2019 Mass Build

I think the "announcing the mass build" thread has stretched far beyond its original intentions.

With the sad loss of Dave Burton (BEB) I think we owe it to him to keep ourselves organised and run a nice tight mass build and encourage as many folk as we can to join in.

So, could folk announce their intentions in this thread, then each builder should start their own build thread in the "2019 RCM&E Fly-in Mass Build" topic.

That way we can follow each build separately rather than see one thread that chops and changes between different models.

Hi, I'll start mine.

First question, am I missing something, but I can't find any detail on the centre section of the wing. The drawing shows the other wing section and then not much as if it should be depicted somewhere else.

Just need the rub spacing for the inner ribs?

20190303_170613.jpg

I could jus make the two wings and fill in the missing gaps

Hi Chris

Sad to hear about the loss of BEB. I did not know him however but had seen many posts from him on the Forum.

One or two questions.

1.Who is now the main moderator of the mass builds?

2. In the initial announcement there was mention of a meet up at Buckminster for the build. Is that still the plan?

3. Any idea what the winning Lottery numbers are for next Saturday?

4. Any chance we could get the designer Lyndsey Todd on board?

Best Regards

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 07:38:58

Posted by Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 07:15:25:

Hi Chris

Sad to hear about the loss of BEB. I did not know him however but had seen many posts from him on the Forum.

One or two questions.

1.Who is now the main moderator of the mass builds?

2. In the initial announcement there was mention of a meet up at Buckminster for the build. Is that still the plan?

3. Any idea what the winning Lottery numbers are for next Saturday?

4. Any chance we could get the designer Lyndsey Todd on board?

Best Regards

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 07:38:58

Hi LPP.

1. We don't have a main moderator. None of us are available all the time but hopefully there's always one or more of us looking in.

2. Yes there's an RCM&E fly in this year at Buckminster on 14-15 Sept.

3. Keeping those to myself.

4. I can certainly PM Lindsay and as if he'll have a look in.

Posted by Chris Walby on 03/03/2019 20:48:12:

Hi, I'll start mine.

First question, am I missing something, but I can't find any detail on the centre section of the wing. The drawing shows the other wing section and then not much as if it should be depicted somewhere else.

Just need the rub spacing for the inner ribs?

20190303_170613.jpg

I could jus make the two wings and fill in the missing gaps

I was wondeing the same thing too. The plans seem to only show the left wing. how is everyone tackling the right wing and centre section?

Edited By Raymond Perina on 04/03/2019 11:58:10

Hi, I think someone may have replied to this but they are top and bottom of the tail seat where the fuselage joins at the tailplaine. There is also a thin piece of ply that provides a support for the tail wheel.

Posted by Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 07:30:56:

Hi all

Does anyone have any idea where this part fits? (6mm Triangular 2 off).

img_6368.jpg

Posted by tony oneill 1 on 04/03/2019 14:51:17:

Hi, I think someone may have replied to this but they are top and bottom of the tail seat where the fuselage joins at the tailplaine. There is also a thin piece of ply that provides a support for the tail wheel.

Posted by Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 07:30:56:

Hi all

Does anyone have any idea where this part fits? (6mm Triangular 2 off).

img_6368.jpg

They look like the rear infils to fuzz, tailplane seat and tailwheel support, plan says 3mm though ?

I agree Chris. Plan shows 11 each per wing. The parts supplied from SARIK are 24 ribs so there are 2 extra ones. I had already considered making an extra one for the centre joint of the 2 wing halves so I will be able to use these extras on the centre line.

Chris I think there are in total 3 main ply plates that show dihedral.  2 with holes for wing dowels which are different lengths and the main one which will install by the ribs.  Don't cut anything until you are sure of dimensions.

Remember measure twice and cut once, or u could be sorry.

.smiley

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:40:35

Posted by Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:13:06:

That looks great Tony. Can I send you my panel for finishing pleasewink Are those Pin Heads perchance?

Cheers

Peter

Thanks peter, well spotted they are pinheads. The rest is the harvard instrument panel download from this site amd resised with the printer to fit behind the holes. There is also a thin sheet of plastic to give the impression of glass. Doesn't show in the picture though

Chris you may have a point. A very quick look at this early hour suggests that the dotted line on the plan for the wing centre line may be incorrectly drawn at the least. We need to correctly establish what the problem is before we assemble the wing.  My gut feeling is that the main brace may also be long.  It would not be the first time to have anomalies on the plans and also the cut parts as well.

Would be best to check via the designer Lyndsey Todd if possible. I will do some more detailed measurements later if possible today.

Best regards

Peter

PS  if you take a look at the build instructions you can see that when Lyndsey built the original the main brace did not meet the No 2 rib.  That picture also confirms that 11 ribs per wing half is correct.  Also I would expect that if the dimensions of the 2 dowel locating parts for the front of the wing align with holes in F2 then this would be a good guide to the final correct dimensions of wing centre section between the first rib on each wing half,  Hope that makes sense.

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:30:42

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:38:05

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:39:11

Ref anomalies on wing build. This why in my opinion the Mass Builds are so useful and good interaction. The feedback via this Forum is great and we all hopefully end up with a great model which may not be exactly the same but as a result of some hard work and thought regarding plans etc. look and fly well.

I have never designed my own model to date but this is now my third Mass build and I had similar small queries much as Chris has found on the other ones. Free plans sometime do not seem to be transcribed as per the original designer intended as the plans are drawn up by others for print. I'm sure Peter Miller would agree with me on this as the Ballerina plans (MB 2016) had some small issues. Ballerina was however a very successful Mass Build.  I converted Skywriter (MB 2017) to IC power and have a super sport biplane.

Happy building everyone.

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 05:09:09

Hi LPP,

I thought II had measured from wingtip to dotted line and the wingspan was about right!

I'll redraw it tonight with the correct wing dihedral and see if it comes out where you indicate on your photo, no doubt you are right.

Good job this is a mass build I would have made even more mistakes than normal wink

Posted by Chris Walby on 05/03/2019 13:10:57:

Hi LPP,

I thought II had measured from wingtip to dotted line and the wingspan was about right!

I'll redraw it tonight with the correct wing dihedral and see if it comes out where you indicate on your photo, no doubt you are right.

Good job this is a mass build I would have made even more mistakes than normal wink

Proves the point I made earlier Chris ref value of mass builds. Measure twice cut once I say again.

Cheers

Peter