Electrifying a 120cm chuck glider

I've just finished transforming a 35cm chuck glider into an rc ailerons/elevator sloper, and am now eying a 120cm chuck glider to transform into a lazy afternoon rudder/elevator glider.

Empty it probably weighs about 150g. What sort of power setup would I need, for a leisurely launch?

Hi, Kevin,

Here is my Build of the Bolt.

Which shows how i and Neil did a conversion.

Adding a motor on the front would also be easy to do. if you want a powered glider.

Hi Rene,

Maybe you could do the same on your glider i did mine as a two separate wings but could of glued together as one large wing and i also could of used a spruce spar in place of a carbon rod. Also 5g servo will do for the Ailerons and elevator.

Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 08/08/2019 23:13:06

• 2 months later...

Hi Rene, Did you get anywhere regarding what motor/prop to use on The Bolt?

I initially experimented with making my original Bolt RC just for control surfaces (no motor) and it flew quite well (flat field). Now I want to make my 2nd Bolt to include an electric launch motor but don't have a clue what motor size to get. Some research shows me that I can also get this to just under 250gm auw.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Richard

Hi there,

I am in the process of building an Electric version of The Bolt, But i like my models Fast.

My glider version which is also fast weights in at 445g.

So if my Electric version comes out at lets say 600g 1.3 Lbs the my motor would need to be at lest 150 watts.

But for me a 250 watt will do nicely.

Steve. wink