Flyer's F86 Sabre

Very nice Martin, glad to see that the canopy looks about right. I finally have two fuselages that have been glued together, and will be tackling the tail ends this weekend. Work's been the priority since April, so have had my time severely limited. Am currently printing the final pilots for the TF86, and will then be in a position to commence on the wings.

Should have some time over Xmas to finalise both.

Again, superb looking model.

Cheers

Ade

Close Peter. As far as I can gather, it was designed as a trainer, and I believe only three were made, yet only pictures of two survive. As an aside, my version will be the one that crashed........

Chris's version I believe was developed for carrier use, but I may be wrong on that. No doubt Chris will confirm in due course.

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade & Peter,

The Dog wasn't developed for carrier use, basically it was an interceptor issued from the F-86 family.

The F-86D, K and L Sabres were often nicknamed Sabre Dog.

It was an all-weather subsonic interceptor, utilizing sophisticated radar equipment - hence the radome nose - for tracking enemy targets, mainly strategic bomber formations. As the sole armament consisted of 24 unguided Mighty Mouse rockets, it was not designed for dogfights.

Pilots had a tough job of flying the aircraft and aiming at the same time using its radar. After depressing the trigger, embedded algorithms determined the final moment for releasing the rockets.

Here are the different types of Sabre Dogs >

F-86D

Production interceptor originally designated F-95A, 2,504 built.

F-86G

Provisional designation for F-86D variant with uprated engine and equipment changes, 406 built as F-86Ds.

F-86K

NATO version of F-86D; MG-4 fire control system; four 20 mm M24A1 cannon with 132 rounds per gun; APG-37 radar. 120 were built by North American, 221 were assembled by Fiat.

The K-version is the one I'm modelling (trying to).

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers & stay careful

Chris

• 5 months later...

Been on stop for a few months with work and family stuff. I've also been refurbishing a Myford 7 lathe I'd acquired, with a few attempts at producing a working RDS adaptor.     762015349_RDSAdaptor.thumb.JPG.67a97fe81fa140f2410638343ed5fb83.JPG                                                                                                                                                                 Have managed something that works. Weight is 4g without the control rod (which is 2mm). I am now in a position to finish the wings, so that is this weeks aim.