FrSky Neuron ESC

Try changing the initial value of "selected here (first part of line only shown):

local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 13, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S'

The is an update to the SxR firmware that does let it configure external sensors. Because it has internal values you may change using SPort commands earlier firmware versions didn't allow any commands out on the SPort, they were all intercepted by the SxR.

I wonder if the Neuron is responding to TWO different physical IDs? As an ESC it uses an appID of 0xB50 (I suggested in the above change) while as a SBEC device it uses an appID of 0xE50.

You could try changing the B50 to E50 in the change I suggested and see if you get a different physical ID, maybe the same one as the FrSky LUA.

Mike

No reason at all Tim, that's what it's there for - to set to what you want it to be.

I have a model that has two supplies. each via a shottky diode. One supply is this UBEC, the other is a LiFe pack.

I set the UBEC to a voltage slightly higher than the voltage of the LiFe pack. This makes the UBEC my "main" or "preferred" supply and the battery is then the backup supply.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 22/12/2019 19:50:43

Mike this is now the section I have in the script.

local sensorIdTx = 0x17 -- sensorid 18
local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 13, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S', 'FLVSS', 'RPM', 'Fuel', 'Accel', 'GPS', 'Air speed', 'R Bus', 'Gas suit', 'X8R2ANA', 'Neuron', '-'}, dataId = { 0x100, 0x200, 0x300, 0x500, 0x600, 0x700, 0x800, 0xA00, 0xB00, 0xD00, 0xF103, 0xE50 }, elements = 12 },
sensorId = {selected = 29, elements = 28}}
local selection = {selected = 1, state = false, list = {'sensorType', 'sensorId'}, elements = 2}

selected = 13 is indeed now making the default selection "-".

The change of dataID for the Neuron has made no difference. This is still reading Neuron as 16 where the FrSky SBEC script reads it as 17. I don't think it's a big issue. Unfortunately I don't have another way to read it.

True Tim, I just need to print out a list of which line refers to which ESC, when setting up switches and functions it's all for example Telem1.escV, Telem2.escA...Telem16.becV where I assume Telemn refers to the line number rather than using the sensorID eg Sensor16.escC, Sensor17.escC. I may just go through the list editing the names to make it more obvious.

Yes Chris, that's what I meant by editing the names. At least I remembered to mark the esc that I set to ID 16 before putting it down next to the other one laugh. I've also tested them using a 'servo splitter/breakout' to split off power from one esc to drive the three retracts while the second esc plugs straight into the throttle to power the receiver and servos. It's quite a neat solution, I'll get a decent photo of the setup later.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to a power run with the twin Neurons, I thought I'd set them up the same with BLHeli32 but the right motor was showing a definite lag compared to the left one.

twin neurons.jpg

Of course I tried connecting up BLHeli32 to check the settings but I got an error for the device. Interesting findings were that I'd set my RTC to 2019 blush, 5 Spektrum DS821s took a total of 2.8A and the three sequenced electric retracts peaked at an initial 1.8A for the noseleg and with the two mainwheels showing 0.9 and 1.1A peaks as each operated.

I will have to dig out the USB adaptors that came with the ESCs and try those again.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 12/03/2020 13:30:07

Solved - I tried again and got BlHeli32 connected with a new lead. I found the left ESC upper throttle range was set to 1543, I've now set it to match the right ESC and as I had a spare channel on my receiver I put it on that with a link to the existing throttle channel. I'll check it under power tomorrow and if there is still any midrange mismatch I can adjust it with a curve.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/03/2020 20:27:03:

Solved - I tried again and got BlHeli32 connected with a new lead. I found the left ESC upper throttle range was set to 1543, I've now set it to match the right ESC and as I had a spare channel on my receiver I put it on that with a link to the existing throttle channel. I'll check it under power tomorrow and if there is still any midrange mismatch I can adjust it with a curve.

Wow! Imagine trying to do that 10 years ago!

Imagine setting up a model with 11 channels, redundant receivers and 1200W of electrickery 10 years ago! Not bad for 'cheap' Chinese gear eh? The datalogging and computer setup available using these Neuron ESCs really does make problem solving easy compared to working relatively blind as with older systems.

Good news that you found something, Bob.

I assume you can watch both RPMs throughout the throttle range to check?

I'm sure you could set up some RPM monitoring to monitor the difference and either let you know, or even do something like cut both throttles, if the difference got too big.

Oh and I'm certain you already have, but do make sure failsafe is set correctly for both throttles channels.

Chris

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/03/2020 20:42:45

Chris, yes you can watch both rpm and power throughout the range. I'm sure it would be possible to set up a logical switch to detect an rpm difference greater than a set value, maybe if the field stays in it's current wetland status for long or HMGov come round and nail my door shut as Peter Miller fears, then I'll look at that option through sheer boredom! Meanwhile I'll rely on monitoring battery voltages to pick up issues.

Good point on failsafe, I use the 'custom' option to set channels to current stick position. I'll update that this afternoon in the absence of any F1 on tv.

Gary, try here for BlHeli-32. Does the Neuron work to control a motor? If so you have selected the right connector bank so that's a good start! The Sport connector is plugged in alongside the rx plug with the same polarity. You don't need the red +ve wire on the Sport lead. Have you gone to the telemetry page in OpenTX and selected 'Discover sensors'? Ideally you want to be on OpenTX 2.3.5 for the full array available but version 2.2 should get basic telemetry - V, A RPM.

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a FrSky Neuron 80 for an old Schluter DS-22 helicopter I'm converting to electric. I've got the BL32Heli software running via an FTDI adapter and a "bodge" lead, as described by Mike at the top of this thread.

So far so good!

One of the reasons for using the Neuron is the excellent amount of telemetry available. Using a wattmeter on a large helicopter under load is not really feasible (!), so being able to display numbers via telemetry - from a safe distance - is a godsend for fine tuning!

However, I'm having trouble making sense of the RPM readings from the esc. These seem to be many times what the motor is doing, and I assume need to be divided by the number of poles in the motor - or somesuch. Google hasn't helped, so has anyone here found a solution? I'm guessing it ought to be something simple. Possibly something I've missed in the instructions (such as they are!)?

Cheers,

--

Pete