New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Colour scheme is from one of the planes in the Gnat DisplayTeam.

I printed the decals at home on A4 sheets of ink jet compatible vinyl after drawing them up in Turbocad. Clear vinyl for the letters and numbers, and white vinyl for the roundels and warning triangles.

Definitely no problems launching and it doesn't even drop after the throw. BUT I do have 680gms thrust from the 4s FMS fan, and I have a launch flight mode with both ailerons dropped 1mm and the elevator up 2mm. I have the launch mode because being a mode 2 flyer and launching with my right hand means it is on its own until I get my hand back on the stick. I switch off the launch mode as soon as I am back on the stick.

It actually gets away fine without the "launch mode", but I like to make life as easy as possible.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 18/06/2020 23:05:40

Bought as a little lockdown project and considering it's over 35 years since I last bashed any balsa I'm so pleased with how my Gnat turned out. Maiden flight was yesterday and I'm still buzzing!! Absolutely loved it and to say I'm chuffed with the final result and how it flies is an understatement! I hope you boys don't mind me sharing a few pictures...

So it begins..

img_5172.jpg

img_5179.jpg

img_5181.jpg

img_5190.jpg

img_5202.jpg

img_5245.jpg

Finally...the finished article!

img_5252.jpg

...and at the field yesterday. A maiden and two further flights and it came home in one piece. I'll take that!! teeth 2

img_5263.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack...did I mention I'm chuffed!!

Edited By ianl1201 on 24/06/2020 12:31:16

Edited By ianl1201 on 24/06/2020 12:33:55

• 2 weeks later...

I originally started posting on this thread on page eighteen. When after 13 attempts to get my Jet Provost to fly I eventually gave up and scrapped it. However I did say i believed I had done something wrong and vowed to build another one. I have built another one. Using the same esc, fan, battery and radio. Great news . this one flew fine first time. It flew from a hand launch by me on the controls. There was a 5 mph wind. It got away steadily with a firm level throw. it sank about 2 feet then after 20 feet out it started to speed up( a lot!) to climb and bank into a circuit. i flew it for 3 minutes at mostly full throttle then landed quite firmly but ok.

So what made this one a success? Here I have listed my recommendations based on experience:

Used Hobbyking silver covering film all over cleaning any excess adhesive off with surgical spirit. i really like this covering its so easy to use. First one was painted .

Used a normal lipo pack nothing super special.

Set all control surfaces to movements and expo described on plan.

Fit the fan in with the horn bit slightly proud of the bulkhead as in the plan. Last one was flush.

I built a shelf/ compartment where the elevator servo is and fitted servo horizontally on that with the RX . Sealed on its front side.

Extended the esc wires to the motor to allow the esc to be in the front next to the battery.

Some smaller amount of lead was needed in the nose.

Shaved the shaping of the fuselage as much as possible. I was scared to take too much off last time but on this one I really took it down to give a uniform and very rounded shape. Especially towards the rear. same at the front to give a dolphin like look about it. I was worried about making it week but it is still strong.

The above methods inside, were to give a clear airflow through the fuselage, like you gas flowing a car cylinder head. round off all edges and keep wires to the sides out of the airflow.

650 grams including the battery. 429 grams thrust on the scales method.

I am now building the Folland Gnat, using the methods I described. Confident it will be good.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished my TN Jet Provost last year and have just been looking through this forum. Some very interesting and informative posts along with some brilliant models.

I would like to share my build info as it varies from the original. I increased the plan to 110% but used the same size balsa and internal workings as the original. I am using the FMS 50mm 4500kv fan with a 2200mAh 4 cell lipo. Flying wt is 32ozs with 1oz lead in the nose for balance. The 10% increase in size gives a 20% increase in wing area so the wing loading is not much higher than the original. Hand launching is only successful in a good breeze so I now use a bungee. 20m of surgical tubing with 30m of fishing line, stretched about 20 paces sees a clean launch every time. My launch hook is placed at the front of the underbelly hand hold. The model is fast and smooth with plenty of power. Finish is one coat of dope, three sprayed coats of automotive primer filler and final color is Humbrol enamel sprayed. One anomaly I have found is a pitch up when rapidly reducing power when flying fast. I believe it may be a result of the underbelly cheat intake. Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?

My TN Hunter, also 110%, has flown successfully, off the bungee, but still in it's undercoat. It will be painted shortly and I will post details on the Hunter blog.20191206_212232.jpg

• 4 months later...