Lidl £8 foamie glider - Great for RC conversion - my full video here

Finally put together my full build blog, which shows the conversion from zero to power from beginning to end! Step by step. Last minute change, having fitted a bigger motor I'll have to move the lipo midway in the fusi between the main spar to get a CoG. It's either that or add 30 grms to the tail, and I hate adding weight to a model! And I extended the ailerons a little. The changes will be in part 2 along with the maiden!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi y'all,

Only just seen the replies! Trust me I was extremely careful and slow when using a blade to cut the bevels. ( Parts of the video are speeded up.) I was cutting away from my hand too? You can't use a Stanley knife, the body would get in way. I only half cut thru with the open blade in an effort to try to get the right angle, say 45 degs? Then use a scalpel to finish the cut.

My other stanley blade has got tape!  But I used a brand new blade on that to try and get a clean cut!

Sorry if you didn't like the music, would you rather have my heavy breathing indecision Or my monotonous boring voice as I hear on some build blogs that show the whole long process. I was trying to keep the video short and it has gone down very well on another group?sad

I had a second test flight the other day this time with the bigger motor and the model flew beautifully until I had some serious glitching from the rx and control was lost. Crash but no damage. I tried again and even looped, but signal break up again and crash, either bad rx and crystal, e bay s/h, still on 35 mhz, or bad ESC (cheap e bay?) giving to much interference. I have changed all three things and will try again soon when the weather improves.

Note repositioned battery to just over the main spar to aid CoG after fitting bigger, heavier motor. And a little strip of lead on the rear of the fusi to help trip CoG, which was about right.

Watch this space.

img_20190717_124322654.jpg

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 19/07/2019 20:14:49

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 19/07/2019 20:15:36

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 19/07/2019 20:17:36

Edited By Bonzo Moon on 19/07/2019 20:19:33

• 1 month later...

The intention was a power conversion, not a powered soarer. Incidentally I just bought a new 1300 3s after having fade from the ones I was using (very old and knackered like me) and connecting that at home the power was phenominal with that motor. Half throttle will suffice!

I just started on another power conversion and I'm trying to make it as light as possible (less carbon) so that it will be slow fly. Watch this space!