Sabre made in Belgium

I've been testing today with the canope release system and the ejection seat.

Throwing off the canope went well but ejecting the seat requires some modifications.The tention on the seat is too strong for the servo to retract the seat pin.I will try tomorrow with a 6V battery instead of 4.8V

I also moved the release pin more towards the center of the servo ,for more torque.

20200328_010655.jpg

Posted by dirk tinck on 14/05/2020 21:20:39:

More testing !Made a little video of the seat being ejected.Just need to find the right way to fold the shute so it comes out still folded so it doesn't get strangled up in the tail surfaces ...sad**LINK**

You will have to tie some string to that spring or you are going to lose it.

Hi guy's ,no progress i'm afraid due to the restart and maintaining my daily business.

This covid thing has left us with nothing but rules and restrictions. The two months of lockdown has the work stacked up so much that the shop is filled with cars leaving me no free hours to work on the Sabre.

I truly hope it's only for a short time.

I'm pleased that the mass build weekend is delayed so i can finish the sabre in time.

Cheers,Dirk.

I hope you find a workable median between recommended protocol and operational output Dirk - you will soon be up and running I'm sure and rest assured - there is plenty of time to finish the Sabre before the rescheduled dates.

Good to see your work is stacked up and awaiting your return - not so still in the civil aerospace business with so many planes still grounded and airlines unsure how to recommence flight ops!

Stay strong and well Dirk, best wishes!

Try not to worry too much about it, Dirk.

Your workshop operations just must have the priority now, the rest will come later.

As Phil wrote, you will have plenty of time for the Sabre later on.

Keep up the mojo and stay safe, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the encouraging posts gents, i needed that.

I found a few hours to get the ailerons ready to glue in the wing. First i painted the leading edges and sides because i hate it when you see these area's unpainted when the ailerons are deflected. When dry i glued them in with 30 min.epoxy. Checking the throw, one side needed a little sanding with the sandpaper between wing and aileron. (Rough side facing wing).

20200528_225130.jpg

20200530_231754.jpg

X

Now that the wing and fuse are ready to paint, there's no exuse anymore, i have to tackle the painted scallops on the fuse.

I placed a transparent paper on the fuse and drew the desired sceme on it. I need to get this on low tack masking film and cut it out.

Anyone has a better option ??

20200601_154858.jpg

Dirk, I think I would be tempted to cut a stiffer template for the main central 'swoosh' and the associated half rads only out of thin acetate or plasticard, using your top and bottom gun ports as a datum to overlay accurately each side.  These could be pinned in position at the front and back to enable you to trace around. The upper and lower radii can then be drawn in from that with simpler references to either the canopy frame at the top and the wing dowel face at the bottom.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/06/2020 16:05:50

Not sure i got this...either way,the curves are too tight to follow with fine line tape.

I think i'll cut out the transparent paper and trace around it on masking film...

For the oposite side i just need to turn it around and again trace around it on film.

Dirk

What I would do is cover the area to be masked with strips of Tamiya 40mm wide masking tape, overlapped slightly at the edges ( a bit like planking!). Then draw the pattern straight onto the masking tape with a soft pencil. Use a fresh and very sharp scalpel to directly cut the masking tape on the model. If you practise off the model first you will find it is possible to only cut the masking tape and not the model!

This method is faster than the one you were thinking about and because the masking tape is in 40mm wide strips you can get it follow compound curves more easily than a sheet of masking film in my experience.

I used this method to mask and paint the camo on my Hurricane, Blenheim and Hawk which you will have seen before and I think it worked well.

Link to the Tamiya tape:

**LINK**

20190407_211105.jpg

814473.jpg

pict2056.jpg