Flyer's F86 Sabre

sabre airbrake deployed.jpgOk, now trying to work out the deployment of the airbrake. I made a mock up to prove that I've got the general idea. Not sure why the picture does not show correctly, but blames new iPhone!

The prototype is way out is shape over the shape shown on the plan, but this exercise was to establish the angles of the hinging. The opening mechanism should be a type of lever, from central, carbon push rod, transferred thro bell crank to 3mm pushrod and clevis.

sabre air brake prototype.jpg

Edited By Flyer on 15/02/2020 14:18:28

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martin Gay on 25/02/2020 21:35:43:

It will get easier on the second Sabre.

"Practice makes perfect!"

Thanks Martin, hoping to lay the second ( and longer) one down on Sunday. Hope to debut working airbrakes in situ too. Am I correct in noting that if I use a rudder, that the mechanism could be inline with the tail controls?

Is it a case of clever bending of control rods around said elevator?

Cheers

Ade

A little more done on fuselage one. Finally bought myself a cheap Balsa Stripper. Why had I not bought one years ago I do not know. This has made planking a lot lot easier, and has made it almost bearable!

balsa stripper.jpg

So, I now have two halves; tonight I will remove the second half off the building board to see if they line up. Hopefully I've built matching halves blush. Learning new skills all the time; I had thought that you cant teach old dogs new tricks............ I just perfect the ones I know!.

planking !!.jpg

Cheers

Ade

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I managed to finally cut out the additional formers and lay down the keel of the second airframe.

Used my new scroll saw for the first time; does that make me a 'real' modeler now? Or do I have to design and build first?

Anyway, stay safe lads, and see you all on the hill when conditions allow.

cheers

Ade2 seater laydown 002.jpg

2 seater laydown 001.jpg

Edited By Flyer on 23/03/2020 07:55:25

• 2 weeks later...

Well, spent the weekend trying to get a workable solution to the air brakes. It's not perfect, but I've worked out a solution, that should do the job. Just need to 3D print a connector to link the brake actuator to the brake, but that will not take long. The brake is held on the hinge bracket by a 2mm rod, which itself goes through a hole in the additional liteply bulkhead. The bracket itself will be bolted to that bulkhead, so could be removed if necessary. Once this is in position, I will glue balsa onto the brake to enable final sanding.

sabre air brake 1 001.jpg

sabre air brake 1 003.jpg

Also, I'm trying to establish the maximum width of the canopy please. I have the height and length, but am struggling with the width.

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade,

I remembered your question when I was at La Grotte today, so if it can help you, the width of my canopy at the maximum width - ie. about 10 > 15mm behind the point where the full size canopy slides back - is 84mm.

Hope this helps

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 06/04/2020 19:52:10:

Hi Ade,

I remembered your question when I was at La Grotte today, so if it can help you, the width of my canopy at the maximum width - ie. about 10 > 15mm behind the point where the full size canopy slides back - is 84mm.

Hope this helps

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Thanks Chris, that helps me immensely. I hope to have two canopy plugs ready within a week!

cheers

Ade

Well, after putting it off for many days, I've finally made up the tail plane actuator. It was actually not as bad as I had thought, and many thanks to those of you that have given guidance. All I have to make now is the second set, but that's today's job.

One question I have is regarding the tailplanes. Are you gluing this on permanently, or are the piano wire supports held by friction in tubes set into the tail planes?

Finally, I've now glued up my blank for the canopy plug. The canopy itself is close to 19 inches, and I'm making the plug out of mdf. I find that this gives a good plug, and will handle the pressure of being moulded without distorting. The final finish on it is P38 body filler, which when polished with wax, allows a good release of the PETG once pulled.

I'll be shaping the blank over next few days; pics to follow.

Cheers

Ade

canopy blank.jpg

Hi Ade,

I remember reading some builders kept the tailplanes on just by friction with only a spot of Pritt, while others are gluing them at the very end of the build - ie. after glassing and painting.

As I have no dihedral with my Dog, I think I will glue them at the end.

Maybe some Sabre guru can jump in to help?

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

004.jpgAirbrake mechanism2.jpgCheers Martin, I'll give that a go.

I've struggled to get a working solution for the air brakes. I was going to use a connector to join both brakes together, but, on reflection, I think I'll use individual min servos, as it will have less slop in the system, and also allow a little bit of adjustment on each airbrake. I will now have an access hatch under the fuselage, 'just in case'. There are hand holes in the formers, which are approximately where I need the mechanism to go. I've 3D printed some plastic 'bearings' to give smooth operation of the brakes. The servo will pull the linkage to open the brakes, and push to close. I attach a few pictures that hopefully show the detail. The hinge line is not vertical, which does give a small droop on opening, however, I'm not sure if it's enough. Balsa will now be added to the profile on the outer face to blend in with the fuselage. A thin balsa 'box' will be added inside to clean up the install, and this will be fitted before joining the two halves.

Airbrake mechanism1.jpg

cheers, Ade

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got myself motivated enough to start shaping the canopy plug. It is a sadly satisfying way to spend a few hours with the radio on in the workshop. I transferred the basic shape onto the blank by using carbon paper under the hand-drawn sketch. Then a little electric planning to give an approximate shape. Then onto the coarse sanding file. I reckon I'm around half ay there on shaping, and then will be a few applications of P38 filler, along with several coats of high build primer.

I am also intending to use the plug to make a fibre glass canopy frame as per Dirk's method. They really finish off the look.

Cheers for now

Ade

img_0050.jpg

img_0053 (1).jpg

img_0054.jpg

Edited By Flyer on 10/05/2020 18:45:07

• 4 weeks later...

Mojo found !!!! Have spent last few evenings sanding and filling canopy plug, so will be pulling canopies tomorrow evening. I've now just about given up with the airbrakes with regard to getting them to droop correctly. I will be going with what I have now. At least I'll be onto my favourite part soon; making the wings!

dsc_0407.jpg

The following picture shows the rear part of the canopy I've been trying to replicate.

dsc_0409.jpg

dsc_0411.jpgHere you go Chris,

Not as good as I'd like, but materials are limited at moment, so it will have to do. Two boxed up for yah Martin wink.

Now to finish the air brake install and connect those servos and I'll be able to join the fuselage halves.

Cheers

Adedsc_0410.jpg

Thanks Chris, but it's not as good as I had hoped. But hopefully close enough to scale to stop the scale police creating a fuss devil. Fortunately, only a few aircraft were ever made, so documentation is fairly scarce. But don't tell everyone...….

cheers
Ade