Cambrian ME109 Funfighter electric build

After threatening to do a build thread on this for several weeks i have finally pulled the lid off the box and got my glue out! Having been flying r/c planes for about 25 years i am ashamed to say that in that time i have only fully completed one build. That was about 20 years ago and it was a Galaxy Models Piccolo, without wishing to blow my own trumpet, i think i made a nice job of it and it flew very well. Over the years several more have been started but not finished and sold on, a Flair Cub and Priory Models Sillhouette built but i.c engine and radio gear not fitted as i had then decided to go electric. As a teenager a number of stick and tissue rubber powered and gliders, mostly KeilKraft were completed and flown but that was way back when! In recent times a couple of printed wood kits were started with an eye to radio conversion but the time involved cutting all the ribs ( 50" biplane) and sanding to shape saw it 70% built then passed onto a friend. Due to other hobbies which take some of my time most of my modeling is done converting scale glow planes to electric which i enjoy but the building something of my own thing keeps gnawing away. So here we are, this satisfies several of my modeling likes, something that looks scale, has plenty of choice for a scale colour scheme, is relatively quick to build and should be a hoot to fly. Added bonus is it will go in the car in one piece, just add the battery and fly. yes

Here is a link to the kit:-

https://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2810263-CA07-Funfighter-ME109-Electric-Kit.html

Here is a picture of the box contents, quite impressed with what you get and a lot of it is bagged up with header cards.

001.jpg

Decisions to be made on whether to cover with a shrink film, prymol then paint or to go with tissue and Easy dope then paint?

Last night a gentle start was made, the leading and trailing edges were glued on with my glue of choice (Aliphatic), and the tip trailing edges, inner and outer were cut to shape. The inner one has to have a groove made in it to accept the aileron torque rod, this was easily done with some course sandpaper wrapped round the rod. The tube which the rod fits through gets epoxied into this groove so the rod can rotate freely.

008.jpg

005.jpg

Tonight i will be assembling the laser cut electric motor mount and adding the wingtips, bending the torque rods to the required size and starting on the fuselage sides.............Martin

Edited By martin collins 1 on 14/08/2019 11:16:00

Ok, i thought around 3 lbs was what i was looking for.

Tonight`s progress has been glueing the 5x5 strip peices to the fuselage sides having marked the former positions and adding the three front formers to one fuselage side, the front one was put on using 15 min epoxy as it will be taking the motor box. The wings have had the tips and outer trailing edges added and elevator had it`s 5x5 pieces added as well, the rudder pieces were also joined. The aileron torque rods have been cut to size and bent to fit into the ailerons. First Dufas moment occurred here, despite reading the instructions numerous times where it clearly states fit the outer tubes to the torque rods BEFORE bending i forgot on the first one...DOH! Bend it straight, fit the tube and re bend embarrassed

20190814_211315.jpg

20190814_205258.jpg

20190814_205434.jpg

Tomorrow the two fuselage sides will be glued together, the wing inner trailing edge carrying the torque tubes will be attached and the leading/ trailing edge and tips will be sanded to shape plus i will bend the elevator joiner wire to shape and fit.

Edited By martin collins 1 on 14/08/2019 22:06:16

Edited By martin collins 1 on 14/08/2019 22:12:18

Edited By martin collins 1 on 14/08/2019 22:13:21

Got a bit more done, hoping to do some more tomorrow, the shaped aileron torque rods in their tubes were epoxied into the grooved trailing edge pieces and these were epoxied in place making sure none of the glue got on the rods themselves! The first wing has been sanded to shape, i had the idea to use the tissue paper that the kit was wrapped in to make a sanding template off the plan for the wingtip shape. This was cut out and then drawn on the wood, worked well.........

002.jpg

003.jpg

The fuselage sides have been joined using some set squares to make sure everything was lined up, the front firewall is sticking out at the bottom very slightly at the bottom on one side. If i had pulled the side down to line it up i found it would twist the fuselage along it`s length, everything is square as it is now. I figured it was better to adjust that small part at the front rather than deal with a twisted fuselage. The fuselage is now on my SLEC fuselage jig, i will use this to make sure the rear gets pulled in evenly.

003.jpg

Firewall can be seen slightly low on this side in the above picture.

004.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 17/08/2019 18:11:44

Edited By martin collins 1 on 17/08/2019 18:13:49

Edited By martin collins 1 on 17/08/2019 18:15:34

Really enjoying putting it together, still undecided on which covering to go with, i have a couple of colour schemes in mind. Even playing with the idea of modifying the nose to do a Battle of Britain movie messerschmidt / Buchon HA112, one of my favourite films smiley

Some good 109 schemes here:- **LINK**

And Battle of Britain film Buchon`s here:- http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/406/24_o/0#2

Edited By martin collins 1 on 18/08/2019 10:25:26

Nicely finished, may be tempted to build another with a different scheme from the first, next projects though will be a Funfighter KI 61, again loads of great schemes to paint in and a Cambrian Cassutt racer, both electric, picking both kits up from the manufacturers at the NATS next weekend..........

Will do build threads on both.

Edited By martin collins 1 on 18/08/2019 14:25:31

Tonights update, rear `spine` added, the rest of the front formers, servo mounts and battery hatch top added, front nose blocks glued to form the cowl which will be sanded to shape once on the fuselage. The wing halves have been joined using 15 min epoxy and the ailerons have been cut to length and been drilled and grooved to take the torque rods, they are not glued at this point. Tomorrow hopefully i can glue on the fibreglass wing joint bandage again using 15 min epoxy, i may also start the fuselage side sheeting and ad the rear control snakes.

001 (4).jpg

002 (2).jpg

005.jpg

004 (2).jpg

It is going together very easily and the illustrated instruction booklet is good, i can recommend one of these kits if anyone is thinking about building one. Will be visiting the Cambrian stand at the NATS and hopefully pick up another kit.

Edited By martin collins 1 on 22/08/2019 21:55:32

"Was going to use 15 min epoxy on the centre wing bandage but the instructions mention using PVA, i can see this would sand better and maybe soak into the bandage better, anyone used PVA "

I use vanilla PVA for wing bandages. Never a problem. Much cleaner & cheaper than epoxy. I don't use thick bandages actually, I use glass surface tissue / cloth, the really lightweight stuff, and do 3 layers - one wide, one medium, and one narrow. Credit card or similar is the weapon of choice to spread PVA over the bandage. Several coats after the cloth is on will fill the weave quite well. If you use multiple layers of thin cloth it does not need blending or sanding at the edge.

Only thing to remember with PVA is the water content, so do it somewhere warm where it will dry relatively quickly.

Edited By Nigel R on 29/08/2019 13:31:47