Jim build thread

So my build has started. Will be a slow job but already learning loads from the other builds. Chris, you reckon it will be the naughty step if you don't do this in 6 months. If i manage it n 6 months I will be parading like Usain Bolt at the Olympics.

First of many questions. John has put the fittings in for the motor, which I need to buy. From what Chris has stated earlier am I right that I need something around 500KV. Bare in mind I am a total novice learning on a foam trainer. I don't need light speed.....yet.

20190307_164254.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hi jim, i decided to go with a ripmax quantum 40 motor and 60A speed controller with a 4 cell battery at 14.4 volts. This is the equivalent of a .40 or 6cc two stroke engine. This should give the plane trainer like flight (i hope) as i am moving on from high wing trainers. I have two other .40 two stroke planes, both low wing thats why i went electric.

Motor mounts can be make from plywood, or you can buy ready made aluminium ones. There is a mounting plate on the rear of the motor that fits to the mount.

I went with threaded rod as its cheap, will be covered and will be easy to angle the motor if i need to. First time I've tried it though, so if its no good its easy to change. That said its stronger that i thought and with the motor fitted there is no movement so I'm confident it will be ok. I used M4 rod with nylock self locking nuts and plain washers. All from B and Q total cost around 7 quid. The motor and speed controller were about 70 quid together.

Regards

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony. I think I have now sourced the parts. Looked at yours and I think my calcs are ok. I will share more later. I have for now something of a problem and staring at the drawing and you photos has drawn a blank. F2 and F2a I see the 3mm overhang each side from F2a to F2 but cant see how this fits when F2 fits flush to the fuselage side. See photos. I know it's probably obvious but unfortunately not to me frown20190309_175920.jpg20190309_175926.jpg

Now THAT'S what I call a proper motor mount box - unlike the delicate little thing that arrived on the front of my Wot4-e fuselage - that fell apart the first time the prop' clipped the grass on landing, not even hard enough to peck, let alone trip her up and flip her over.

Sorry - off topic rant - but looking at the picture above I'm sure you can see my point.

Ref F2 and 2A. These are laminated to align the wing dowel holes and 2A is 1/8 in wider each side. I have just put a slot onto the fuz doubler to provide a keyway for 2A. This helps to hold the assembly in place.

I have also fitted some additional 1/2 in square behind F1 to give a more positive location. I am using a 62 4 stroke so I feel it wise to beef up some areas accordingly. I have also revised the tank floor as I intend not to have a tank hatch but fit the fuel tank from the rear through F2 Not having a hatch will mean more strength.

Hope that is useful.

Cheers

Peter

I'm thinking I have come across my first major mistake but may have a solution I hope and your advice would be greatly appreciated . I'll start with the photos

20190324_085108.jpg

Nothing is fitting around the cowling area, I've been studying the drawings and still don't see the problem but studying your photos I think I have set the triangular piece that butts to F1 to high then placed a 6mm stringer along the bottom. Also it all finishes flush at the front. I don't think this is correct as the 2 cowling pieces don't fit inside.

If I'm right on this I think the solution s to cut this triangular piece to fit. Hope this makes sense to you and you can advise.

Thanks Jim

Hi folks. I am reading the posts you are all making with great interest and would ask a favour, could you post a picture showing the problem/resolutions. Most of what you are saying is going over my head especially as i have not started the wings yet and am still working on the fuselage

. I have found all of your photos of the fuselage an absolute boon as i progress and refer to them and the drawings together all the time.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Jim

I hadn't realised at the time but it was out of square consequently when i tried to fit the solid piece that follows it there was a gap. I had to remove F7 and the stringers top and bottom and the cross members between F6 and 7. I haven't glued it back together yet but the dry clamping looks ok. Also the bottom stringers for some reason are now to short so i need to add some on.

hi Jim, i noticed on another thread you said you were waiting on a leading edge. Don't know about others but there was no leading edge in the wood pack i received. i cut a piece of 6mm sheet a couple of mm's wider than the front of the wing formers. on mine this was about 16mm's. this gives a lip to butt the sheeting to and the leading edge is then planed and sanded to profile. at least that is my interpretation of the drawing.

could another builder chip in on this?

regards

tony.