Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the kind comments on the model guys!   Greatly appreciated!

Before the model is fully flight ready and can be moved off the bench ready for it's first road trip to Wales, I did have a few final jobs to complete.  I've glued the tailplanes onto the rods with just a smear of 20 minute epoxy.  I've also made up a nose former cover from weatherproofed black card just like in the exhaust, covering the mounting holes and giving the illusion of an intake void.

1043043658_finalbalance1.thumb.jpg.6db64db466b192bc14bc6cf0578fabed.jpg

273954837_finalbalance2.thumb.jpg.443823ee9333e5273eaea0bfa353665a.jpg

In checking the models CoG with and without tanks I noticed a rearward movement of balance point with the tanks fitted!  Not ideal.  To be sure I made up a little balance support which fitted over my fuselage stand.  Without the tanks, the model balanced right on the line 172mm rear of F4.  With the tanks on this moved rearward by ~8mm - not good!  The tanks need to be more nose heavy - adding weight to them isn't ideal but it would appear each tank needs 15g in its nose to move the tank balance forward by about 25mm, sufficient to maintain an unaltered aircraft CoG regardless of whether they are being carried or not.   Looks like I'm in the market for some big ball bearings to mount in the nose of the two wing tanks!  ?

• Like 2

And dropping bombs is probably something to factor into the PSS Event Risk Assessment. I could stand in an appropriate place as a Marshall to warn walkers that highly explosive ball bearing clad bombs could be dropping in their area at any moment, and advise them to wear metal helmets? ?

• Like 1

OK the tanks have been modified to correct their balance point relative to the GoG of the aircraft, meaning now the aircraft CoG remains at 172mm rear of F4 regardless of whether the tanks are fitted or not.  I bought some 16mm dia stainless steel ball bearings off ebay, each weighing in at 17g, which has done the job nicely I'm hoping.  Here's how...

I chopped the tanks noses off ? and used the dremel to mill out half a sphere just bigger than the diameter of the BB.

1068370874_tankweight1.thumb.jpg.9fe0dd7ef1e18a62fc1cfa0a9ea37c4c.jpg

210447520_tankweight2.thumb.jpg.098d86a46297bf02de07deaeb1c39358.jpg

The BB's were epoxied into their pockets and then given a blending coat of P38 (I didnt fancy having bare metal on the outer surface of the tank)

1537884420_tankweight3.thumb.jpg.5666bc87c0665375df63026398e34720.jpg

Like little Easter cup-cakes with their fondant!

1866947470_tankweight4.thumb.jpg.e1cbc4b0f5460ac06fc80120a383badb.jpg

Finally this was all sanded back and blended, then primed ready for a bit more blue paint in the Airbrush.  Total weight gain is 18g per tank and their CoG has been pushed forward to the required position relative to the balance point of the aircraft.  Should all be relatively stress free now when we release the payload at low level over the LZ!

1131890440_tankweight5.thumb.jpg.7da010624867ba698569894b652e0dd9.jpg

Edited by Phil Cooke
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a chance to test fly my Sabre earlier today on the NW slope overlooking Hells Mouth Bay near Abersoch.  It all went fine so I thought I'd report on my first experience with the model.

79067537_Sabre3.thumb.jpg.1391d3c39c455e426e103468d5aa61fa.jpg 

The winds were only 12-15mph in strength, a little less than ideal but other models were flying well so I decided to go for it!  The model flew well with only a little trim needed on the elevator from the off.  It was responsive in pitch and roll using the control throws on the plan.  During the flight my initial thougths were it was just a tiny bit tail heavy.  But having mulled the flight over whilst driving home I now think that the model was just flying towards the lower limits of the lift required, perhaps it never really got 'on song' - certainly I needed a few clicks of up trim in the conditions to maintain level flight - so I now dont think it was tail heavy, just not quite in optimum trim due to marginal lift.

1835811821_Sabre2.thumb.jpg.6f89dbe422db8bc6c73b6275be4195c0.jpg

I flew the model for 10 minutes or so before performing a cross slope landing into the heather at the launch point, it was all quite controllable and I eagerly look forward to being able to fly the Sabre again in conditions that are just a little bit stronger!  Big thanks go to Andy Meade for the photography today whilst I was sweating on the sticks!

1236768716_Sabre1.thumb.jpg.16f2b05d6f0f389df1597217be2e3ce5.jpg

Edited by Phil Cooke
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Phil, the pssa event on Saturday was a good bit of fresh air.

How was Sunday rain wise ?

My camera was only good for pictures of the planes on the ground and trying to get them from laptop to phone then here seems impossible.

Can you post some pictures of the event for the non slopers so they can see what they are missing please ?

Edited by Rich Griff

Hi RIch, good to meet up Saturday thanks for coming to see us on the slopes!  Sunday was wet apart from a couple of hours 11am-1pm so we pulled stumps quite early, thankfully Monday offered some good opportunities for those lucky enough still to be on the peninsula.  All in there was a lot of good flying achieved over the long weekend from 3 different slopes!

I will put some photos us as soon as they're edited on the main PSSA Events thread, this here is just Sabre MB related posts.

Could you post a link please Phil, can't seem to find pssa info of the event on here, maybe your still compiling info.

Looking forward to the next one, will try and bring a model or two...those tiny alpha jets look good and would fit on the bike easily...

Edited by Rich Griff

• 1 month later...

My Sabre was flown again in good strength winds at the Orme last weekend - it went really well too - the model putting on a lovely show of speed and feeling great in both roll and pitch.  The Sabre proved fully aerobatic with some lovely big loops and reversals!!  I was a bit lucky in landing getting the model caught in ground effect after an intial touchdown and bounce reduced the speed below that of normal flight but remaining airborne close to the edge in the high winds.  The model veered to the right more akin to a kite than a radio controlled soarer but thankfully my full left aileron input with the headwind was just authoritative enough to level the wings again before the second touchdown.  I got away with it and thankfully the model came home without any damage!   Ill wrap it in cotton wool now until the Mass Build Event September 18th.

EDITIMG_5102.thumb.jpg.414661bdf3fd39bf13c2b750fae8767a.jpgEDITIMG_4770.thumb.jpg.d65af96dd8a2394a6f40b092bf382488.jpg

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My Yugo F-86 flew last at the Bwlch in August, perfect conditions for it with a 25mph wind bang onto Mickeys slope, and some glorious blue skies to explore - it was in its element!  Some photos taken on my camera by Bob Jennings, Steve McLaren and Dave Worron, thanks chaps!

EDITIMG_7923.thumb.jpg.0027bc55f2fb85b4794f5b3cb5e52887.jpg

EDITIMG_7458.thumb.jpg.8e12e8e541feb29dba31b32ae3c10796.jpg

EDITIMG_7911.thumb.jpg.7d04d04951bfa3efe5d32dac8478d6ab.jpg

Edited by Phil Cooke
  • Like 4