FrSky Neuron ESC

• 3 weeks later...

I've just taken delivery of two 60A Neuron 'S' escs to be used in an E-Flite Deuces Wild. I've used the original Neurons and found them excellent other than being bulky. The Neuron S changes that in a big way! The original non-S is 59*35*17mm, the S version has shrunk to 44*22*12mm. Believe me, when you see the difference in the flesh it's quite amazing. I'll try to get some pics for comparison later. The S is about a fiver more than the earlier version but the units from T9Hobbysport include a BLHeli32 USB linker with each one, that has to be worth the fiver in itself.

Now I just need to work out a wiring harness to drive tricycle electric retracts from one esc and the XPS Sbus decoder, dual receivers and the servos from the other with one three way Ashlock connector between wing and fuselage. I'm sure I have some Veroboard knocking about somewhere!

That's some setup Bob, I've just acquired a Deuces and have set it up so that I have a separate battery for the retracts only, therefore I don't have them connected through the SBus, they bypass the SBus decoder and go direct to the RX. Redundancy RX can be provided using the R series RXs plus say the R-XSR as the slave.

What power units have you got on your Deuces? I've upgrade mine to a couple from 4-Max to give me the option of 5s should 4s not give enough of an adrenaline rush!

Closer inspection of the linker I paid £6 for shows it to have the smaller USB plug you find on the end of some normal USB leads. A spare nonetheless.
I note FrSky were good enough to include a link lead with their Freebie. Looking at the manual, I think I am correct in saying it needs the centre power lead isolating before you use it to avoid damaging the ESC, unless perhaps the SBEC jumper is not on ........

Tim

Ron, the DW is set up with a pair of Emax BL2826/06 850kv motors which have a 60A burst rating the same as the Power 32 'upgrade' recommended in the manual. With the 12*6 APC-Es fitted it should have about 600-650W a side on 4S. Damn but that wing is heavy!  On the other hand, there's no weight in the fuselagesmiley.  I'll have each u/c leg on it's own channel, each with a delay to stagger start/end current peaks.  I've got 10 channels to play with on the decoder, plus it has built in receiver redundancy handling.  I could just use an X6R or S6R for the primary and the micro XM as the backup receiver.  If I change the ID on one ESC I  should get independant telemetry from each, that's left/right motor consumption, pack volts, motor currents, BEC currents, esc temperatures - this could make setting up warnings and widgets complicated!  Makes the power wiring seem simple.

Tim, it's odd FrSky supply an update setup with all three leads, maybe they enjoy warranty claims?  I had to go and check my linker to remind myself how I'd done it before and sure enough, I had disconnected the +ve lead.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/12/2019 15:10:25

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/12/2019 14:46:40:

... If I change the ID on one ESC I should get independant telemetry from each, that's left/right motor consumption, pack volts, motor currents, BEC currents, esc temperatures - this could make setting up warnings and widgets complicated! Makes the power wiring seem simple.

Of course last night I realised that this was written in a senior moment as it can't be done with two Neurons as they don't have daisy-chain connections. They can only be used to terminate the Sport chain - bum!

edit - When Sport first appeared the documentation stated that sensors should be daisychained, but delving into the web there are indications that the daisychain connections on sensors are just connected together, effectively putting sensors in parallel.  I'd never really thought about it before, perhaps there is hope after all?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/12/2019 13:00:30

To add to my Horus update woes (now cured - I think) my Neuron was dead when I tried it yesterday. No BEC voltage so the receiver didn't work. I tried powering my recever separately (after disconnecting the middle pin on the connector) but still no joy and it was getting slightly warm. Contacted T9 and I posted it back this morning, hopefully for a replacement under guarantee.

Geoff

The Neuron that I cooked is on it's way back from T9 but Richard didn't know whether FrSky repaired or replaced it, either way it's a Chinese warranty that is respected.

Thanks for confirming that Chris.

Geoff, this will be where Companion pays dividends as I can copy an existing model using a Neuron (Ultra Stick for example) and cut/paste all the logical switches and special functions to duplicate them, editing the references to point to the second motor's esc. Much easier than doing it on the transmitter!

Frustrating for you Geoff, just when you think you are back on track.

I put the connectors on the 40s this morning. I have not experimented withe Bel Heli interface yet as I need to read up a bit first. However when connected up everything worked. The luac script on the Tx seems to work and reports back with all the fields filled in although I have not tried altering the SBEC voltage yet. All of the Esc parameters reported back as expected and the EscR lets you set the number of motor poles ( it defaults to 1!). Currently I do not know how many poles the FMS fan is but 7 looked reasonable as a guess.

What did not show up were the two BEC parameters ie voltage and current. Got Rx voltage as normal but not the actual BecV or BecA as advertised. Since I had to take no action to get the Esc parameters I am wandering if the BEC parameters have not yet been enabled for the Horus OS.

Might have a look at the Freelink output and see if they are on the dashboard.

Be interesting to see if you Open TX folks get the full suite.

Tim