Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.

Nu Me 1

Posted by Doc Marten on 12/07/2019 08:52:02:

mode 2 is popular because it has the primary controls on the same stick, just like a real aircraft so feels more natural to combine the turn inputs on the same stick, throttle on the left also seems more natural, again like that Spitfire we all hanker for. 😁

Edited By Doc Marten on 12/07/2019 08:53:08

Oh come on Doc, more natural? wink

I submit that in model flying, having one's feet rooted to the ground and viewing the aircraft externally from a multitude of angles and heights negates the old 'more like a real one theory'.

In terms of precison, one could argue that quartering and mixing the sticks in the corners on mode 2 can never be as accurate as (rudder excepting) keeping to the natural axes of the stick gimbals in mode 1. Clearly holds true for full size, but then one's whole body and senses - up ,down, left, right and revolve, G-forces, remain aligned with those movements of the aeroplane. Something that the Wright Brothers got wrong and what their nemesis Glenn Curtiss got right.

It's what you get used to, oddly enough I can fly Mode1 single stick i.e . rudder and elevator quite happily on a suitable model, but get into a right pickle with mode 2.

Always fun to kick around the old 1&2 debate laugh

Anyone here fly 3 or 4?

Doc M - I have a freestanding Clarke 1200 x 650 bench. I can move it if required. It has a lip so, when the kit arrives, I can decide whether to drop a piece of plasterboard inside the 3 lipped top or get a piece to place on top. It will depend on the length of the plans. I will leave the mode question until later but thanks.

Peter - the "Deluxe" kit I have ordered comes with some scalpels and blades, that said, I have ordered a couple of handles and some blades - on your recommendation.

I thought my multi tool was a Dremel but it isn't. This is on the list to buy.

Power scroll saw isn't on the plans but I was watching Axminister Craft videos a couple of weeks ago. In a previous life I worked as a wood machinist so know my way around industrial saws, routers, belt sanders etc.

Soldering irons - these are on the list to buy. Thanks for the extra detail as I understand that the kit has a very small element of soldering.

Thanks for the advice on building boards.

Nigel - Epoxy I have and just ordered a little more.

Steel rule. x3 different sizes ordered, 2 sizes of set squares and a metal protractor embarrassed

Scalpel / X-acto both on order.

I have lots of different sand paper and blocks. I have ordered a Permagrit one as well based on Peter's recommendation (I had to swallow hard when I saw the price).

Razor plane - not for now but interesting.

Coverings - Thanks for the info but that will be a new conversation.

Fuel proofer - In the online instructions do comment on this too.

Beer fridge - I gave up drinking about 10 years ago. It just started sending me to sleep after a serious illness. A wine in a stew or brandy in Christmas pud is OK though (I wonder how many people have just switched off?).

David - That looks great and pick up the set squares now on order. Will wait for the plans to see how big the board needs to be.

Peter - Blades, scalpels and acetone on order - although I do remember that it doesn't seem to be as good nowadays.

Mode 1 2 and Sunbeam comments add to the flavour.

Thanks for all so far, I think I can see the light at the end of the first order stage now.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/07/2019 10:39:09:
Posted by Peter Miller on 11/07/2019 13:58:47:

T he nicest bike I ever owned

My last bike very much customised.

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/07/2019 13:59:40

Peter, You should have been thrown out of the Sunbeam Owners Club for doing that to an S8 wink

I know. But when I bought it they were being sold for £15 and £25. Almost given away.

Doc - Thanks for the link. Lots to read and the lists are very good (I am getting there).

Next 2 questions to you all if you don't mind:

1) What on earth is a Number 67 rubber band?

2) The link posted by Don suggests that the servos are installed as you go. This means I should have them available at the beginning of the build.The suggestion is "Futaba S3003 Servo with accessories P-S3003" which menber(s) of the forum seem to think are OK for the kit. Anyone disagree please? Also I guess that the make doesn't matter if I choose a different brand receiver and TX?

Thanks in advance again.

Hi Percy, Thanks.

I think I have found out that 67 bands are 1/4 x 5 imperial or 6.5 x 127 metric. I will keep looking.

Thanks for the info on the servos and the alternative. 4for the LT-40 according to the online plans.

I have heard similar stories about bikes. Even stuff I had back in the 1970's is silly money nowadays. Soon all classics may be worthless as there will be no petrol to run them - according to the speed we are going green. I remember buying a car for £25. A hillman Avenger with a damaged wing. They were bolt on so down the scrappies I went.

Thanks again!!

Thanks Denis - I have ordered some pack and a couple of props.10 x6's

Percy - Ordered x4 Futaba S148's, slightly heavier and a few pennies more but a much better feedback rep.

Vehicles with no noise or smell, not sure I can cope with that!! I have used a lot of fuel stabiliser in my time - but not for the mower. I still love the 400/4, but never owned one. a beautiful bike. The torque on an electric bike must be a bit of a buzz but the Monster does 0 to 60 in around 2.4 seconds and encourages some bad behaviour. luckily it has lots of adjustable electrics that keep the rubber facing down (so far).

OK Nu Me 1, just a heads up about Futaba servos. They are excellent servos but they have a little tag on the connector designed to prevent you from connecting the servo the wrong way round. Futaba receivers have a slot in them corresponding to the tag on the plug. If you want to fit a Futaba servo to any receiver other than a Futaba reciver you have to cut away the tag with a sharp knife. Not exactly a difficult task but I prefer Hitec HS311s myself. The negative wire always goes to the outside of every receiver I've ever used.

PS I've had three Honda 400Fs and a 350R when I was touring the USA.

Morning all.

David - I ordered the x4 servos yesterday. Went for the Futaba S148's. Thanks for the heads up in the notches and polarity. I have seen that all servos seem to fit the receivers one way round with some receivers having a mark to show this.

All these ex, or current, bikers coming out of the woodwork. Do you think it is about the workings of mechanics or electrics that point some people into similar hobbies and interests? I like bikes, motorbikes, watches and a few other mechanical based things. I think it comes from a love of Airfix models, Airfix miniature soldier's, meccano and electrical kits. I have x2 meccano Ducati kits still in their boxes somewhere in the house. I have always been interested in how things work.

Hi Percy - Thanks again for the pull deeper into more things I am unaware of. As above, 148 servos ordered after you pointed me to them and a good read up on them - They had much better reviews and for 50p each more, it is a no brainer!

I will search later for prop balancing but do understand the need. fast spinning when out of balance and lighweight plane aren't the best mix. Thanks again.

If you all don't mind, my first questions for today - and I DO appreciate the massive amount of help you have all given to me so far, are:

1) please recommend me a covering iron. The one suggested by a supplier is the Prolux Digital LCD Covering Iron

2) As per a previous post, the kit supplier had forgotten to mention a battery for the LT-40. I followed this up and they suggested either a; Panasonic Eneloop 2000mAh AA 4.8v RC square or; the same in flat. Any thoughts please?

3) Is the receiver battery charged via a particular charger, is this the same as one for a transmitter (assuming that the TX brought has a rechargeable in it? Are these different to a glow plug charger and starter charger?

Many thanks in advance.

Well NM, the iron looks a nice one, and top end, you could save a fiver maybe, with a plain analogue

The battery is fine for a 4 channel sport plane, with square or flat, your choice to fit in the model

Chargers are a larger topic, and an intelligent charger will charge all your items

They come with all the leads and cater for lead acid, lipo,liion, nihms

See what the lads suggest later, as mine is unavailable these days

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/07/2019 09:20:36

Thanks again guys

Denis - I will wait to get the battery. Once the kit arrives I can do some actually measuring up and see what looks to fit best.

" ...an intelligent charger... ", I don't want to talk to it.......................Good advice, I have three for the Duke (long story) when I put it away for Winter so it conditions the battery too. This needs a lot more reading. I will see if anyone else comments. Thanks.

Percy - I want to get something where I can leave everything on charge so all is ready for when I want to go out with the stuff. I know that will mean a battery conditioner of some kind that will deal with long term trickling and different types of batteries. thanks.

David - Unless anyone else chips in, the Prolux it is. Thanks.

Nu Me, get the iMax B6 charger (original with hologram on base). It will serve you well for any batteries you will need to charge now and in the future.

You don't need to keep everything on charge.. If you use 6V quality Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop battery 2000mAh (low self-discharge) for the receiver/servos and charge once, then it's ready whenever you wish to fly. Same goes for the Tx battery and glowstick. Later on you can upgrade to a 2cell LiFe batt for the Rx to save weight etc.

Edited By ASH. on 13/07/2019 13:56:19