Burn Crispy Aviators

Not sure if people are aware of the What3Words system is where the world is divided into a grid of 3m x 3m squares and assigned each one a unique 3 word address. It means anyone can accurately find any location and share it more quickly, easily and with less ambiguity than any other system.

This is now used by the UK emergency services, so we have decided to let our club members know our location on this system.

Appropriately the identification for the center of our runway is Burn.Crispy.Aviators, crook

Whats yours?

As Frank says, this is a fantastic system.

Going to a model show or music festival this year and parking your car in a field of dozens of rows and full of hundreds of vehicles?!!!

No problem finding it with What3Words. Just store your (vehicle) location as a favourite and enter directions to when you are ready to depart.

It can be set up for car or foot navigation too, so handy for finding that elusive backstreet model shop, (are there any left?), when visiting a new town.

The 'app' is available from the usual source on your mobile smart phone.

It also gives live traffic updates showing potential delays/hold ups and will offer alternate routes, all with ETAs for you destination.

Brilliant!

The app is well worth having on your phone - I do - so that if you need the emergency services in the middle of a field you don't have to try and describe how you got there, just say "here I am". It's already saved lives apparently.

Just in front of our flightline is Flown.Mile.Grass.

Very appropriate!

Simon

I've already submitted an article for our club's (very famous - it was this week's featured publication on the BBC's Have I Got [a Bit More**] News For You*...available on iPlayer) newsletter recommending the system.

Just a quick question on the app - has anyone noticed a dramatic effect on battery life since loading it? My Android phone's battery performance suddenly dropped off just after I installed it - not sure if it's coincidence or not...

* If you've ever wondered, the headlines were mostly from other publications. I'm the one starting the FW190 on the front page photo...signed photos available at reasonable rates!

wink

** The longer repeat (broadcast yesterday) had some added headlines/comments - David Dimbleby got one in about our annual model exhibition, claiming that "In addition to the trophies, flowers and chocolates are awarded to the winners, who keep the flowers and throw the chocks away" Groan....

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/04/2019 11:31:03

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/04/2019 11:29:36:

I've already submitted an article for our club's (very famous - it was this week's featured publication on the BBC's Have I Got [a Bit More**] News For You*...available on iPlayer) newsletter recommending the system.

Just a quick question on the app - has anyone noticed a dramatic effect on battery life since loading it? My Android phone's battery performance suddenly dropped off just after I installed it - not sure if it's coincidence or not...

* If you've ever wondered, the headlines were mostly from other publications. I'm the one starting the FW190 on the front page photo...signed photos available at reasonable rates!

wink

** The longer repeat (broadcast yesterday) had some added headlines/comments - David Dimbleby got one in about our annual model exhibition, claiming that "In addition to the trophies, flowers and chocolates are awarded to the winners, who keep the flowers and throw the chocks away" Groan....

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/04/2019 11:31:03

I gave up watching HIGNFY a couple of years ago, but just took a peek at the micky take of your club's mag on iPlayer. Thank heavens they didn't pick on BMFA News! Oh well, they say any publicity is good publicity - or something like that.wink

Has 'Plastics and Rubber Weekly' (now defunct engineering trade paper, before you get worried) ever featured?

Good to see at the end that Dimbleby is still sore over you-know-what...........that did make me laughwink

It was done with our blessing - with an assurance that they would be gentle on us! The publicity side was an important consideration - hence we took pains to ensure that the club's name was used in full rather than its more usually used initials....

I was a little surprised that there was no reference to Stacey Dooley being a local but they film for over 2 hours per episode and they might have cut any reference. Did you spot the short piece after the end titles on the extended version - had to laugh when she asked if the whole series was recorded over the next few nights and Ian reminded her that it was based on topical events!

Congratulations on the newsletter btw. Having edited a few sailing and cycle club versions in the past I know how difficult it can be getting contributions - to the extent of having to write most of it myself

The comment about reading something when stuck on the toilet reminded me of my childhood when I used to read the toilet paper and frantically trying to find the rest of a piece lost when the newspaper had been torn into usable squares.

I have heard of the application What3Words but, lacking the necessary smart phone I'll have to continue to use the paper maps I love (particularly OS 50k and 25k:1) and an innate sense of direction. Does sound useful, though.

Geoff

You could just address a letter with the surname and the 3 word code. It would look odd though....

Mr Richards,

Large , Halibut, Geography

Got me thinking thinking

Professor Brian Cox......Large. Hadron. Collider.

D Trump.....Fake.News. Ginger.

Edited By cymaz on 11/04/2019 17:16:35

Two squares near the middle of our runway are;

closet.views.having

boat.issue.smashes

And our pegboard is at prime.sheets.flight

Two more appropriate ones on the strip and in the pits are;

stole.prop.edge

props.pitch.crush

I just had a look over in Canada where my daughter is at the moment. The squares there mostly have much longer words! Like calculator and corporations, and a nearby street-corner has purified.backwards.lecturers - not sure if that's appropraite or not for a university city!

• 2 months later...

At Petersfield Aero Modellers we have an electric fence to protect the patch from damage by livestock. If cattle are in the field, we sometimes make a pen around ourselves and the models, effectively expanding the area of the patch.
And if you type "pens.airstrip.expand" into what3words, you arrive on the south end of our patch.