F86 "Gamma" Build

Welcome to the first build blog for the PSSA Mass Build 2020.

This model is being built to confirm that the production cut files are correct after incorporating the adjustments from the independent Beta build.

One thing that I did notice when flying the prototype model during the Lleyn event is that my old eyes struggled at times to see the Sabre in its aluminium colour scheme against the grey sky/sea. For this reason the colour scheme above is going to be used on this aircraft.

Before any "scale police" make comments about it - yes I know that the full size aircraft depicted uses a 6-3 wing which is slightly different to that shown on the plan. However, I am comfortable with that! smiley

Wing Jig assembled. This allows the correct dihedral and washout to be easily built in. The prototype wing was built in one piece, whilst the second, and this third, wing have been built as two separate entities which will be joined together later in the build. Two smaller wing panels certainly makes construction a bit easier at this stage.sabre wing jig.jpeg

Well that's the colour scheme I was going to use for mine well and truly stolen!

Martin, I've got 3 PSS models pained green/grey camo upper surfaces and I have to say they are hard to see in cloudy conditions. Even allowing for your jaunty yellow bands I wouldn't say that is a high vis scheme...

Anyway, crack on and show all us mass-builders how it goes together!

The wing skins were made up from medium to medium hard (my personal preference as I usually end up poking my fingers through a softer skin!). At the moment the left and right wing skins have not been joined at the centre line - this will happen later in the build.

img_2922.jpg

The position of all the ribs, spars, false leading and trailing edges are marked onto the inside of the skins and the lower spars added. On this model I have used hard 3/16" x 1/4" balsa - it has proved to be more than strong enough on the prototype model which was skinned with lightweight fibreglass. If you are going to film cover the model then I would consider using some straight grained spruce for the spars.

img_2924.jpg

The wing ribs are cut slightly over length to allow for chamfering them to match the wing sweep at both the false LE and false TE strips. The spar slots also need to be angled to match the sweep.

I seemed to be spending more time sanding the ribs to match the sweep angle than I did in actually gluing the parts together. However, it does allow for good, strong glue joints.

Photo shows a trial fit of the ribs onto the lower wing skin and spar.

img_2925.jpg

Top spar and shear webs added, after more slot sanding. since I used medium hard 1/16" balsa for the wing skins I was able to use the offcuts from that part of the build to make the shear webs. yet again more sanding was required to angle the ends of the webs to fit the sweep angle.

Photo shows it all glued up with the false LE and TE fitted as well.

img_2932.jpg

The second wing has been completed to the same stage, so onto the fuselage construction.

Checking the fit of F15 at the rear end. This is one of the "Gotchas" on this model. It is very difficult to retro fit F15 after the rear formers are glued up!All looking good.

img_2936.jpg

img_2934.jpgThe plan calls for balsa keels 1/8" x 1/4" for the rear half of the fuselage. These can be a bit tricky to bend properly so two pieces of 1/8" square can be used as they will follow the curve easier.

I chose to cut some slotted keel pieces from 1/8" sheet instead. It takes a bit longer but locks all the formers in tight!

img_2940.jpg

Edited By Martin Gay on 29/07/2019 14:49:10