Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance

Hi,

Made a good start due to the poor weather.

I'll be using the laser cut parts and going electric as I don't have anything IC that small! Plus I have the motor and ESC left over from my BH Speed Air so I might as well use the bits up.

Fuselage under construction and other sections of wings being CA'ed.

20190303_170613.jpg

Slow progress as I have been doing other modelling and non modelling bits and bobs.

Got stuck with wing ribs as near the centre section as I have too many ribs and did not realise the importance of which one goes where.

Lesson 1 - make all the ribs are in the right place for aileron plate and wing root for joining

On to the fuselage and I thought I would dry fit all the way back to the tail. Its not clear to me how the stringers all converge on various ply formers. I'll post photos on the main MB forum thread.

20190304_200415.jpg

Edited By Chris Walby on 05/03/2019 06:58:15

Back to the wing tonight and after LPP suggestion that the centre line for the wing on the plan was in the wrong place and a few checks by me I was happy to glue it together.

20190305_174424.jpg

I need to make a couple of 36mm wingtip blocks to get the 3 degrees of dihedral and I should have the basis wing structure finished.

I seem to be a bit confused with the rear fuselage so there might be a few questions for the main forum blush

Good progress with odd bits here and there over the last few days including:

• Front cowl
  • F2 to instrument panel
  • Rear longorons glued
  • Rear fuselage infill sections
  • Wing LE and TE strips

Looking quite nice, just hope it is!

20190308_161915.jpg

Had a bit of success with the electric motor mount as I didn't like the look of long studs (nothing wrong) just I remembered I had a couple of "spare" motor extension boxes from ARTF ic models. Completely justified storing a shed full of bits and now I have used a part! Photo to be sent once I get to the shed again.

20190308_161927.jpg

Questions

Do I just glue the rear fuselage together construct the tail and sandwich it (seem logical to me), just can't tell on the drawings?

Is it better to shape the things like the top rear fuselage capping and then glue or glue the square and shape in-situ?

Edited By Chris Walby on 09/03/2019 07:01:12

Update time even if it just a couple of small things!

Centre section of the wing progressing and a bit more of the front fuselage done.

Servos have turned up (thought I had enough, but a couple short...the expense!)

20190314_194616.jpg

20190314_202132.jpg

If anyone has finished the back of the wing mounting holes etc a photo would assist.

Tony,

Will do once I get home as I didn't record what I did. Don't forget to use your washout blocks when you are gluing the wings together so as to the dihedral and the washout.

Still need to work out how I the do it again upside down when sheeting the wings, as that apparently stops the tristing in the future!

I glued one with the dihedral braces and let it set. Then glued the other tipped up.

Not saying I am right, but here's my logic!

Wing length (mine was a bit shorter as I mistook the drawing centre line crying) is 687mm at 3 degrees

Using a web calculator it comes up with 36mm (not forgetting your washout block!) so lay one wing flat and set the other on 72mm (dihedral for both wings!) blocks.... still not forgetting your washout block!

Hope that helps...or just ask away smiley

Hi,

If you do it the normal way up...you can join them, but not sheet the underside!

Lifting the horizontal wing 78mm and upside down would mean you could join and sheet..too complicated for me.

Once joined I was going to invert the wing by 38mm in the middle. Pack the LE up 6mm. Pin it all to the building board and sheet away blush

PS there is probably a much easier way to do this...someone chip in, thanks

Update time, not a lot of visible progress as I am working at the back end and things I have missed!

Following the wing measuring I was measuring and measuring, but not doing anything productive as I was not sure the dotted line is the horizontal stabiliser centre or not.

20190324_155455.jpg Well lets hope it is as I eventually go the glue out and got stuck in, frown

20190324_161523.jpg

Daft question, do I have to use my own wing and fuselage sheeting balsa or am I missing some from the wood pack?

Edited By Chris Walby on 24/03/2019 21:23:02

Hi Chris, i went with that as the center line as well but the build article and the pictures seem different. So i glued in a little packing piece to increase the width a little to ensure clearance for the movement of the rudder and elevators. the wood pack i received does not have any 1.5mm in it either. i ordered it from ebay should arrive today i hope. I thought the same that the wood pack would have everything needed in it. I also seem to have loads of 6 x 6 mm stringers left.

Regards

Tony.

Hi Chris. I have 2 sheets of 3mm in my pack which I'm assuming is for the fuselage. There is no 1.5mm. I am buying some 2mm to replace the 3mm as comments already expressed are that the 3mm is a little thick and that 2mm would have been better. I could feather it but as a total beginner my thoughts are to keep it as simple as i can . I will get the 1.5mm at the samee time

Cheers

Jim