Almost a disaster

buster prop

A few months ago I treated myself to an Easy Glider 4, the RR version. I’m very pleased with it, nice to fly, good glide and the usual Multiplex quality. I liked the idea that the complete tail removes with one nylon bolt so that the model can be transported in its box. The bolt goes in under the tail and clamps the fin/rudder onto the tail-plane with the pushrods secured last. One day at the field and because of my haste to get the EG4 assembled and flying, this last bit nearly caused a crash. I put the tail on as described and connected the push-rods to the rudder and elevator. I centred the surfaces and tightened the grub screws but hadn’t plugged in the battery, thinking that the servos were centred. They weren’t. Out on the flight line I plugged in, waited for the ESC beeps, picked up the model and waggled the sticks, but because I was holding the model up I only looked at the ailerons which were ok and moved in the right sense. I launched and immediately knew something was badly wrong, the EG4 was circling right and power stalling. I got some height then cut the motor and fed in lots of left and down trim. Even so, it was way out of trim and I had to hold in a lot of down elevator to stop the EG4 stalling and then steer it back towards the strip. I still hadn’t twigged what the problem was, being so busy trying to get the EG4 back on the ground in one piece. I did land it, a fair walk away but it was ok. As I got near the plane I could see the rudder was off centre and then realised what was wrong. I centred the trims again and could see the elevator had a lot of ‘up’ and the rudder was over to the right. I was lucky to get away with that, I would have been furious with myself if I’d smashed an almost new model, which had been flying perfectly well, because of a stupid mistake. Now I have put a note inside the box lid telling me to set the rudder and elevator with the trims centred and the receiver on. I always mix in a throttle safety switch on the Tx so that I can make adjustments without the motor starting. My Easy Glider lives to fly again.