FrSky Neuron ESC

That's a 4% error between the BEC setting and the receiver reporting, I'd call that close enough. I read the 'curious note' as being that the jumper switches the BEC on or off to save pulling wires from the plug if it's not needed and 'reduces power' clause covering the reporting inaccuracy that your bound to get along with the connector's and jumper's voltage drop from their minute resistance.

It seems FrSky have just replaced my cooked unit with a new one, that was nice of them. It had been sitting at T9 because Richard lost track of who it came from and I'm obviously far to patient and reticent to keep nagging about it.angel

Bob,

Can’t complain about the support can you. Good to hear .

I loaded the latest FrOS just in case it fixed the no show of the BEC voltage and current values but as I expected it made no difference.

Seems like I should report the issue back to FrSky . Any advice on the best route? Ie through T9 , or direct email to FrSky .

Tim

Both? I suspect that the companyprogrammers are up to their necks in it trying to fix the little issues showing up in the new Access protocol and FrOS updates have been put on the backburner. It's worth keeping an eye on the RCGroups Radio section, there are several threads related to the Horus models and FrOS.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/12/2019 12:34:00:

That's a 4% error between the BEC setting and the receiver reporting, I'd call that close enough. I read the 'curious note' as being that the jumper switches the BEC on or off to save pulling wires from the plug if it's not needed and 'reduces power' clause covering the reporting inaccuracy that your bound to get along with the connector's and jumper's voltage drop from their minute resistance.

It seems FrSky have just replaced my cooked unit with a new one, that was nice of them. It had been sitting at T9 because Richard lost track of who it came from and I'm obviously far to patient and reticent to keep nagging about it.angel

Blimey, that's good to hear. I hope I get mine back repaired (or a replacement). It's the reason I buy expensive stuff from T9 but this is the first time I've had to test it.

When I phoned them a couple of days ago I was asked if I'd connected the battery with the right polarity. It doesn't actually say + or - on the case but I assume the red electric goes to the red wire and vice versa

Geoff

I remember the days of Rob Carpenter and Giant Cod, he told me that he got dozens of ESCs returned that were very obviously connected in reverse, crash damaged, shorted and generally abused.

I'm sure Richard will do the right thing, I have had to return a couple of dead on arrival receivers to him over the years and they were both replaced without question.

Wow, just been reading all the old posts on RC groups site detailing the pain and smoke involved with the first generation neurons, some of which it seems was shared by some of you on this thread. Hopefully the latest generation is cured of those ills.

my next issue is that judging by the rapid deceleration of my Edf, motor braking is on by default on this ESC and I will have to try the belheli32 programming interface to turn it off.

Is that the experience of you guys ?

Tim

I have a feeling it's the field 'Non Damped Mode' that is the problem. I had the same issue with myUltraStick, closing the throttle stopped the prop so quickly I was worried the motor might go flying off. I cured that by using 1 second servo slow on the throttle, I aught to revisit that now I have access to BLHeli32.

I think the damped mode is to increase throttle response, especially deceleration, for quads by applying motor braking for all throttle position changes rather than just at a closed throttle. For other uses I think we need to switch 'non damped' to on, though what %ge on the slider is best is anyones guess. I'd love to see how a helicopter would react to instant motor speed changes - from a safe distance!

Well that had my heart racing.

i used the usb linker that came with the neuron. Connected it up without the center power lead to the Pwm port. Earth to earth and signal to signal . Could not get heli32 to connect. Sat there demanding a power cycle even though lipo was connected. Only com port that even gave me that message was com 6 which was usb over Bluetooth. Did not sound likely but no other option appeared. ESC got a bit warm but no smoke !

Then I tried the usb connector I bought from T9 which I thought was redundant. Now I got a com port labelled com FVT. Worked as advertised. Read it with undamped noted as off . Reset to undamped on.(it is either on or off, no percentages). Write data seemed fine. Disconnected and reread. Undamped still set to on.

All disconnected and ready to try with motor again.

no idea why the supplied connector did not work.

onward.

Tim

The supplied linker didn't work for me either. Interestingly it told me there was an update, v32706, but this won't work with either the FrSky linker or my HK one. The older V32612 works but only with the HK linker.

Anyway - I set Non-Damped to on and brake to 50%, I'll see how that goes. While I was at it I dug out my SCC channel changer and reset the ID on one ESC to 16 from the supplied 17 so that I can extract telemetry from both ESCs. Odd that the SCC reads 17 but will only configure IDs up to 16. IIRC valid IDs go up into the twenties, but I suppose the SCC was designed for servos where you could only have 16 channels. the tables I can find show ID 16 as being vacant so it should be ok.

I assume it just needs adding to this section?

local sensorIdTx = 17 -- sensorid 18
local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 12, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S', 'FLVSS', 'RPM', 'Fuel', 'Accel', 'GPS', 'Air speed', 'R Bus', 'Gas suit', 'X8R2ANA', '-'}, dataId = { 0x100, 0x200, 0x300, 0x500, 0x600, 0x700, 0x800, 0xA00, 0xB00, 0xD00, 0xF103 }, elements = 11 },
sensorId = {selected = 29, elements = 28}}

Thanks Mike but I don't think that's an option on OpenTX 2.3.x for the Horus, more's the pity.

Chris, I don't see why the Neurons would be different to any other Sport or SBUS device when it comes to ID changes, certainly the SCC didn't seem to care.

I've got to pop out to Argos to get the mocrowave changed, when I get back I'll hook up the two ESCs to a receiver to see whether the telemetry IDs both appear. I'll download the LUA from Chris's link and try that too. I take it the LUA just runs from the SDCard tab, no need to compile it or anything?

No it doesn't, needs another update.

You could try editing it in this area, where I've added data for the Neuron, it might work:

local sensorIdTx = 0x17 -- sensorid 18
local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 12, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S', 'FLVSS', 'RPM', 'Fuel', 'Accel', 'GPS', 'Air speed', 'R Bus', 'Gas suit', 'X8R2ANA', 'Neuron', '-'}, dataId = { 0x100, 0x200, 0x300, 0x500, 0x600, 0x700, 0x800, 0xA00, 0xB00, 0xD00, 0xF103, 0xB50 }, elements = 12 },
sensorId = {selected = 29, elements = 28}}
local selection = {selected = 1, state = false, list = {'sensorType', 'sensorId'}, elements = 2}

Note the change to the value of "sensorIdTx " as well, I think this may have been translated from my original Basic script incorrectly.

Mike

Mike, that works fine - many thanks.

Notes:

1) It doesn't appear to work via an SxR receiver. (So I've just soldered up a brand new Neuron and used a new X8R to test).

2) It comes up with Neuron as the selected telemetry unit so you need to move away from that and back to it for it to do a "read ID" before you can change it.

So Bob, I have it in the "SCRIPTS/TOOLS folder and execute the script from there.

Here's the result. The red lines are from deafult ID of 17 and are now not working. The black are from ID16 and have just been discovered.

img_20191222_134613.jpg

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 22/12/2019 14:17:31