Prostate Cancer

Martian

I,m lucky I got diagnosed early so treatment will work.

Spread the word get tested for prostate cancer if you are over 50 it is usually a blood test for PSA which is prostate specific antigens if it is raised for your age further tests may be recommended, The sneaky thing about prostate cancer there are no symptoms until it's well advanced then your are in for a unpleasant end to your life. Even if you have to have a DRE (Digital Rectal Examination) it is no big deal and a whole lot better than dying .

• Like 2

Another vote for Get Tested!

I have had two “scares”.

In 2015 I started getting tested after a urine infection and a slightly raised PSA blood test. Multipoint biopsy (sounds worse than it is, I couldn’t class it even as uncomfortable!) clear, and eventually PSA dropped back to “normal”.

2018 PSA again tested raised. Leeds this time did a MRI scan (considered in some cases a more effective test) and advised enlarged prostate but nothing of concern on the scan which at 66 suggests unlikely to have problems in future, higher PSA level not unexpected due to enlargement. Also PSA level varies day to day.

If there is a problem best caught and treated as early as possible, better to know rather than bury the head in the sand.

Just a year since I was diagnosed with stage 2/3 Prostate Cancer. I had had regular "finger" examinations, up to about 3 years ago as I had for some time had a need to get up during the night for a pee. Findings were only of a slightly enlarged Prostate, no need to worry. Need to get up during the night increased to 2 sometimes 3 times, mentioned this to doctor, PSA test followed immediately which showed significantly raised PSA levels. Immediate referral to Urology department at Churchill Hospital Oxford. MRI and Multipoint biopsy followed quickly, then offered either surgery or radiotherapy plus hormone treatment. I chose surgery, 4.5 hour keyhole surgery, home next day a few weeks recuperation and almost back to normal. 8 Weeks from referral to Surgery, can't praise the Churchill team enough, they were brilliant.

A year on and all is clear.

If you're over 50 PSA tests are available on demand, so if in doubt get tested, it's only a simple blood test and might avoid the consequences of Prostate Cancer.

Ian

• Like 1

I've had a scan and a couple of camera scope tests (slight discomfort but no pain) and was given the all clear, although I still have to get up in the night frown.

The only thing I would say is that when you go for the DRE, if you can, pick your doctor with long thin fingers and short nails, I did, she was very careful and I didn't feel a thing blush

• Like 1

Had a panic myself a few months ago - "frequency" and "urgency" plus up at least twice in the night to produce not much more than an egg cupful sometimes, quite rapid in onset too so perhaps even more worrying. Saw our Doctor, who I have huge respect for and faith in ( even got me new hip for Christmas, December before last! ) Usual procedure ( let's not go into details ) and was reassured by Doctor that everything feels normal + blood test = PSA normal range. "You've got a Sensitive Bladder" quoth he - and no - you're not going to have to wear plastic Y fronts stuffed with blotting paper! He started me on a medication called Betmiga - one tiny tablet daily, at bedtime - problem fixed, immediately! The treatment has been transformative - the luxury of uninterrupted sleep. So the moral of this story - if you think ( or you know ) you have a problem with your plumbing - don't delay - get thee to a medic ASAP - things might not be as bad as you feared - and if you're lucky like me you might be fixed on the spot.

Posted by BackinBlack on 07/04/2019 19:38:23:

Just a year since I was diagnosed with stage 2/3 Prostate Cancer. I had had regular "finger" examinations, up to about 3 years ago as I had for some time had a need to get up during the night for a pee. Findings were only of a slightly enlarged Prostate, no need to worry. Need to get up during the night increased to 2 sometimes 3 times, mentioned this to doctor, PSA test followed immediately which showed significantly raised PSA levels. Immediate referral to Urology department at Churchill Hospital Oxford. MRI and Multipoint biopsy followed quickly, then offered either surgery or radiotherapy plus hormone treatment. I chose surgery, 4.5 hour keyhole surgery, home next day a few weeks recuperation and almost back to normal. 8 Weeks from referral to Surgery, can't praise the Churchill team enough, they were brilliant.

If you're over 50 PSA tests are available on demand, so if in doubt get tested, it's only a simple blood test and might avoid the consequences of Prostate Cancer.

Ian

I am, as of last Friday, at this stage. Now awaiting a bone scan to ensure the C hasn’t spread. It goes into bones apparently. I’m told that if that is clear, then I get the hormone plus radiation treatment (every day for 4 to 7 weeks)

i haven’t been offered the keyhole surgery option. Do you think I should query that? The consultant mentioned that 1 in 8 men will suffer this, so yea get checked. Early is good.

Posted by Robin Etherton on 08/04/2019 08:30:17:

If you are going to get a rectal examination try to get a lady doctor. They have smaller hands and it’s not so painful.

Having watched my brother-in-law die slowly and painfully I would advise anyone to get tested and if necessary get examined, even if the doctor is built like a gorilla. A few minutes of discomfort does not compare with the pain and suffering he went through. I took the advice he gave me, had the PSA test and the examination, and my cancer was discovered and removed early. That was seven years ago, and I still think of him every day.

Please don't be put off getting checked due to fear of the finger. The truth is sticking a finger up the backside of someone without symptoms is not a particularly useful test in the majority of cases and therefore (as a GP with massive hands) I tend to just not do it.

It's useful if someone has symptoms (to see if the prostate is enlarged) but for screening of asymptomatic patients it's not useful or strictly required and as said it puts up the PSA test for the next few weeks.

What's increasingly apparent is that changes in the PSA level within normal are also quite important IE if a patient's PSA level is still normal but has doubled in a year or two it can be very relevant.

So the answer gents is please get your GP to check your PSA level annually and just decline the finger if offered and you don't want it!

Ditto for actinic keratoses.

If you know what these are, skip the rest. If not, read on.

I'm seeing the dermatologist later today for the third time in 10 years, as a fairly direct result of having sat on top of the old Winter Shed at Headingley, hatless, for a couple of days too many. 30 years later the skin damage is manifesting itself.

Luckily, keratoses are low grade pre-cancerous and in my case easily treated with stuff called Efudix but they're a symptom of the damage that easily leads to much more serious carcinomas and these are frequently fatal. Small, hard persistent spots and slight soreness are my tell-tales, forehead and scalp. In terms, I now avoid sun contact altogether, no short sleeves, sun block on hands and all of the neck upwards.

Having returned to flying 3 or 4 years ago I now spend long periods in the sun. I urge you to think about this, unless you're blessed with especially high levels of melanin (I was going to write "especially dark skin" but I suspect I'm not allowed that old and robust English language any more).

BTC

Posted by Glyn44 on 08/04/2019 07:33:38:
Posted by BackinBlack on 07/04/2019 19:38:23:

Ian

I am, as of last Friday, at this stage. Now awaiting a bone scan to ensure the C hasn’t spread. It goes into bones apparently. I’m told that if that is clear, then I get the hormone plus radiation treatment (every day for 4 to 7 weeks)

i haven’t been offered the keyhole surgery option. Do you think I should query that? The consultant mentioned that 1 in 8 men will suffer this, so yea get checked. Early is good.

Sorry to hear that. The positive thing is that you have been diagnosed.

I can only repeat the information given to me and can offer no advice except for people to get checked out at the first signs of anything untoward.

The Oncologist I saw explained that in my case the hormone treatment would have been carried out first for a period of 4-6 months, then radiation treatment every day for 4-6 weeks, then further hormone therapy for up to 9 months.

I felt that for me surgery was less disruptive.

It is well worth looking through the MacMillan Leaflets explaining the surgery and radiation procedures and their respective benefits and downsides.

Posted by David Mellor on 08/04/2019 14:05:39:

As I said, I'm sure the post is well intentioned.

It's just based on 20 odd years of doing DREs and acceptance amongst clinicians that it's a fairly unhelpful test and good evidence that many clinicians struggle interpreting what they're finding. I still do it on an almost daily basis (patients expect it and usually after discussion agree to have it). However my post was an attempt to point out that DRE isn't the be all and end all of prostate checking and very useful monitoring could occur without it.

IE most of the time people agree to a DRE but lots more don't come to get screened because they falsely think that screening only occurs via DRE and don't want one. Which is beyond a shame.

First lets be clear there are reliable sources for advice and information such as your GP and Prostate Cancer UK

my only aim for this thread is to draw attention to this cancer that has an absolutely painful and horrible way to die and 1 man every 45mins dies from Prostate Cancer that may have been successfully treated.

many many thanks for you all for your anecdotal post who knows who it may help even if its only 1

Bump the lump

http://www.annfammed.org/content/16/2/149 is one of many studies I'd point to

Digital Rectal Examination for Prostate Cancer Screening in Primary Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

" CONCLUSION Given the considerable lack of evidence supporting its efficacy, we recommend against routine performance of DRE to screen for prostate cancer in the primary care setting. "

As said, it doesn't do harm to do it but people shouldn't be put off getting checked because of the fear of DRE when its fairly unhelpful in asymptomatic screening.