Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.

john s

Great to hear that a number are interested in this model. It’s a great kit not difficult to build and very durable. I also added oleos to soften our bumpy grass strip. I think without them the wire undercarriage might be rather harsh.
I also use Robart air wheels which are nice and soft.

My Chipmunk gets flown a lot as it’s such a practical model and quick and easy to set up and maintain.  Take off does require some right rudder to deflect torque but the big rudder and design of this plane make it a really friendly model and smooth but accurate flyer. I have flown it in 20mph winds and it’s still very stable. 

I think I should mention that my Chippie has several modifications to the standard build as far as I can tell from the SLEC description.

This could mean my experience will be somewhat different to yours if you build to the plan/manual.

My 'USPs' are as follows....

Electric power not I/Cc, apparently the first so to be built so was leading edge at the time.

Runs on 2 x 6S 5800mAh LiPos and a separate 2S Rx LiPo to power the radio gear and other electronics.

It has air retracts fitted, Advanced Scale Models Retracts with a Xicoy V2S valve controller.

The U/C legs are spring oleos.

It is mainly fully skinned and glassed then spray painted.

If all goes well with this one and SLEC start making the Pennzoil kits again I would like to go a petrol converted twin as is fitted to my 1/4 scale Cub J-3.

That's got a SC FS-160 Horizontal Twin Cylinder 4 Stroke Engine With Full Petrol Conversion - it's so sweet ?

• 5 months later...
On 23/04/2022 at 14:56, Tim Flyer said:

The recommendations from the plans are:

Mild:

Ailerons 12mm(1/2”) up and down with expo

Elevators 19mm(3/4”) up and down 

Rudder 75mm(3”) left and right.

These rates are similar to what I’m using on my chipmunk now.
It’s a great plane and has seen a lot of flying. Handling is excellent and it’s a real pleasure to fly.

Mine is the new version with two piece wing and a Laser 180. The Laser 150/155 is probably the ideal power plant for this model.  

Well got to fly my Chipmunk for the first time yesterday. Very pleased with the performance over three flights but think the elevator movement needs to be increased a little. Also have removed a little of the church roof upfront as the model was still descending at high throttle settings. 

Awaiting a second outing when the wind is in the correct direction for our North South strip.