Sabre made in Belgium

very impressive work with the airbrakes Dirk!!! Real engineering skills!! Hope you dont mind, but I'm hoping to use some of your ideas with the airbrakes on the MIG15 drawings!!!

Not sure if its the photo angle, but looks like you have fairings parallel to fin?? is this intentional??

Great progress again, Dirk.

Your blog makes me wonder if I should be deciding for a rudder version or not... ?

Besides, the Sabre Dog fin & rudder are totally different to a 'standard' one, with the rudder (and fin) being taller but also narrower chordwise.

It's definitely a bit strange that we are communicating here in English instead of just Flemish, isn't it? ... wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi Gordon ,great you like the brake system !

As for the fairings , you mean seen from above ?I feel some doubt coming up !disgust

Hi Chris ! To rudder ,or not to rudder... seems to be we all have doubts...For me, the extra weight cutted the knot ! I'm tired of all the overweight planes !

As for the communication ,in dutch not a soul would know what we mean !!Exept maybe Monz Lyons ??(SA)smile d

Greetz , Dirk

I saved the hardest part of the fuse for last...The canope ! There's a lot that can go wrong here so i'm not going to rush this !

After looking to canope pics for a few hours i finally started cutting it out of the frame.It's a little smaller than the plan shows so it's a little searching for the right position.

Then made up the front fairing out of a few parts of balsa.

I'll be making a frame in epoxy sinds there are no panel lines on the plasticsad.Therefor i'm going to try and ''mould it''.

Hopefully it comes out in one piece and un-damaged....See you later !!

Cheers , Dirk20200116_233026.jpg

20200118_232630.jpg20200118_232612.jpgGood evening all,

I got the canope adapted to the fuse by placing a fillet along the inside to have some glueing surface.

To give the canope some scale effect ,we certainly need a frame to cover it. You can do this with tape or just paint them on . I'm going to try and make a frame in epoxy and glass cloth by moulding the canope. This will give me the perfect shape an the chance to blend it in with the fuse.

I'm going to use a second canopy from a spare kit ,so if something goes wrong in the process ,i don't have to wait for a new one.winkWish me luck,i will need it !!20200118_232612.jpg

Hi Dirk,

I love your idea of the internal fillets to fix the canopy.

I've been pondering about a similar idea regarding the 'framing' of the canopy. I thought about heat shrinking a large bottle to obtain a 'copy', then cutting out the PET to obtain a framing that you can slide over the original Vortex one.

Of course you need to make a plug first...

Cheers

Chris

Excellent. I must admit when I read your previous posts earlier today stating you were using a second canopy that you were simply cutting a frame from that and sliding it over the first - this is a much more thorough job (as always!) Imprressive stuff!

I hope that canopy pops out of the glass cloth with the wax and pva - we eagerly await the next installment!

Thanks Steve , it's much appreciated !blush

As much as i love your comment,i don't think of me that way. I see a lot of builders here that i admire.Specially because real modellers are a dying breed.

I must say that this mass build ''competition'' brings out the best in me.Besides that ,In my daily job i have to constantly search for the best solution for various problems for the best price , not very different from building flying planes !!

Cheers ,Dirk.

Just a quick update about the canope he's out and perfectly usable !! Pics tomorrow ! Good night all.moon

Great blog and fine building Dirk. I know now why you win(g) prizes and I don't. Something I just have to accept.

Anyway, I am just about to print off my decals on my vinyl cutter, and it would make sense, as we are doing the same model to do a set for you too. If you pm me your address I can post them to you - cost you a beer of course.

If you accept my offer then please let me know what registration numbers you are going for. Mine are

420 on the side of the fuselage and 19685 - here is a screen shot

So if you can let me know what extra decals you need and what numbers you want and your address, then, when I print, I can double up

decalsscreenshot.jpg

Edited By Peter Garsden on 23/01/2020 14:43:15