New EDF Mini Jets- Hawk & Lightning

Well these two brings the tally up to eight EDF mini jets so far, so I think its time to leave them and find another project.....

Many of you had asked for both the Lightning and Hawk to be mini-sized EDF and as of yesterday, only the hawk was playing ball.

The Lightning unfortunately was being an absolute pig both in perfomance and ability to get a clean launch. Last weekend and Hastings MFC it took 4 attempts to get the Lighting into the air; the previous 3 ended up resulted in matchwood- rebuild-matchwood-rebuild-matchwood.....finally got it away but performance was disappointing. I made some mods to the cofg on Tuesday evening...still no good and yet more damage....i was planning on bining the design but decided today to go back to first principals......by making a 40% chucky glider. Strangely the chucky glider was rubbish also!!!!......turned out the wing incidence was not enough and the tailplane needed adjustment. The cofg was also re-established....needed to be further forward.

Doing this and the chucky flew great.

So replicating this to the Lightning and installing a 4S Fan unit (not the 3S as used in all the others design) the model was tested this afternoon.

Needles to say what a transformation....the launch was uncompromised and the 4S power was just right....no nasty tendencies, just went where you pointed her.....so the Pheonix has risen from the 'bin' so to speak

img_7222.jpg

img_7218.jpg

Tony, I think you’ll cause a complete UK shortage of FMS 50mm fans with these little crackers. smileyI keep checking your site for the kit packs. Gnat will definitely get built, since I have a work connection, as will the JP and now the frightning. Great work and good to see some proper wood edf jets.

Reno....you may be right about the FMS unit...lol.....they'll just have to step in production in China wont they

The Lightning I have now tried on a 3S fan with 3S lipo and made some internal modifications to allow better air distribution and happy to report the model works well....I still will only be recommending the 4S version though as she needs that extra punch

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well it took 6 months to rebuild (not because i'm slowcheeky) but retested the EE Lightning yesterday having removed the complicated Aileron control and reverting to tailerons......a much easier servo installation and simple to set up......the results were it still had great althourity but the full roll was much slower.....mind you that's no bad thing as the aileron version was a little too rapid on the roll.....

light.jpg

lightning.jpg