New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Saw one of my flying pals' scaled up JP at the field today - she looked lovely in the air and flew very well indeed. He has a surfeit of 64mm fans and no 50mm fans and so he scaled up the plant to fit, making for a larger model, with a built up wing and quite a large amount of the upper and lower fuselage sheeting removed to save weight.

David, we flew the plane yesterday in approx.20 mph plus winds, so there was an appreciable speed difference going into wind and with the wind behind the plane, at a guess it was 50% faster with the wind behind the plane, this being so there was more wind pressure on the ailerons - the aileron servos are only small because they project from the underside of the fuselage and they dont develop much power, we think on the downwind leg the excess speed was overpowering the servos, upwind and reduced speed on the downwind leg caused no problems, I installed a larger servo on the elevator and did not have any problems, as an afterthought it was way to windy for a test flight, but we all know what temptation can make us do ! I forgot to mention that I have made a removable hatch on the top of the fus.it goes from just in front of the canopy to just behind the canopy, it makes fitting and changing the battery much easier and gives access to the radio, speed controller etc. any one want photos send me your mobile no. and i will send.

Posted by Geoff Parkes on 30/10/2019 09:00:11:

David, we flew the plane yesterday in approx.20 mph plus winds, so there was an appreciable speed difference going into wind and with the wind behind the plane, at a guess it was 50% faster with the wind behind the plane, this being so there was more wind pressure on the ailerons - the aileron servos are only small because they project from the underside of the fuselage and they dont develop much power, we think on the downwind leg the excess speed was overpowering the servos, upwind and reduced speed on the downwind leg caused no problems, I installed a larger servo on the elevator and did not have any problems, as an afterthought it was way to windy for a test flight, but we all know what temptation can make us do ! I forgot to mention that I have made a removable hatch on the top of the fus.it goes from just in front of the canopy to just behind the canopy, it makes fitting and changing the battery much easier and gives access to the radio, speed controller etc. any one want photos send me your mobile no. and i will send.

Surely the faster downwind leg was ground speed, the air going over the wings is the same speed?

That's what I was getting at Cliff.

Geoff - it doesn't make any difference whether the wind is in front of or behind the aircraft. What you are seeing is the difference in groundspeed. If the aircraft is flying at 40mph through the air (airspeed) and the wind is 20mph, then to you on the ground it will appear to be flying at 20mph upwind and 60mph downwind. It's speed relative to the block of air around it is always 40mph though, so the air pressure on the ailerons is the same assuming the airspeed is kept the same.

Hi Tony

just finished the fus and it’s looking great? It’s weight at the moment is 18.5oz inc battery so should turn out about 22-24oz. I did do one thing differently. I left joining the wing halves until having built the fuz. I then added wing joiner 4 to one wing half and then slid this into the fuz and then added the glue to the other wing half and slid it into the fuz to mate up with the one already in position, so no fiddling with a completed wing. I did purchase your plan pack so was able to start it a bit earlier than the December issue of RCME arrived.

regards

Dave

This is my first one of Tony’s planes that I’ve built but I have seen many vids of others flying his designs successfully.

I’ve already photo copied the formers ready to stick on wood to start cutting out the Gnat as well.

i really love the Gnat, it looks awesome. I can’t decide which colour scene yet so I was considering building two. I’ve already got two more FMS fans from Bangood just in case. If I don’t, I might build either the hunter or his earlier designed Mig.

Steve

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 14/11/2019 12:59:12