Updating from OpenTX 2.1.x to latest 2.2.x

Allan Bennett

I'm planning to update my Taranis from OpenTX 2.1.9 to the latest 2.2.x (2.2.3 I believe) but I'm paranoid about the possibility of bricking my transmitter, or having to manually reinstall all my 20-or-so models, so have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find the answer to yet:-

I'm aware of the advice to backup my transmitter before starting, but do I do that using OpenTX Companion 2.1 or 2.2?

I'm also vaguely aware that some file names need to be truncated to work with 2.2.x, so is it best to do that with my present 2.1.9 setup before saving it, or wait until I'm loading the models back into 2.2.x?

Allan I'd backup using companion 2.1.9 then store the backup away as a copy somewhere safe. That way, whatever you do, you have a something you can go back to. I think I'd take a backup of the 2.1.9 TX firmware too, just for piece of mind.

As for the shorter filenames, I'd deal with that afterwards. Just see what works and what doesn't.

If folk get problems with the process, it's usually with the PC recognising that the Tx is connected to it, or problems with windows drivers etc.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/03/2019 11:38:46

Almost done!

I had quite a successful afternoon, and my transmitter (Taranis 9D+) now reports that it's got bootloader 2.2.3 and OpenTx 2.2.3.

But when I switch on I get an SD Card Warning "Expected version: 2.2V0018". I've followed a couple of online videos which confirm that I have copied the current SD card data (except Sounds) onto my SD card correctly, but the message still shows. I can press any key to continue, and the trannie seems to be behaving correctly, with all my customised sounds working, all my models there, but none of my model images showing.

What am I missing, please?

Edited By Allan Bennett on 04/03/2019 19:57:55

The only thing that warning checks is that a particular file is in the root of the SD card. Check the file is there. It's called something like SD card version.

If that's not there, copy it from the downloaded card contents. If it is, then I can check the file's contents against mine. I'm sure the contents is just a number.

Edit:-

In my Horus the file is called opentx.sdcard.version

Opening it with windows notepad and all that's in there is the text 2.2V0018

This Horus is on openTx V 2.2.3

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/03/2019 20:29:52

I've just checked my SD card, and there's nothing in the root directory other than all my model .eepe files, and subdirectories  BMP, CROSSFIRE, etc.. So, using Notepad, I've created a file called 'opentx.sdcard.version' with a single line of '2.2V0018'. But I still get the error message when I put the card back in my trannie.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 04/03/2019 21:09:48

IIRC it is, as Chris says just a version number You only need locate and open the file in notepad then change & save it with the expected number.

It's explained in Martin Phillips OpenTx 2.2 documents available as pdf downloads which I've just looked up.

Section 7 page 13 refers to the error message you're experiencing.

Quote :

This is easily overcome in one of two ways:
 Simply copy the newer version of opentx.sdcard.version from the new SD card download in place of the old one, or:
 To save having to download the new SD card contents, load the opentx.sdcard.version file into something like Notepad and just change the version number to the one shown in the error message above and resave.

Thanks PatMc. I printed a 'manual' (not sure if it was from that link) when I got started with my Taranis but, as with many reference documents (and videos) these days it never seems to cover the little niggles that occur when you're changing or updating, rather than starting from scratch. I've now got to find how to get my model images back, so I'll look through that link again.

And I will check each model thoroughly Chris!

• 2 weeks later...

First opportunity for a full-duration flight today, and I've noticed I'm missing the "minutes" and "seconds" from my countdown timer. The few other default sounds I use (e.g. "Switch Warning" ) work okay, as do my custom sounds, but my countdown timer announces the minutes and seconds with just a number, e.g. "six" instead of "six minutes".

What have I missed, please?

Edited By Allan Bennett on 17/03/2019 16:57:15

Sorted

The video I used to show me how to update instructed me not to copy the new SOUNDS folder onto the SD card "if your're using a custom sound pack". I've created and use many custom sounds, so omitted the SOUNDS folder. But evidently this doesn't count as a 'custom sound pack', so copying over the new SOUNDS folder onto the SD card has done the job.