Sabre made in Belgium

Hija Dirk,

What grammage of glass cloth are you going to use for the fuse/wing of your model?

My plan was to use 25g/m².but I stand to be corrected of course.

Your test cloth looks 'heavier' on the picture, but maybe they were just off-cuts from the canopy?

Can you bring a bit of light, please...

Cheers

Chris

Hi guy's

cleaned up the glassing of the test gunport and to my surprise it worked out very well !I had doubts that the epoxy would be hard to sand where the glass stops.With a little primer on top they seem indeed smaller !

20200306_230547.jpg

With enough time left i took a shot at the glassing of the bottomside of the wing.I prepared 30gr epoxy and cut the fabric oversized. I allways place the glasscloth on a dry covering surface and once positioned secure it with dots of resin brushed on.I then continu dividing it with a spunge roll.Do not roll in one direction because you will pull the fabric away,instead roll back and forth until the resin has ''filled'' the cloth.Don't try to cover the 90° angled sides , like the inside of the aileron cove.This just needs a coat of resin. Wrinkels in the fabric can be rolled out by rolling in one direction,pulling the fabric to the edges.Leading edges are best done with the roll perpendicular with the wing. Everything past the centerline will be cut or sanded away.The same for the wing- tips.

All these tips are based on experiance and i'm sure there are other way's to do this job,it's just my opinion on the matter...Take your time for this,it can ''make or brake''your model

Last tip :Use slow curing epoxy ,it gives you more time !(like 1hour drying time)

20200306_230523.jpg

Hi Dirk,

The gun port does look really great.

Your glassing tips will indeed be very useful for a lot of us.

While you are at glassing - and while patiently waiting for your cockpit seat - don't forget to glass a little test-piece to try out Fred's Secret Sauce...

Remember our meeting in Wavre > 'Bella Ballerina, blz 43'... wink

Cheers

Chris

Dirk can I ask a question - did you shape the L/E of your ailerons to a half round section or did you go for an angled chamfer? I'm never sure which to do on jets.

I guess the half round better suits the small knuckle hinges you've used, which I am also using here...

There's nothing wrong with taking the easy way home Chriswink 2!

Just a little detail on glassing parts

Positioning the fabric on a dry surface and securing it with resin

20200310_213434.jpg

20200310_213443.jpg

20200310_213456.jpg

Roll the resin out ,don't be economical with it,the roll wil absorb most of it

20200310_213653.jpg

Get the wrinkels out by rolling to the edge. Take the part in your hands and roll the edges,using enough resin,you need to roll it into the wood!

20200310_213749.jpg

When dryed overnight ,sand the loose fabric away and brush-on some resin on angled sides and places where there's no fabric like aileron tips,hinge slots etc...Use enough resin and go over it with a rol ,done

20200310_220701.jpg

Hope this helps the ones who never did it....glassing i mean !!!embarrassed

Hi again ,

With everything glassed ,well everything but the fuse anyway,i did a little work on the interior.

I received the seat also from Andy so let's finish the saloon !!

20200313_231326.jpg

Anyone who's installing a pilot will find that the jockey needs surgerie on his legs ...Mine did anyway ...

In the back of the seat i placed two U-shaped sliders (ABS)to guide the seat out...

20200313_230602.jpg

The ply sliding plate is glued to the eject installation and gets supported by a ply triangle.When everything is complete and working i will try to lose as much material as possible to get the weight down.

20200314_225829.jpg

On the red servo-horn comes a pushrod right trough the spring loaded seat (bottom )to prevent the seat being ejected.On the opposit horn (out of sight)comes the pushrod who releases the canope via the epoxy hinge(hook)

x20200314_225838.jpg

Installed in the fuse it looks like this:

20200314_230118.jpg

With the seat in place:

x20200314_230142.jpg

The area behind the seat will be closed by the canope base and contain the parashute.Once the canope is thrown-off ,the shute will hopefully be pulled out by the seat embarrassed!!

Remember ,this is just a try-out ,and when it gives too much problems it stay's on the shelf.

Untill then i'll keep on trying ! Stay tuned ! This could be a'' premiere''

Excellent idea Dirk. I'm sure there'll be plenty of SAR volunteers to pick up the pilot! yes

I did try to release a secret agent parachutist from my Vulcan bomb bay but even though he jumped from quite a distance from the slope face, due to the slope lift he cleared us at quite a good height and made his way off to invade the pier on the other side of the Orme! surprise

More work on the bang seat :

I made a little reinforcement in aluminium to take away the stress between the ground plate and the sliding plate

20200318_213919.jpg

In it's place it looks like this :Just needs a little rivet to hold on to the sliding plate reinforcement triangle20200318_213900.jpg

The canope base ends just behind the seat ,so there's some room for some furniture

20200321_234208.jpg

The hole at the rear is the housing for the spring who blows away the canope once the hook has released it,i hope...At the far end you can see a carbon dowel glued in to keep the canope in the right position.

Under this base is the room for the shute.You can see here (at the far end)the hole that houses the carbon dowel.Left of it is the canope release hook operated by the servo.

20200322_200226.jpg

The little round piece on the battery box holds the seat-spring in the right place,under the right angle(oblique)At the bottom you can see the servo -operated pin that holds the seat(now withdrawn)

The last work in the cockpit area is to put in some side panels,left side with a throttle.

x20200322_225850.jpg

Blank on the right side.These will get a decal with some nobs and things...

Please ignore the last pic in this post,could not delete it...

20200322_225910.jpg

20200318_213919.jpg

Hi Chris,at the first eject test , the seat reached a hight of 1 meter !!(without the parashute )

Today i started to sand the fuse and noticed i forgot the tail lights, so i drilled some holes right trough the balsa tail end block to guide the wires.The leds will be glued in after painting

20200323_232341.jpg

x

x

x

x

x

x