Even Later In The Day

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I am coming to the end of this build, Ballerina WILL be finished in about 10 days time for our clubs annual build competition. Very little to do now. I will post pics of the completed model.

I have a question though about the undercarriage.

I managed to bash the piano wire into shape and they fit in to the wing nicely. However, I was unable to give the wire the rake as shown in the plan, they are very slightly forward. Thus the wheels will probably be approx 1" aft of the plan position. Will this be a significant problem when I come to maiden Ballerina?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My version of Ballerina is almost finished, photos tomoz. The only thing that I am not happy about is the windsheild. I made a very basic one but have not glued it in yet. I only have tomorrow night to get it right/better. This is where experience would have been an advantage, this is only my third build.

Any advice will be gratefully received.........this is directed at you Peter as I'm sure your the only one following this thread lol.

Cheers

Well should not worry too much about the windshield.

If you go and look at pictures of Turbulents and similar single seat open cockpit aircraft you will see that many of them just have a curved piece of Perspex for a wind screen.

Have a look at these. Some have a rim around the top of the screen but many are just the plain screen

**LINK**

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/03/2020 19:14:18

Its Finished.

Comes in at an all up weight of just over 2KG but I am going to have to add a fair chunk of lead up front to balance her correctly.

Overall, I enjoyed this build, learned a lot and produced a good looking model. Can't wait for the maiden.

Thanks for the help along the way Peter.

Just ordered the laser cut pack from Sarik, Liked the look of the Ballerina when the plan came out in RCME. Have a lot of balsa in the shed, so hope to reduce my stock a bit. Wonder how long it will take to arrive down under. Should be ready for the Southern Summer if we get one this year?

Hope mine turns out as good as yours Mark.

Posted by Mark Ellis 1 on 02/03/2020 18:59:14:

Its Finished.

Comes in at an all up weight of just over 2KG but I am going to have to add a fair chunk of lead up front to balance her correctly.

Overall, I enjoyed this build, learned a lot and produced a good looking model. Can't wait for the maiden.

I am alwys glad to help.It is a pleasure to see another Ballerina

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/03/2020 21:02:51:
Posted by Mark Ellis 1 on 02/03/2020 18:59:14:

Its Finished.

I am alwys glad to help.It is a pleasure to see another Ballerina

For the last few months, all I can hear ringing in my ear is Nat King Cole's version of "Ballerina". I can imagine flying Ballerina with this music playing in the background!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, Just when you thought it was all over lol!

So I finished the build in March this year (2020) but then the lockdown happened and our club field closed, I never got the chance to fly Ballerina.

Then today, following the government and BMFA guidelines and beautiful weather, i grabbed the opportunity to maiden her. I always fly my own aircraft for the maiden.

I worked hard to get the C of G right and I thought I had, nose down tendency when fingers placed on main spar position, model upside down with battery installed.

So I took off.........fairly quick in to the air but straight away I new it it was too pitchy, very hard to control when ever I applied elevator. I gained height and levelled off and found with no pitch inputs she flew very nicely, quite nippy too.

I tried to do a few practice approaches, wanted to get her on the ground as soon as possible but it was clear that my work was cut out to avoid taking home a bag of splinters.

Anyway, did my best, suppose the lack of flying over the last few months didnt help. Ballerina's wheels hit the ground pretty hard and she bounced back up in the air about 6 feet. By this time she had stopped flying, fell to the ground and cartwheeled a few feet.

Happily though, the only casualty seems to be the prop and maybe the undercarriage a bit bent........ good job it wasn't a not so cheap ARTF!

My Ballerina has an AUW of 2.2KG, I think i probably put about 200g of lead in the nose to balance her. I have set all the controll throws to the initial recommended settings.

Does anybody have any views on this? my first thoughts are with the Centre of gravity and I need to invest in a proper jig to ensure I have this right. What else could it be?

I am keen to get this sorted cos I'm sure when it's right she will be a great plane to fly.

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Peter Miller on 25/05/2020 21:05:13:

Hi Mark

The CG should be at 25% of the chord back from the leading edge.

Thanks Peter.

I have balanced it "approximately" on the main spar, I assumed that was where it should be as that seems normal with most models. I say approximately as I just use the fingertip method which I'm guessing isn't all that accurate. Looking at the plans again, 25% of the chord from the L.E, would put it about 1 centimeter forward of where it is now. I have read the dire consequences of an aft CofG today, would that much difference make it so unstable in pitch?

The symptoms certainly suggest an aft CofG

BTW, I checked my elevatorthrows, function, end points and expo but all seem to be OK.

Think its time to invest (or make) a proper CofG jig.

Cheers

Mark