Prostate Cancer

Martian

I've never has a PSA blood test in my young life (71) but, prompted by this thread, I'm booked in next Thursday to have a Claret extraction thinking

My GP told me that our American cousins routinely have annual PSA blood tests.

Edited By Eagle 899 on 24/05/2019 16:43:30

Has anyone been prescribed Tamsulosin, which is a drug taken in tablet form to diminish the symptoms of a swollen prostate gland? The other day I was speaking with a chap about my age of 74 who told me that he'd been on the tablet for 20 years and that although it's not a cure, it does reduce the usual problems of urgency, frequency, weak stream, inability to pee, and getting up in the middle of the night. I hadn't heard of Tamsulosin before, despite googling for prostate treatments.

I had my first PSA blood test two months ago and my GP (well, not mine as we keep being switched about in our medical centre) said all was within limits without being specific. I didn't know there was a scale of numbers detailing the state of play until I saw mention of them on this thread.

I've been a prostate sufferer for over 20 years, and had the finger test back then when the doc said there was little swelling. Now I've decided to make another appointment to get more detail about my recent blood test results, and ask about Tamsulosin. The chap I spoke with reckoned that about 50% of men his age were on the tablet at his medical centre in a nearby town.

I,ve been on Tamusulosin for at least 5 years still have get up about 4 times a night. 're PSA levels it's measured against age if higher than it is expected to be for your age it is usually checked further , forget the odds ,every 45mins a man does as a result of undetected prostate cancer usually invading bones and bowel and not at all a pleasant way to go.

Edited By Martian on 24/05/2019 18:50:05

I had my test and my PSA level was only 1.1 whereas a normal reading for an over 70 person is 5.00. I was told that despite the test there was no guarantee that I did not have cancer. A further rectal test showed no problems, however there was a slight issue of sugar level in my blood which the doctor said I could ignore or alternatively get more advice on. I opted for the latter.. Thanks again for the originator of this thread.

Awakened by the thread, I did some reading on the NHS and Prostate Cancer UK websites to better inform myself on prostate matters. Today the doc told me that my PSA blood test showed a level of 2.4 which sounds OK for a 74-year-old. A rectal test found the prostate to be well enlarged and after a discussion which covered the options of tablets or surgery, I decided to go for tablets with a further consultation in 2 months to check on how well the treatment is working. He prescribed Tamsulosin to reduce the symptoms, and Finasteride to eventually shrink the prostate, which could take 6 months.

It feels good to have finally done something about getting medical attention, and I thank Martian for starting the thread, and all others who have contributed with their experiences and advice.

I'v been on Tamsulosin for years, my understanding is it relaxes the bladder muscles and helps with urination,

Dutasteride is another drug for treating enlarged prostate and helps to keep it from absorbing free testosterone and growing larger, Tamsulosin also goes by the generic name of "Flomax" I believe. Keep up with the PSA tests and the "wiggly finger" as not all enlarged prostates are cancerous.

Posted by fly-navy on 30/05/2019 00:54:09:

Good luck tomorrow WAFU. (He knows who I mean smiley)

Hi FN, I presume you meant me laugh as I don't know of any other ex Andrews on here ?

Had the blood test this morning and have to wait a week for result, fingers crossed. If the result is good I'll raise a tot to you and all the other good people on here, or at least I would if they hadn't stopped it in Aug 71 crying

Shep

PS My brother Danny Shepherd was on Phantoms, 893 Ark Royal as I remember.

I'm sure you will be fine Shep.

That would be 892 matey, only did familiarisation trials on Ark, and 767 at Yeovil for a while. Brawdy, Vic, Brawdy, Hermes Yeovil 63/74 came out redundant, worst decision I ever made.John.

"Pussers" bubbly is quite close. Sorry chaps back on topic now.

Edited By fly-navy on 30/05/2019 20:02:53

Yes I read that Glyn it looks like a game changer radiotherapy is not pleasant at the best of times so minimising the potential damage can only be a blessing lets hope it becomes widely available for all soon . To all of you who are waiting for results I hope the results come back good .

Posted by Martian on 24/05/2019 18:49:24:

I,ve been on Tamusulosin for at least 5 years still have get up about 4 times a night. 're PSA levels it's measured against age if higher than it is expected to be for your age it is usually checked further , forget the odds ,every 45mins a man does as a result of undetected prostate cancer usually invading bones and bowel and not at all a pleasant way to go.

Edited By Martian on 24/05/2019 18:50:05

I was diagnosed as having a benign prostate enlargement for about a year ago, been on Tamulosin since then. Although it definitely has had an overall beneficial effect, like you, about 4 visits a night has become the norm.
I saw my GP on Monday asked if there was alternative medication that might be more effective or if the current routine was likely to be the best I could realistically expect.
He said that I should not have to put up with the situation & has added Betmiga 25mg to my medication with the instruction to see him again in about 4 weeks.

PatMc - My Doctor put me on Betmiga 25mg, once a day, at night - happily, not for my prostate, but 'cos I have developed ( over a very short period of time ) what is colloquially referred to as a "Sensitive Bladder" - it has been transformative, symptoms disappeared within 1/2 an hour and haven't returned, so you're in with a shout.

Following my PSA blood test which was satisfactory, I have been invited on a course to avoid developing Type 2 diabetes. As the course takes place only 1 mile away it seems quite viable so I must sign on.

That's prostate cancer and diabetes sorted for now, what's next. ?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/06/2019 14:45:21

Think there must be a carcinogenic in the fuel we all use. Booked in for my MRI next week following a slightly elevated blood test result. Rule must be don’t lick your fingers after flying or was it after the hospital visit.

After being diagnosed with this in 2006 I was told of the three possible treatments at that time - brachytherapy, chemo therapy or surgery (if my memory isn't playing tricks).

I asked my GP and the consultant which they would opt for given the same degree of the problem as I had. Both said surgery so that it the route I took even following the caveat that incontinence and impotence were possibilities. Fortunately I am not incontinent and at 80 my days of lust are coming to an end anyway.

Since the surgery I have had annual PSA tests and to date the level is non existent.

All in all I feel very fortunate that it was discovered and dealt with.

Malcolm