New Poll - sticky situations.....

Even I'm not using a fingertip to start off the setting process, I'm quite adept at puling my digits off a model's structure when the CA runs off unexpectedly.

The most entertaining "accident" was when I'd been doing some modelling indoors and picked up a large handful of tools to take them back out to my workshop. Amongst the odds and end was a bottle of thin cyano and the inevitable happened...things started getting hot and I ended up like a budget version of Edward Scissorhands. 10 minutes of soaking in warm soapy water later, the tools were separated from my fingers and the finger picking could commence.

Some time ago I would have answered "every time". And, it beats me why there was a need to market "accelerator" for this stuff.

Anyway. I recently discovered that 0.5mm ID PTFE tube is available on Ebay for a couple of pounds a metre.

My fingers are much happier as a result.

The first Cyano I came across was something called Eastman 910 (at least I assume it was Cyano) when it was used by the Instrument dept at RR to stick strain gauges on engine components under test on either rigs or actual engines. They used to fail as the test progressed so it wasn't perfect but it was probably the best available.

That was in the 1970s/80s. I don't know what they use now - I've been retired 2 years yes

Geoff

Just think what the fumes are doing to your sinuses and internal parts. I have to wear a half face respirator to prevent my sinuses from congealing to a point I can't breath through my nose. Just a whiff will set them off. Its not an allergy it is the glue vapours literally setting my mucous membranes to semi-solid material.

I use the stuff very sparingly. And I also have a fan blowing any fumes away from my face as the glue will also react in a minor way with my eyes as well.

After an 'attack' three days later my breathing will be back to normal.

I find thin cyano to be particularly dangerous, the way it runs around joints and often seems to find my fingers.

Makes 'er indoors laugh sometimes when I go indoors with a section of model firmly attached to my fingers, or two fingers stuck together. I've found the thing is not to panic, and if it's something like a balsa model that can't be put under a warm tap, the sweat from your fingers and a bit of pulling, or the edge of a blunt knife seems to naturally loosen things up after about 20 minutes.

I used to work in the water industry as a operations manager , I used to get phoned at home a lot .One evening I was in my workshop building a manatilla when the phone went (I had an extension in the workshop) .Unfortunatly the aileron I was working on got stuck to my right index finger .The caller was a somewhat irate local councillor who went on and an for about half an hour while the aileron hung off my finger .I started to use latex gloves after this

Alan

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/09/2019 20:22:17:

The first Cyano I came across was something called Eastman 910 (at least I assume it was Cyano) when it was used by the Instrument dept at RR to stick strain gauges on engine components under test on either rigs or actual engines. They used to fail as the test progressed so it wasn't perfect but it was probably the best available.

That was in the 1970s/80s. I don't know what they use now - I've been retired 2 years yes

Geoff

You've reminded me Geoff, I think I first came across a similar adhesive when I was working at Imperial College, London for a while, also in the mid 70s. The firm that I worked for engaged IC to do some very expensive strain gauge investigations on experimental light weight diecastings and I had to build up some very complex machinery PDQ after the strain gauges had been glued on so the equipment could be run and tested - it was very time dependent for some reason IIRC and quite a responsibility for a young technician in my early twenties. Happy days.

First superglue I ever encountered was a tiny phial of reddish Loctite that came with the very complex MRRC 4 wheel drive 1/32nd scale slot car kits of the Marcedes W 154 and that was well back in the 60s. It was used on all the tiny screws to stop them vibrating apart when racing. Find one in its box today and you could buy a new Laser with the proceeds.

Martin

My bad experience was due to a poorly fitting capillary tube into the top of a large bottle of CA. I made the balsa joint OK but after, when I turned the bottle the right way up, escaped CA ran down the side of the bottle and glued 2 fingers and thumb to the bottle. Quite difficult to remove as I couldn't turn my hand over or the bottle would have emptied, I hadn't got any de-bonder or acetone either.....

I kept me quiet with a sharp knife for about an hour

Could you not just twist your fingers a little? CA has no strength in torsion, whatever, just tension and then it's good enough to repair a Hoover belt! My Unimat lathe drive belt was repaired in 3 places as I was too tight to buy a new one and it ran perfectly!

Martin

Hmm.... Didn't realise torsion would help release. It would have helped release the thumb but the 2 fingers were stuck together as well as to the bottle so difficult to move. Did manage to get free without any blood spilt but I had a few sore patches.....

Fortunately it was my right hand and I'm left handed, otherwise it would have been more difficult wielding the knife.

I'm more careful now if I need to use CA, preferring Aliphatic where possible

It's quite surprising how thick skin is on your finger tips if you've got very dry skin like me!

It was all a few years ago and I now have a bottle of de-bonder, I've never had to use it (yet) and to be frank I'm not sure where it is and if I could find it now dont know

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...