More regulation

GONZO

Listen and enjoyangry From 16:00 on mention of additional test and flying area/spacing plus CE marking of kits/ARTF and ready to fly. I know some of this is not set but indicates the direction of travel, it's not good. Note it's not just 1/11/2019 as a significant date but 1/7/2020. I'd listen to it a couple of times to get these indications of what may be coming straight in your mind.

UK Drone Law Update

You'll need to listen a lot more than a couple of times to make much sense out of that. I couldn't listen to the end, my ears were threatening to leave home if I didn't stop. I got past the bit where they waffled on about the An classes of area, where they thought A3 meant the middle of nowhere but to me 150m from public areas sounds like every club I've ever flown at, and the less strict A2 covers club sites and fly-ins such as Greenacres. I quit there as they started on about CE marks on kits.

Didn't we go into this on the other thread? I thought the manufacturer requirements for manually directed drones (i.e. us, kits and RTF and all) were basically, add leaflet, include sensible use instructions, retain plans and technical data for 10 years.

Most manufacturers are already at or above that bar I'd have thought.

It's only with guidance computers that it started getting more onerous.

I don't understand why people are so dismissive and or can't even be bothered to listen. It's not meant to be entertaining or nice to listen to. It's supposed to be informative although the speaker could be better and the essential information conveyed quicker. Go to 16:00 min and listen from there. Not everything is set but as I said it gives an idea of how the rule makers are thinking. Or, has every one got sick and tired of it just like the 'Brexit saga'?

On another forum a member is carrying out a 'straw poll' by asking other flyers he meets " What are you intending to do about the new regulation?" The overwhelming response is "What new regulations?" As a group aero modellers seem to exhibit an unusually high level apathy and optimism.

Well, I've posted it, up to others to decide to listen or not.

Edited By GONZO on 08/07/2019 14:14:55

A bit easier than ploughing through a document even with the narrators poor presentation skills.

Just come off the phone to the BMAA(British Microlight Aircraft Association). I was checking up on the regs surrounding sub 70kg foot launched aircraft. They confirmed that I was correct in my understanding; NO pilot licence required, No medical or declaration required, NO registration of the foot launched aircraft, No competency test of any kind. You can just buy an fly with land owner permission. Or, where I am the beach as I see frequently. Cost £3,500 to £5,000 and advisable to take a short training coarse.

There were several items from this video that I was not aware of(new items?). Below 250gm geofenced range and RF power limit and the selectable 40mph speed limit, is this ground speed or airspeed? Then there is the second test from July next year which will be required to fly most aircraft from most locations. The 150mtr separation limit between plane and people/locations etc would not be from the centre of the runway but from the furthest extent of any flight path. I've checked on Google maps and my local club does not comply unless only flying out of the SE corner and that's if we can guarantee the farmer is not there. Most planes range out at least 150mtr(500ft) then add the required 150mtr to that plus a safety margin, say a total of 400mtr(1300ft +) from the center point of the runway. I would think most clubs fall foul of this with at least a footpath or access road not under their total control coming within this distance. Consider the problems of this when applied to slope soaring sites like the Great Orme. So, the competency test this autumn is a foundation test with a certificate of competency in addition, from July next year, to be taken at test centres and not online.

Yes, but the info in the video is supposed to be where we are now which I presume has moved on from the primary documents as they just formed a starting point. The young guy in the video states he has been involved in the beta testing of the scheme so it would not be unreasonable to assume he has some understanding of what's happening. Are you similarly involved in the scheme Steve J?

Primary documents remain primary documents. Written down. The gobby, noisy, inhabitants of the Internet remain gobby and noisy.

Not necessarily wrong, but journalistic licence creeps in.

Have a sample of the, exaggerated claims shall we say, of the two candidates for Prime Minister. Not written down in a manifesto. Words worth nothing.

The CAA has published CAP 1789 which outline the UK governments proposals for UAS under the EU guidelines.

It makes interesting reading not least of which is the use of a kinetic energy limit for the lighter classes of UAS which sounds like an electronic speed limiter will be required.

Even the sub 250 g 'toy' class is to be limited to a maximum of 400 ft from the transmitter.

Conventional sub 25 kg model planes would fall into the C4 class which requires an A3 location - "far from people".

And all by July 2020.

"Gobby noisy disrupters on the internet, claiming whatever they like, remain gobby and noisy."

This is a totally unfounded, unwarranted, rude and insulting attack on the young guy who is a 'Beta' tester for the scheme and the other presenter who has made many well received/reviewed videos. No sane and sober individual would class the presentation in this video as 'goby, noisy disrupters claiming whatever they liked'. Another contributor to another forum, who is also a 'beta' tester has reported some of the same issues. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that any of the information is incorrect or even slightly stretched in any way? If this is the only contribution you can add to this thread then perhaps you could refrain from personal attacks and keep your subjective opinions to yourself. Otherwise you risk being defined by your own comment. It's much better to keep things civil, don't you think? Anyhow, as you live in France and have a cheaper/easier scheme this should be of no more than academic interest to you. You presume to much when you refer to me as your 'mate'.

Simon, I checked out the Delyn MFC flying site by using Google maps. I placed a series of 150mtr circles centered on the nearest point to the runway center point. Thus, I got a rough boundary for the extent of flying. It was somewhat illuminating to see just how restrictive this can be. I would recommend that those interested do the same.

Gonzo, you a few weeks ago, suggested that I view and be educated by a guru on climate denial. Said Guru, suggests that carbon dioxide separates fron the atmosphere and settles as snow in the Antarctic. Clearly a contravention of the laws of partial pressure, should have listened to his physics teacher at school. So you are not a trusted source of information.

The mate comment was clearly inappropriate, and I apologise. I was working under the false impression that follow travellers in toy aircraft flying have some common ground.

Mr Fry, Tony Heller has never claimed that. It's more your problem, I suspect, of not understanding the information. A fellow traveller in toy aeroplanes, quite likely. Mates, unlikely. Anyhow, I have more important things to do with my time right now, like letting my dogs out for a wee, than to indulge you in inane and pointless arguments, fun though they are.