Tony Oneilll Renaissance

I was short of a couple of clamps and came up with this idea, i think i should patent it lol. I cut a rubber band and tied one end to a clamp then streched the band round the leading edge. I caugth the other end in the jaw and hay presto an adjustable gripper. Might help someone with the same problem.1553443084034.jpg

Hi jim, the filler at the end is 6mm sheet about 12mm wide. I glued it directly on the end and rounded it off to give smooth finish to the rudder. Its not rounded much but is done. If you are talking about the sheeting the white strip is filler to smooth the join. I used cardboard to make a template for the sheeting then soaked in water for a few seconds. Pinned it to shape and let dry. Then glued it in. Used the 2mm thick sheet in the wood pack.

Tony.

Wet 2mm shapes quite easily. I bought 1.5mm for the wings. Plenty of pins and rubber bands lol. Hope the kitchen work goes well peter. We are in a caravan with the two youngest grandchildren for a short break so no progress till the weekend. I'm going to progress the fuselage and start sheeting the wings. Im happy with progress though.

Hi Peter, its on the wing drawing shown as 3mm web. I did it with the grain running in the same direction as the spars, horizontally. I cut the pieces to fit each bay, glued to the spar top and bottom and also to the formers on the edge. Only on the front main spar and only to where the plywood joing piece fits. This can then be sanded flush for the sheeting to cover.

Tony

Found out where i went a bit wrong with the centre of the wing. Back at the start of the build in the main thread there is a discussion about the centre line of the wing. I forgot about that! The dotted lines on the drawing are not the centre line its where the drawing stops. Its about 1.5cm past the dotted line.

Now i have figured that out i should be able to complet the wing.

Hi Tony

Ive not started the wings yet and as you know working blind most of the time but didnt Todd Lindsey say something in the general thread, to the effect that the distance between one of the spars near to the fuselage should be less than the others. I was assuming that would pull the wing length in to the centre line. I was planning on using that info when i got there.

Did you do Todd's measurement and still 15mm past centre line or followed plan and moved line 15mm.

Or possibly im miles out with all this theory

Cheers

Jim

Hi jim, the drawing above is the correct positioning of the centre line. I measured my wing and the centre is 40mm from the last rib almost perfect with the drawing.so using lyndsay's picture will position everything correctly. Mine is not as bad as i though, it will fit and look ok.i took the line nearest the rib as the centre and as such cut the stringers short. So i added a bit in and may add some more to beef it up a bit, but it seems strong and the sheeting will help.

Tony

Finished the tail fitting, the picture shows the fin fitted with block either side. I didnt have a suitable sized block so i laminated some 6 mm balsa to make 2, one for either side. I fitred a fin spacer then trimmed the blocks roughly to shape before glueing them in place. I removed the spacer at this point. When dry i shaped them and installed the fin. It went in great and is firmly attached. I also added another hinge below rhe elevator line.

tail block.jpg

thanks matt, yes on closer inspection I had cut the main longerons a bit short. so when I fitted the plywood parts I built up the missing parts and filled in the gaps. it seems to be quite strong and is fitting on the plane properly. I have started to sheet the wings so ill post up a picture or two of that.

regards

tony