What a sick world we live in

Paul Marsh

sadly its the world we live in. the other day some little non forum approved adjective decided to set fire to the garden of my brothers girlfriend. no real reason to it, lets just set the shed on fire and see how we get on.

People have no respect unfortunately

Posted by David Davis on 20/05/2019 07:20:09:
Posted by Percy Verance on 20/05/2019 06:39:14:

.............. There's much to be said for reintroducing National Service...

The army doesn't want people like that!

Target practice !!!!! 😈😈😈

The culprits are often badly parented individuals and will by no kno how to milk the system robably claim to be deprived etc and then be sent off on an activity course as a "punishment/ re-rehabilitation" costing us thousands. After .having a great time they then commit another act or vandalism and get "more punishment / rehabilitation "

The youngsters who have been well brought up and taught to respect others and their property and who keep out of trouble often cant afford these treats . Where has it all gone wrong ?

There was a lot to learnt from a short sharp dose of the birch but society is too soft and every one claims to be a victim while the real victims are left to get on with it !

Rant over yes for crowd funding .

As an ex serviceman I concur about the army today. There was a campaign being run a few months ago to try to get the forces banned from shouting at recruits during training as it was to traumatic!.

I have a friend whose sun has joined the army and he tells me they are all issued with a red card that they can raise to instructors if they feel they are being shouted at to much!

I have been out of the forces for 25 years now but even in my time I was dismayed about the attitudes to authority and lack of personal discipline of some of the young people who were joining.

Blimey I sound like my dad!  I guess every generation thinks the same about the younger generation and to balance the argument it is always a few bad apples who taint everyone but I do think there is a general lack of respect for others about today.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 20/05/2019 10:45:20

I'm afraid this isn't anything new nor a sign that society is getting worse, I'm nearly 80 and this sort of thing has been happening all my life and the same hand wringing goes on. Fortunately, it was and remains very rare but it happens.

It's tragic for the the railway modellers and something money alone cannot rectify. In the report I read one modeller had been building his layout for 25 years and as someone pointed out, he simply hasn't got the time (ie life expectancy) to rebuild. However, as we who probably suffer disasters similar to this at our own hands know well, once wreakage is closely examined damage is often not quite as bad as it appears and repairs can be effected. Lets hope that is the case here.

On a positive note, 4 youths have been arrested on suspicion (well founded I guess) of criminal damage. Plus money has been donated to help offset the damage - one model loco is said to be worth £8,500.

Geoff

I've always been keen on a rather interesting idea. I can't find enough hours to sort out all my wee projects, so I like the idea of having an apprentice. A sort of helper who can do bits in my workshop, help out at the patch etc., and in return, hopefully learn some useful skills and have some fun

So I started helping a listless youth who lived nearby. He came flying, started to learn, and did some bits in my workshop. Great stuff

But, one day he broke into my shed, stole a Fokker, some tools and a couple of engines. He must have had some respect, because he left my laser 150 sitting in solitary glory on my bench

ernie

AT my flying club we had a new hut fitted a couple of years ago. Within two weeks all the sockets were removed from the walls . Must have been a member or ex member because the windows and doors all had bars on and the theft was discovered after a club member unlocked the door and went in!

we also had a member who brought his brother as a guest one day. While the guest was packing models away into his car a committee member noticed he had left a pile of old sandwich wrappers and coke bottles on one of the benches, so he asked him politely if he would please take his rubbish home as there were no bins or anybody to tidy up after him. He did not say a word but snatched the stuff off the bench and got in his car and drove off. He got to the edge of the flying patch, stopped his car, open the door and threw the rubbish out onto the patch before driving off!

It's banning caning in schools and now even smacking which has caused this general lack of respect for others. A little pain and lots of disgrace would help a lot to bring back 1950's standards at no cost.......

There is no way I would want a return to the 1950s (my teenage years) and if you really believe that teaching children that hitting someone weaker than yourself teaches respect then I would strongly disagree. As a child the biggest punishment I suffered was being forbidden to read in bed - the 2 serious beatings my father gave me (both unjustified, as we discussed when he was about the age I am now) had no effect in the long term.

I hate violence of any kind and applying it to children is unforgivable.

Geoff

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 20/05/2019 14:57:41:

Please lets not turn this thread into a debate about capital punishment, we all have our own views and lets keep it like that.

Cliff.

I'm thinking that you mean corporal punishment? Capital punishment is... lets say a different and barbaric thing altogether.

My model club has a boating section, and their shed was recently torched after having been vandalised on several occasions. Feral youth with no respect for other peoples property or rights. I'm probably one of the more liberal bleeding hearts on this forum, but I really think that bring back the stocks would be a good thing because:

a) It humiliates the offender in front of their peers.

b) It's cheap and doesn't involve sending them to an expensive (to the taxpayer) prison for a post graduate course in re-offending.

Model railway people are probably not as experienced at repairing damage as we aeromodellers are........ perhaps we should offer advice based on our experiences? First of all it's never quite as bad as it seems and most things are repairable so don't scrap anything at first. Second gather all the bits up even the tiniest. Third just start with the cyano and amaze yourself at the invisible repairs you can make. Easy to say these things but most of us have proved that this system works!