Mark's Peggy Sue 2 Build

Mark Elen

Hi James,

There are various ways of doing this. Take it to the local print shop and ask them to scan it and print it in reverse is one way that I have used to good effect, the problem with this though, is if their machinery changes the scaling, it all goes wrong. (When I did it this way, I got them to print the whole plan, fus, Wing right way and wing flipped, to negate any scaling errors)
What I did with PS, if you look on page 3 of this build, was to trace out the whole Wing plan, then flip the tracing and build from that. It is an hour or twos work and you need to be precise with it, though, to be honest, I spent more time sharpening the pencil than drawing with it, but it is do-able.

Im sure others have their own ways of doing this.

Cheers

Mark

Hi James,

I forgot to say, if you go down the tracing route, greaseproof paper will work - it’s what I used on the first attempt, but proper tracing paper is much better, I got a ten meter roll from e-bay for a few quid, it’s much nicer to work with.

Make sure you pin it down over the plan and take your time.

I then used a long straight edge and pinned both the original plan and my tracing to the building board and built the whole wing as one piece. If your board isn’t long enough, you will have to build one half at a time.

Cheers

Mark

Another dodge is to wet the area with paraffin which makes it transparent. The paraffin dries after a time and the plan goes back to normal. A bit smelly and paraffin is not so easy to get these days.

The reverse or mirror print is the best answer and I have never had any problems with it.

If tracing the plan you only need one side of each spar and rib.

I always take my plans to the printshop, there is a commercial printers near me with large format printers. I pay about £3 a sheet. To be clear you should ask for a mirror image of the wing or you may end up with a black image with white lines and writing, for that is what a reverse image is. You could also get the plan slightly enlarged while you are at it if that is your want, although not useful if you are buying the CNC parts. I prefer to keep the original plan pristine so that I can refer to it, as I normally cut up the copies into the component parts.

When tracing a wing drawing you only need to do the ribs and spars etc. You dont need to do much detail and there is little need to do the tips. You can always refer to the printed plan for all the minor details. Use a sharp 2B pencil. One drawing can do both wing halves and saves messing up the original drawing. Lay it on a white paper background for visibility when building.

Instead of tracing you could always mark the rib positions from drawing onto a balsa stick ( 1/4 sq spar ) and then draw onto white paper or transfer straight onto plasterboard etc then draw the ribs at right angles.  Spar positions are spaced using a wing rib.   I did that recently for a wing and it took about half an hour onto white paper because I did both wing halves TE to TE so all the rib positions were same ( opposite each other - just a matter of drawing the ribs right across both wing halves using a Tee square.  The Tee sq could use the straight edge of a piece of plasterboard etc )

For tracing I used to use greaseproof paper sold by Tesco or Sainsbury in a 20m roll for just over a pound. Recent stocks seem to be almost opaque and brown, so of little use. as you don't find out until you open the packet. If anybody has found a better type -let us all know.

Edited By kc on 02/11/2020 19:21:29

Edited By kc on 02/11/2020 19:25:51

Edited By kc on 02/11/2020 19:28:39

Edited By kc on 02/11/2020 19:31:45

• 2 weeks later...

It was 1/16th ply on the Rans Chaos. If you use thicker ply it would work OK but the central cores of the ply are more obvious and are difficult to fill the voids in the wood. So 1/16 Birch ply is the stuff or it could be 2 layers of 1/32 if that is all you have in stock.

• 1 month later...

14SWG ( about 2mm ) piano wire is used on other models and should work.

It's quite important to ensure the joiner does not become loose in any model. Accurate hole drilling is important. Some of my models have a tiny patch of 1/64 or 1/32 ply over the balsa at that point and also a the horn mounting. The edges of the ply are sanded to a chamfer before fitting and are almost invisible. Actually I hate wire joiners and and I think a 1/4 sq spruce joiner is nicer if glued properly. ( needs bigger hole in rudder though and doesnt suit all designs)

It might be too late now but I find it easier to fit the joiner ( either wire or spruce ) when the elevator balsa  is still in one piece, then cut the V shape out when glue has dried.

Edited By kc on 22/12/2020 17:26:38

I'm with kc, I like spruce too join elevator halves. Makes a good control horn mount too.

Actually my new favourite is a sandwich of 1/16 ply with hard balsa in the centre.

2 or 2.5mm piano wire will work perfectly well. Get a decent length prong going in to the elevator. And yes accurate holes are a must. Epoxy to fix the wire in place .

Edited By Nigel R on 23/12/2020 07:13:13

• 1 month later...

Build one completely. Build thye second up to skinning the toppof the leading edge. Join with the second root rim and then complete the sheeting.

I hope that is clear.

Because there is no dihedral you will find it much simpler as the whole thing can be kept flat on the board.The completed wing only needs to be on far enough tobe stable

Picutres here

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129216

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/02/2021 16:47:16