Well this could get interesting

FlyinFlynn

Posted by FlyinFlynn on 03/09/2019 09:22:27:

It's started!...look at all those 'drones' on the grass!...where are the coppers? devil

Back in the 50s they had a lot of problems with seagulls on St Mawgan airfield so they installed loud speakers which broadcast the distress calls of seagulls.

After a very short time the seagulls would perch on top of the speakers and when the calls were broadcast the seagull could be seen looking into the speakers and apparently saying "What are you doing in there you stupid gull!!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

on Tuesday on Victoria Derbyshire show (I think) there were two of these so called "protestors" sitting smirking whilst miss Derbyshire interviewed them along with passengers who should be flying out this weekend, I could only stand 5 mins before the two protestors got boring, one even stated that she could not actually fly a "drone" but was going to learn before Friday hmmm she was very good at droning on,

I decided a visit to the shed was in order before I threw something at my new telly box

chris

Posted by Martin_K on 13/09/2019 14:17:11:

After all the discussion about enlarged airport FRZ's and changes to the ANO it is interesting that the authorities have used powers related to anti social behaviour, declaring a "Dispersal Zone" around Heathrow, which is geographically different to the FRZ.

Perhaps that allows the culprits to be arrested BEFORE they take their drones off?

P.S. I saw a video on BBC news this morning which appeared to show protesters struggling to get their drone's airborne. Perhaps the authorities are using some form of jamming or maybe the drones had geo fencing firmware installed?

Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 15:13:02:
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 14:27:58:

right to public protest.

That should have been 'right to peaceful protest'.

Edited By Steve J on 13/09/2019 15:13:30

Seems like they were about to break the law and had said they intended to do so. I think that puts their right to peaceful protest in context. You cannot protest peacefully while breaking a law designed to ensure the safety of the general public. Even if they say they will fly them at 5 ft it is still breaking the law as I understand it.

Posted by kc on 13/09/2019 15:45:03:

How far out does this jamming work and will it affect legal flying at normal flying sites? Forecast is beautiful flying weather tomorrow, so will we see a spate of unusual crashes at club sites? Maybe 35Mhz might be safer!

Jamming is not indiscriminate KC, it follows a sighting 1st

Like " friend or foe", with optics on eyes

This is backed up and confirmed by radar

The jamming is focused, and very directional, and pointed at the target

Any success relies on pretty much line of sight, as we observe flying

Specifications of these devices used by authorities are secret

But if there is any assurance, it will be in the fact that the disruption is focused into a target area.

Martin, Geo fencing forms a line of disruption

Jammers can form a ring of defence, but not at airports, as that is to risky

Their kit is very directional

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/09/2019 17:01:51

So although the specifications are secret, you can confirm that the jamming is focused and targeted?

I don't seriously suspect a connection but it just so happened that on the Thursday afternoon 3 weeks ago when a jamming trial was taking place on the other side of the country in Herefordshire, we had 3 unexplained losses of control at our club. This is an unusual occurrence - most crashes can realistically be put down to human factors.

It might be interesting to collate experiences of that day just on the off chance that there could be some connection - if so, it is a very worrying (if unlikely) situation!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/09/2019 16:48:04

Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 16:02:53:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 13/09/2019 15:23:30:

Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 15:13:02:

That should have been 'right to peaceful protest'.

Seems like they were about to break the law and had said they intended to do so. I think that puts their right to peaceful protest in context. You cannot protest peacefully while breaking a law designed to ensure the safety of the general public. Even if they say they will fly them at 5 ft it is still breaking the law as I understand it.

I would much prefer that they had been done for flying at 5ft in the FRZ.

Now we have a situation where human rights lawyers will argue that they were denied their right to peaceful protest which makes them the victims.

Steve

Trouble is, extinction begets pause, who are allowed to protest, on the basis that they go to 5 feet, and they are either incompetent, and forget where the throttle is, or a new splinter group, invented 30 seconds ago, calling themselves Heathrow Stop, and get on with it. Then the poor copper in charge gets to write long reports on short bits of paper.

A bit of a roundup of the news stories following the planned protest at Heathrow....

Mr Brown, who is registered blind, simply held the drone above his head inside the exclusion zone and said he would be handing himself to police for arrest. bbc news

Despite sharing many of the same coordinators, the Extinction Rebellion group - from which Heathrow Pause is an offshoot - has said it is not backing the demonstration - although it does not condemn it. bbc news

The Met Police has said it will "do everything in its power to stop and prevent any such criminal activity" and that the consequences of flying the drones are "potentially very severe". But Ms Dell disputes this, saying she believes it is "perfectly safe" to fly the toy drones at head height, as planned, although she has no formal experience of piloting one. BBC news

The protest group said it had attempted three drone flights on Friday, with at least one successful, and 11 activists had been arrested, including former paralympian James Brown. sky news

So....not so interesting after all.... 11 arrests, six morons, two dickheads, two idiots and a nutter.....sums it up quite succinctly.