Well this could get interesting

FlyinFlynn

This week an Extinction Rebellion splinter group, Heathrow Pause, announced it plans to ground planes at Heathrow next month with a drone protest.

Holidaymakers and travellers face days of chaos as groups says it has over 50 activists ready to fly toy drones in the restricted zone from September 13.

Heathrow Pause say the protest is designed so that no planes will be endangered but police have warned activists could face life jail sentences if found guilty of terror offences.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pop-band-recorded-song-greta-221505442.html

There are several ways to protest at the new Drone Law, and this isn't it!disgust

Bet none of them will register and probably make the bill more "urgent" and to get these pesky "drone operators" back inside in front of the X-box and open to influence from media sources and not take up a productive hobby such as ours...

They are threatening to fly “toy drones” i.e. under 250g at head height. In that case no laws will be broken and more importantly no flights need to be restricted. Can’t see what these terrorists hope to achieve by that, if it ain’t illegal there’ll be no arrests. The risk is that the fanatics will realise they are wasting their time and escalate the situation with larger drones. I hope the police rare on top of this.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/09/2019 11:29:34:

There are several ways to protest at the new Drone Law, and this isn't it!disgust

I'm pretty sure the Extinction Rebellion mob aren't protesting the new drone laws Paul.....

Neil....I wonder where you got the 'above head height' limitation on the restrictions of flying a uav in a no-fly zone? as far as I am aware (in my albeit limited knowledge on the subject) a flight is a flight with no altitude limits.

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 02/09/2019 12:32:21

Posted by Steve J on 02/09/2019 12:28:51:
Posted by Neil James on 02/09/2019 12:25:48:

They are threatening to fly “toy drones” i.e. under 250g at head height.

There is no weight limit in article 94A

Oops! Different regs in the IOM, lower limit within FRZ is 250g.

In that case they have no excuse whatsoever, send in the SPG and arrest them immediately. I have no sympathy whatsoever for their arrogant and obstructive behaviour. I just hope that the ones that get to court receive a suitably strong punishment.

Edited By Neil James on 02/09/2019 12:56:09

It looks like the protesters are using the airport's own previous behaviour as a weapon, i.e. see drone, close airport. The protester line seems to be, we are going to show you drones (in the plural, inside the FRZ but not directly over the airfield), go on then, deploy your forces and shut the airport.

I can't predict what this means for those of us permitted to fly (fixed wing) inside the FRZ, but it certainly doesn't help.

Well if Gatwick is anything to go by, why bother actually flying a drone, just get several of your members to phone up and say they have spotted a drone within the FRZ, job done. If you want to get a couple of pilots in the act too, a couple of helium balloons should do the job.

I wonder if there are going to be laws against drone reporting hoaxs brought in anytime soon.....................

Posted by Steve J on 02/09/2019 14:18:00:

.... As I understand it, both Gatwick and Heathrow currently have counter-UAS systems in place and have had all year to sort out their procedures.....

I have witnessed one occassion and had a report from a club member of a second time when the police attended the park where our flying site lies, within the Heathrow FRZ. I inferred from what was said that the authorities have some sort of 2.4GHz network sniffer. Whether they can only decode traffic from specific brands I don't know. I imagine other tools are at their disposal too.

They certainly have moved beyond visual sighting to 'detecting' the presence of a 'drone'. This should give position and even make/model data where drones are being flown manually using RC. Catching people is another matter. Expanding the FRZ means there is now a very large area to be policed.

Then there are drones flying autonomously. No RC signal to detect. Radar? I would love to try out the detection toolkit!

To be convinced about any future drone incidents at Heathrow/Gatwick I am expecting details, not just vague reports.

There is a radar system, called Tarsier, that will detect debris such as nuts and bolts on runways, that is in service at Heathrow and many other airports. Helps to avoid closing the runway for a ground vehicle to do an inspection. The radar will not only identify an object that has just fallen off an arriving or departing aircraft but will also pinpoint its location. Not sure whether this system can find drones but I'm sure the boffins could get it to do that as well.