F86 "Gamma" Build

Another messy bench photo of the prototype fuselage being planked. I used 36 inch long strips to do this one and had to have multiple joins in the planks. Each joint was placed over a bulkhead former for strength, however there is nothing to stop you from using 48 inch long balsa planks.

img-20190224-wa0010.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Martin,

Have been looking at the plans today so that I can order things up and was wondering what Servo's you've used in the prototype?

I've always used Futaba Radio Gear and would like to know which Servo would be most suited as I've always used S148's or S3001's which have always worked out ok but I can see that I will need smaller Servo's for the Sabre build. Any advice would be greatly received.

All the Best

Phil Beard

Martin,

Have been looking at the plans today so that I can order things up and was wondering what Servo's you've used in the prototype?

I've always used Futaba Radio Gear and would like to know which Servo would be most suited as I've always used S148's or S3001's which have always worked out ok but I can see that I will need smaller Servo's for the Sabre build. Any advice would be greatly received.

All the Best

Phil Beard

Martin,

Hopefully this will be my last question.

What size of Piano Wire and tube did you use for the Tail using the SLEC SL834-R Obtuse Angle Tail Horn.

Just going to check with what I've got in stock or purchase along with my wood order and the tail horn.

Thanks for your help as I'm hoping to have everything ready and waiting on the 1st Nov to start the build.

All the Best

Phil Beard

Hi Phil,

You can drill out the tail horn to suit the wire you have. However it must still fit inside the tailplames.

For info the prototype used 1/8" (8g or 3.2mm) for the front joiner and 3/32" (10g or 2.4mm) for the rear joiner. The rear needs to be thinner as it is closer to the tail trailing edge.

Edited By Martin Gay on 21/08/2019 22:23:23

• 4 weeks later...

Peter, thank you.

It's been so long since I've done any real woodwork that I have forgotten lessons learned in the past. It's a long ways back from the House of Sin. So busy talking, instead of actually building.

So I have now dusted off my glue stash and found that I need to replenish the Super 'Phatic et al; and today I learned of a new product from Titebond: QUICK & THICK -- new to you all? Heavy? I shall give it a try here and there as I now finish up my A-4 Skyhawk 2016 Glacial-Speed build. Product promo video: https://youtu.be/XLjE9Bbk-bw

p.s.  Peter, your build blogs are GREAT!  Tons of helpful stuff, and lots of dry savage wit.

Edited By John H. Rood on 24/09/2019 17:43:21

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking you are bringing plans Mark 2 to the correct scale Martin?

I am deep in Jet Provost land at the moment. I am not sure the jets I am making out of balsa will propel it to twice the speed of sound. I have so much scrap wood, I could probably install a log burner.

If anyone wants some left over 3/8, I can bring my spares with me to the Orme if anyone wants it?