Build your own telemetry sensors.

Also beware, there are a couple of slightly different board layouts of the Arduino pro mini. One will fit the sensor PCB and the other doesn't.

The difference is best spotted at the row of holes at the end opposite to the programming end. On one type the row of holes is centred, on the other they are offset to one side. We need the latter.

I just thought I should expand on the warning about there being different layouts of Arduino Pro Mini boards.

It has come to light that there are a number of layouts.

If you wish to use one of the project PCBs then you'll have to use the right one. So here's a couple of photos of common ones.

This is the version that fit's onto the PCBs. These appear to be distinctive by the rectangular reset button.
The important thing though is that GND, A6 and A7 are along one end. We use A6 for overall LiPo volts and A7 for one of the cells measurements.

arduinodoesfit.jpg

The next one is a board that works electrically but has no connections across one end. So obviously these cannot be linked directly down to the PCB. I guess that flying leads could be used if the other holes all align properly?

arduinonofit.jpg

Edit - I just noticed also, that the programming points appear to be in the opposite order.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/04/2019 13:59:03

It looks like I can modify the PCB design to accommodate both layouts. I've done a quick redesign but have to go and give blood soon. I think I'll have a check of the design later and order a sample of 10.

I'll still send out the original design as soon as they turn up. If anyone has a particular objection, let me know. But the later version is untested and will be another 2 or so weeks once I do order them.

Boards update.

I ordered 50. I had 3 of my previous order still in stock.

53 have now been asked for. I have addresses for all but one person and all but three have already paid. So many thanks for that, I feel bad that I don't have the goods yet. Any day now, hopefully.

I'll send them all out the day they turn up. I have the packaging and have address labels all printed ready.

Also, I've now tweaked the design to accommodate both versions of Arduino that we've spotted, and I've ordered 10 of those (and a couple of arduinos) so I can test one. There's nothing wrong with the original design, but if anyone would prefer to wait for the later board, please let me know. Those will be another 2 weeks, though.

Chris.

Kev for this project my buying seemed to boil down to a combination of bitsbox.co.uk and uk.rs-online.com/web/ with RS now having no min order and no postage costs.

See how you get on with those two. Other tips will be very welcome though.

I had the balance connectors in a box of multiple sizes from, I think, banggood. So they might be the hardest item to find.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/04/2019 10:14:32:

All boards going out are sat at the bottom of a post box, awaiting collection. laugh
2nd class letter to keep the cost down.
Keep me posted when they turn up, please.

Chris

Good timing, Chris, mine arrived this morning along with some birthday cards. thumbs up

Happy birthday to me. teeth 2

Good news, happy birthday PatMc.

One thing that probably doesn't need mentioning but I may as well just in case:-

These units can carry a very heavy current. The sensor is fine with that but we need to make a very good connection to it.

The PCB tracks are intended to help with soldering the joint, but it's important to solder the power cables that carry the current, directly to the sensor component.

If we don't get this right and the model uses a BEC then there could obviously be disaster. I'm sure everyone attempting this on one of my PCBs would spot and fully understand this anyway, but there, I've posted it just in case.