Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread

Hi phil ,nice going there,

Maybe it's a little late but not TOO late.

I finded out just now myself:

If i would build it again i would place the fuse former ,the one just behind the seat position,a little more to the back to have room for a'' bang'' seat.Just pre-fitted a pilot and it's going to be a tight fit !!

Your 'canoe' looks great, Phil.

Nearly done with the planking now. cool

Regarding former F4 which is in the way of the ejection seat, it is certainly not too late.

What I did is gluing a transverse spruce strip to it, being later able to chop off the top part with a Dremel and a diamond blade.

707_sprucestrip_f4_900.jpg

This might be a bit late for Dirk now as his cockpit structure is already in place... indecision

Please also note that it might not work for a full length pilot, but my driver is only down to his waist.

Cheers

Chris

yeah a full depth cockpit on this one would be difficult with the battery box. Thanks for the 'heads up' with your findings whilst I can still make the alterations - but I must admit I hadn't considered making anything up beyond a sub-surface mounted bust on this one, in an attempt to keep it relatively simple. I'll give it a bit more thought before I close the fuselage halves later today...

So the 2 fuselage halves came away from the building board today and after re-enforcing some of the key joints around the wing box with a smear fillet of epoxy I offered the 2 sides together to check alignment.

Not too bad, the extreme nose and tail both curl outwards a little (~1/8" under the residual stress of some of the tighter planking rads no doubt, but this will easily pull in when the halves are clamped and glued. Certainly all the formers were well aligned and true, so that was a win - although I did have to file back the top mating faces of F3 and F4 a little (maybe 1/32" to get their neighboring formers to seat better.

planking 5.jpg

I trimmed the front and back overhangs closer to F1 and F10 and then set about removing the central area of F6 - which I needed to do to allow the torque rods to work freely on the wing - easier to cut this out now before the halves are joined.

former f6.jpg

I removed the shaded area, easy with a Dremel and a permagrit file.

former f6 2.jpg

Hey Dallas - great to see you on the forum! thumbs up

So I finally got to join the fuselage halves today... final dry checking proved everything aligned pretty well with some minor bow to combat with clamps between F1-F2 at the nose and F9-F10 at the tail. I gave each side a reasonable coating of PVA and aligned them by hand, best fitting any minor mismatch whilst ensuring F4 (as a main datum) was as true as possible. Once clamped all round, along top and bottom spines from front to back, I left it to dry in the vertical.

fus join 1.jpg

One issue I did note was that the wing mounting plate seemed to 'float' a little between the 2 F14 formers - as if the fuselage was a couple of mm too fat around the wing seat - but the 2 halves of F7 at the rear of the mount were butt-jointed on the centreline - so all I did was centrally float the plate in its mounts leaving a 1.5mm gap each side. This would need reinforcing with triangular stock once dry.

fus join 4.jpg

Whilst that was all drying I made up a simple jig from a sheet of white polystyrene foam and some scrap 2.5" x 1.5" timber. The recesses were sized and shaped to accept the fus at F2 and F8. This will help me handle the fuselage whilst I'm finishing the top and bottom planking and mounting the tail - it will also act as a useful transport aid in weeks to come!

fus join 2.jpg

Nice progress, Phil.

Regarding the wing plate, I had exactly the same, but I thought I had been 'oversanding' it myself.

No panic involved as it was, like yours, very floaty laterally.

I just made a couple of small fillets of epoxy and micro-balloons to properly fill the gaps.

By the way, I noticed that you prepared your wing bolts and blind nuts already. I must admit that I still don't understand the involved sequence to bring the wing correctly to the fuselage.  surprise

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 15/02/2020 23:35:11

Chris - Dirk has covered this well in his build blog - its the trimming of the fuselage sides to the correct profile thats the tricky bit I think allowing for dihedral and a the thickness of any wing seat/fillet material... a job for another day wink

The dowel holes are pre-set in F4 and I just read the position of the captive nuts off the plan - I will have to make the wing suit the fuselage now with those final details, but only once its 'sat' correctly in the wing saddle. Dirks recommendation again was to glass the wing before any of this takes place due to the amount of handling involved - all makes sense. So many jobs still to do...

img_2012.jpg

Hi Phil I’ve been following your blog as we are at similar stages of the build. I’ve read Martin’s gamma blog, and he said before joining the fuz halves you need to do the battery box, wing bolt plate and bell crank. I understand how you’ve been able to omit the box at this stage but you didn’t mention the bell crank for the elevator. Can I leave the bell crank until after joining or are you doing something different?

hope that makes sense

Andy