Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Thank you both, Phil & Nigel.

I remember seeing some landing light on the F86D indeed, but the NATO countries - like the Dutch squadron one I'm replicating - were using the 'K' version.

I'll have to do some more research, I guess...

Thanks & cheers, young men

Chris

Good reference photo Nigel - I couldn't find one when I looked earlier - some views of plastic models suggested the lights had been deleted but your photo is very clear!

A bit more masking and painting here tonight with the red Turbine Disc location warning stripe which wraps around the rear fusealge and spine.  The only paint left to apply now is the silver exhaust panels.  All the panel lines are on and apart from the BEWARE OF BLAST transfer all the water slides are now in place and ready for lacquer. 

1372347608_lastfusdecals.thumb.jpg.1343b4272e1c8f5ddd8225218cffcaf8.jpg

• Like 1

Phil

A very impressive build an example in fine detail ... something I aspire to.

Dirk's Fouga Master and Chris McG are others I've been watching since I came back to aeromodelling last year in the enforced lockdown and a life re-set.

There are some very fine craftsmen on here.

There was another picture on https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/north-american-aviation-f-86d-sabre/

f86D_north_american.jpg.246cdaee6388ad5b77b3c07b88559931.jpg

Nigel

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind words Nigel.  Yes I have also been a long admirer of both Dirk and Chris' work, I'm humbled that they are both taking part in our PSSA Mass Build this year!

1742366624_exhaustpaint1.thumb.jpg.9f948c1393f1af0ff97b40902f56972f.jpg

I've marked up and painted the exhaust panels tonight, although it needs another coat once the metallic enamel has dried.  Whilst I was waiting for that I made up a 55mm circle from black card which will sit in the jet pipe and cover the fuselage mounting hole.  I've given that a few coats of clear lacquer in an attempt to weather proof it before I fit it with a dab of glue.

Finally, I've made up some little tail lights from a couple of pins with plastic dome heads of the right sort of diameter.  They are just pushed into the tail block on a centreline and sit in tiny little cups made from a short length of snake outer.  The housings should really be yellow, but the snake material doesn't paint at all well and the blue matches the stripes, so they can stay blue!

1731210210_exhaustpaint2.thumb.jpg.abd1365da5f3814ba7c6d2ce167a7341.jpg

• Like 2

Only a small update but an important milestone! - other than my new Operator ID (which I'll apply after the model is lacquered) this is the very last decal and paint needed on the model!  I should be able to get the lacquer on later today if the weather is fine in Derbyshire!

784017457_finaldecal.thumb.jpg.f96678bc9cb7222974077ff88f69611e.jpg

• Like 2

Up early today and I've got the fuselage back on the mount, cleaned down, lacquered and unmasked all before work.  Good to see the pilot again after his few weeks in a dark office!  The combination of primer, paint and lacquer gives the cockpit frame a little positive lip - not as realistic as Dirk's composite frame method I admit but it looks and feels about right.   Time now to add the battery and Rx and see where she balances, hopefully it wont need too much church roof up front!?!? ?

1980169779_lacqueredfus.thumb.jpg.904a4d899742d14b53fc7d81b2fec5b5.jpg

• Like 7

Fitted the battery and Rx and got the model all balanced up this morning with some good news - to achieve the recommended balance point of 172mm rear of F4/Wing L/E I only had to add 10g of lead which I attached to the front of the battery.  The battery (4 cell 2300mAh NiMh Eneloop) was also fitted with some ribbon to aid retreaval when required and it was wrapped in foam to bulk it out a little to stop it rattling around in the battery box.  Once fully inserted forwards the box was flush filled with a block of high density foam. 

915512886_batteryinstall.thumb.jpg.ccdf610044e2ba9bc3266358a96cf855.jpg

With the model all set up and balanced I confirmed the AUW as 1835g or just a smidge over 4lb.  The Tx was programmed for all basic inputs, rates and expo.  I still need to set up the draggerons but I'll have to do that another time - the sun was out and with the model all rigged up I took the opportunity to grab some outdoor photos whilst I could!

Edited by Phil Cooke

In a word, Phil....STUNNING!

You're showing us all the way to go about scale modelling again.

I reckon you should let someone else judge this MB, so that you can be in the running for a prize at last. How about inviting a modelling celebrity to help with the judging - Mr. D.Fenton, for example (other celebrities are available!).

• Thanks 1

Nice work Phil, I reckon even I might be able to see that model in the air! There is a going to be a need for sunglasses when flying that!

As to judging the mass build, we could always get all the Sabre pilots present to vote for the winners of each category- but not their own. One model equals one vote, not sure about those idiots that will be bringing three Sabres (I'm guilty as charged!).

Edited by Martin Gay
  • Thanks 1