Build your own telemetry sensors.

There has been interest shown on a few other threads when the home made telemetry sensors have been mentioned.

The article has now appeared in the May issue of RCM&E and a thread had been promised to discuss it.

So with minor trepidation that I'm proved to have done it all wrong, here's said thread. With a bit of luck we'll all learn something.

img_20190412_193957.jpg

img_20190412_194007.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for two great articles, I have ordered some of the PCBs and am looking forward to having a go at making my own telemetry sensors.

I use 4mm banana connectors, so am hoping that I can make a V,A and Cells sensor using this type of connector, instead of having to use an adapter to connect to the XT 60 connector on the FrSKY sensor.

If you were to make the PCB that you mentioned in the article available I would be interested.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 13/04/2019 23:22:55

OK well the handful turned out to be two, oops - that won't get us far. So the bullet has been bitten and I've ordered 50.

Does anyone have any experience of posting thing like this? To keep postage down then something like a cardboard CD envelope might work? That would keep the package thin enough to still class as an envelope.

Any ideas how to keep multiple pcbs edge to edge rather than stacking up, which would push up the thickness?
I have some (not very sticky) paper labels. Maybe they would stick on across them? I guess we don't want any residue leaving on them, whatever I do.

Hi Chris, when the PCBs are available I will probably go for three.

When I was working we used to get Pre Production PCBs sent to us at work in the post. These came just in an envelope with a piece of cardboard either side for protection, we never had any problems or damage to the PCBs, hope this helps.

I am totally new to Arduino but I am starting to find out how it works. When you say changing parameters do you also mean adding lines? i.e. #define ARDUINO_MEASURES_VOLTAGES YES

And the last question, the OpenXsensor sketch that I downloaded does not appear to have the oXs_config_advanced.h file! What am I missing?

Posted by Doc Marten on 15/04/2019 09:25:00:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/04/2019 08:46:08:

Thanks Alan, I may well end up with jiffy bags but I'm hoping I can keep the package thickness below the Royal Mail limit of 0.5cm for letter post.

How about a strip of masking tape onto a cardbord strip?

Yes I think this is what I'm thinking too. At worst people can clean off any masking tape residue with a solvent.