F86 "Gamma" Build

Hi Martin, thanks for the build info. I would still be sat staring at the plans without it. My method of keeping the jig true and steady is to glue it to a piece of worktop. This frees up my building board for the fuselage (a bit of multi-tasking coming up). I've started early because I'm an old Duffer who takes his time. I've shaped the wing skins and marked them up. Time to start gluing.

I tried to add a photo but failed..... so much to learn...

Austin

I've just been musing about planking (note the spelling), and have realised that in reality I am due another lost foam fibreglass fuselage, but it is too late now as I have bought the kit of parts, so if anyone wants a kit of parts, I am prepared to have a crack at it. Let me know. You can have it for the same cost as I paid, less the cost of the plan which I think is £10 which obviously I need. I think this really lends itself to a fibreglass fuselage.

Actually delete that as I realise I need the parts for the wing, so will have to keep thinking..hmmm.... will see how many parts I will be wasting - actually I can use the formers for inside the fuselage instead - brilliant...yes..hmm..(can hear cogs whirring...)..yes indeed, I think we have a plan Holmes....

Edited By Peter Garsden on 18/10/2019 09:12:40

Hi Pete,

You could frame up the fuselage sides and then add foam blocks. These could be hollowed out from the inside and fibreglassed on the outside.

Once cured, melt the remaining foam out.

I look forward to hearing how it all goes but don't forget the model was designed to use a 3mm balsa skin.

Thanks Martin, having done this before a few times, I think that this will only work as a true lost foam fuselage. I will cut out the foam from top and bottom and left and right with a hot wire then sand it to shape. I won't need all the formers, probably just front and back. One has to put the formers in from inside out which is difficult, but in reality, with fibreglass they are not really needed as the structure is itself strong enough. I will use carbon and kevlar to strengthen high stressed areas.

You will see what I mean when I start my blog. I am sure I have seen fibreglass fuselage versions of the Sabre before,and it will be as strong as a brick ****house

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, pls could you advise, I'm trying to get my head around preparing the lower wing skins. Is it 2 X 3" wide sheets step jointed/ optimised to cover the main area, plus a little bit more thickness added at the wing root area to get full chord depth? Plus is the wing sheet joint roughly parallel to the main spar? Thanks in advance.

Hi Harry,

I cut one sheet with the grain parallel to the leading edge and one sheet with the grain parallel to the trailing edge. The remaining part of the skin near the wing root had another piece added with the grain roughly in the root to rip direction.

My main joint ended up slightly behind the spar. See photo.

img_2922.jpg

Edited By Martin Gay on 01/11/2019 22:25:14

Hi Martin,

I'm making a start on my fuselage.

The way the tabs have been cut on the wing bolt plate WP1, the plate doesn't touch F7 when inserted into F14. I suspect the intention was for the tabs to be further forward so that it does touch F7, as shown on the fuselage side view. I am inclined to leave the slots in F14 as they are and just cut off some of the tabs at the rear of WP1 to slide it further back. Is this correct?

Martin,

I'm just starting the build of the wing and have noticed at the front between R3 port to R3 stbd their is a 4.76mm thick piece of ply. Is the shape of this defined anywhere or do you just fit a piece in place and sand to suitable section but I do see we need dowel holes placed in this also. Any photos you may have of this would be grateful.

Also and photos of how you installed the servos would be good as well.

All the Best

Phil B

Hi Martin,

Following Phil's advice - and as nobody answers on my build thread - I would like to post some questions here >

- following Phil’s advice, I’m making my lower wing sheets with an extra 10mm at the LE, wing tip and TE. Assuming they are the same, can I prepare my upper wing sheets now while the wing plan is still on the board?

- regarding the servo wires for flaps & elevators I don’t see any provisions for those - paper tubes, straws or just holes – in the build threads so far. Shouldn’t it be easier to have some holes in the ribs before gluing them in?

Apologies for interfering with your thread. angel

Cheers

Chris