Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance

Just a few photos to show where I am on this journey. I have bought the pre-cut parts etc. from Sarik models by the way. Not finally sure if I will invert the engine yet or stay with 90 deg as per plan.

Photo 1 Shows General view of fuz formers.

Photo 2 Shows some of the ribs. Cut from lite ply.

Photo 3 Shows the engine that will power her. It is an OS62V (same type as in my Skywriter). Looking as if to keep prop driver as per plan then F1 will need to be repositioned about 1/4 to 1/2 in rearwards.  The 62 is a tad longer that a 52 surpass which was what I understand Lindsey Todd used on the prototype

img_6360.jpg

img_6361.jpg

img_6362.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 02/03/2019 10:22:10

Quick dry fit to work out Engine and fuel tank layout.

Inverted engine layout seem favourite for me with a SLEC yellow tank which should give a long duration in the air. F2 moves back about 1/2 in and will need a very small infill at base to maintain driver position and cowl shape to plan.

Probably will not have a top hatch which will make front Fuz stronger.

img_6367.jpg

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 13:11:31:

The curvy bits on the added on parts of the fuselage increase the glueing area though Pete, so the bond will be stronger. Mmm, not sure about the Slec tank though. I much prefer Dubro or Sullivan tanks. The Sullivan tanks have a moulded in tag on the rear with a hole in so you can hook a bit of wire on and pull them out more easily should the need arise...and the Dubro tanks have the lower part of the tank projecting forward past the filler neck, which virtually eliminates the chance of trapping the tank tubing as it passes through the engine bulkhead. The Slec tanks have a similar design, but use those awful plastic outlets which can get oily, at which point the pipes slip off.........

I'm pleased to see the quality of the lazer cutting looks good. I ordered a set of parts for the Ohmen a couple of weeks back, but they have still to arrive. I did read that Sarik have quite a number of back orders for parts sets though, so it may be a while yet. It's good to see/hear building is gaining popularity once more......

P.S. Adding a floor to the tank bay will make tank extraction easier too. A bit of 1/8 sheet balsa or liteply with holes in it for lightness might do it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 13:29:38

Agree on the idea of a Dubro Tank Percy. I have just used one in my 80 in Seagull Chipmunk. One good thing with a Dubro tank is that you can add a second Clunk pick-up for refuel/defuel which is very useful.

The Sarik parts are pretty nice as well as you have commented. There is a tank floor included in the precut parts as well. My set of parts did take a while from Sarik and when I asked them they seemed to be very busy. Good to hear as we need the plans service to survive and not to be lost.

Cheers

Peter

Horizontal bits to help form the tail end of the fuselage? They might also make a tailplane seat?

Build looks good. Parts look nicely cut from what I can see.

I find a bit of string tied around the tank facilitates easy removal back through the former at wing front.

"but I just don't like those plastic outlets or that threaded nipple into the very same plastic"

New tube, IPA to wipe clean the plastic outlets, dash of silicon sealant to stick the tubes on. They can be wired on as well if more security is desired.

Threaded nipple, light touch required.

Holes in the firewall, make a loose fit with the tubes, then a bit more sealant when the tank is finally installed.

I have heard they can crack around the join, but I've not experienced that problem.

They make good use of the available space, and they've always been reliable for me.

As always, YMMV.

Progress so far.

Basic side fuz underway. I have decided to revert to engine as per plan i.e. 90 deg. F1 is moving about 1cm rearwards. Therefore the tank floor has bee trimmed to suit. The servo floor will be trimmed to allow fuel tank to be fitted/removed to the rear and not via top hatch. which will be made permenant fit and non removable.  I feel that will add strength to the fuz and with a 4 stroke that is no bad thing.

Trial run to see how this works shown below.

img_6371.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:27:16

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is going well on the Fus. No real issues noted so far. Instrument panel has been mounted. I have used some dials that came yonks ago free on a copy of RCM&E. I'm running out so come on mag how about some more please. As you can see I have gone for 90deg engine mount as per plan.

img_6376.jpg

img_6377.jpg

I have deviated a bit on the Undercarrige. I have some old used Legs from an ARTF (demised Seagull Edge 540) so have decided to rework these.

Paint has been stripped away and bend altered in line with the plan and then a second bend. Yet to finish these and I have not yet decided to repaint or not. I will not be adding the extra spreader bar as per plan as they do not need it.

img_6380.jpg

Hi Pete, noticed you used one of the swivel fittings on the throttle servo. I used the type with a bolt through the fitting that attaches to the servo that let's the assembly swivel easily. Problem I had was that the bolt head wore through the housing and I lost control of the throttle, on the up side I found that I had 18 min run time on a full tank. Not easy to check for wear in that area, but I do use the throttle a lot when I fly, worth keeping an eye open for wear on the fitting.

Great build blog 👍

20180821_142622.jpg