A123 cells actually at end of life!!!

I think I am just biased, I sha'nt use Lipos for anything greater than a 40 sized model. You are quite right about the price on Hobby City/United Hobbies, when I last looked I hadn't logged in. Anyway including shipping they are still the cheapest, and they have solder tabs. I have bought cells from there before but that was when the exchange rate was better and I have had no problems.

So how old is your oldest A123 pack? What capacity does it have?

My oldest pack ( I thought it was three years old but it turns out it was 2 years old in May) still holds 2270 mAh

Cheers
Danny

Richard I have seen on RC Groups that the cells from Olympic  are second hand , some guys have bought them and they seem ok

I have not flown with my A123 pack but cycled it about 10 times at 30 Amps , I stop discharging when the weak cell drops to 2V and put 2100 back .

I will work out how much capacity remains in the other 3 cells by discharging with a car bulb while timingt and watching current draw and voltage untill 2 volts per cell. I hope that there is at least another 100mah .

One thing is for sure these cells need running in!

At up to 5 cycles I was getting an initial peak of 625W which dropped to 580W after  a few seconds with the pack voltage (6 cells) dropping to 15.7V.

After 25 or so flights on the same setup I now get an initial peak of over 800W dropping  to 700W with the voltage hardly dropping below 17V.