Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.

Nu Me 1

On 10/07/2019 at 23:52, Steve Hargreaves - Moderator said:

Radio choice is a very difficult one....there are so many choices. Ask 10 modellers & you'll probably get 11 answers. I'm a Futaba man...have been since the 70s but even I have to admit they are a little bit behind the curve these days. For starting out I think a cheap 6 channel set will be fine.....then as you get more into the hobby look to upgrade to a more capable system. If more vintage flying is your thing then it could be that a cheap 6 channel set will be all you need. Like mobile phones transmitters often have much more functionality that most flyers need....

Your on board radio will need a power supply....for IC models this is often a small 4 AA cell rechargeable battery pack & will come with the radio set usually. The "controller" you read about was probably an ESC or Electronic Speed Controller...these provide the "throttling" of an electric motor & have a built in circuit that bleeds a little power off the large motor battery to feed the radio. This circuit is termed a BEC or battery elimination circuit.

Enjoy your new hobby....

I'm a Futaba man also Steve,  have been since 1986.  My radio equipment has never let me down and I'm a creature if habit as I've been using the same Futaba 7 channel 2.4 receivers now for years.  

On 11/07/2019 at 14:59, David Davis said:

As regards radios, I would choose the same make as used by your instructor. Once you are able to fly you will be able to choose something else if you want to.

Futaba are the industry standard, you won't go wrong with a Futaba radio.

Spektrum are the new kids on the block and are very popular.

Multiplex and Graupner are German makes and enjoy an enviable reputation and there are a number of newer producers like Taranis which are becoming more and more popular.

Hitec servos are well-regarded. I nearly always use Hitec servos.

PS. I recommend Aliphatic glues for building.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33436/bike%20at%20the%20serbian%20border.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33436/559270.jpg

I wish I'd never sold the yellow one. The red one is getting a bit too heavy for my seventy-one year-old knees.

Edited By David Davis on 11/07/2019 14:01:35

I'm the same as you David when it comes to servos,  Hitec all the way.  I've never had one fail.