XFJ-2 Fury: F-86E Modified for Carrier Operations

FJ-2 NMNA.port fore.jpg

At the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola: An FJ-2 painted in spurious markings to represent XFJ-2 Bu 133755. Note the 4x20mm cannon installation, as contrasted with the F-86 Sabre's 6x.50 calibre.

A small detail, also: the XFJ-2 had the same nose inlet shape as the F-86E/F, whereas the production FJ-2 on view here has a just slightly deeper nose.

The follow-on FJ-3 had a yet deeper nose shape, and the later FJ-4 was a different airplane altogether, only superficially resembling its predecessors.

FJ-2 on display as XFJ-2 at NMNA Pensacola.jpg

FJ-2 NMNA.aft fuselage.jpg

ABOVE: Pax River! Home of the NATC -- and TPS, the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School.

BELOW: Watch that MiG !!! Note the clean lines of the Sabre/Fury family from aft, and the gaping maw of what looks to be an FJ-4 in the foreground.

FJ-2 NMNA.from aft.jpg

Edited By John H. Rood on 16/09/2019 05:15:04

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

13eb5c72-7ac7-4155-af07-11605da29e15.jpeg

So, fishing sinkers I have. This is a very weighty topic. enlightened

Thanks, Peter for the encouragement. I was hoping to hitch a ride inside a stray Antonov PSS model of ungodly size that might be wandering around the North Atlantic, but indeed a B-52 is a high altitude bird that can keep the champagne cold. Manifest destiny!

Thanks, Phil! And thanks for hosting this Mass Build 2020. To be sure, I've by no means quit on building the 2016 A-4 Skyhawk, but I was unable to resist this 2020 Mass Build. The design looks gorgeous and the kit is fantastic.

So now I've completed the wing jig --plenty of gussets and a little Dawn Patrol action today with an all-sheet balsa catapult launch USAF Sabre I created many years ago, long before all you kiddos were even hatched:

6.jpeg

And speaking of hatched, not many people are aware that, early-on, the XFJ-2 Fury tried out a fairly unusual internal flotation system for those unscheduled ocean landings. With the scale judges looking on, I've developed a faithful rendering of that very installation:

7.jpeg

This system has already proved helpful in explaining to the wife why I REALLY NEEDED TO BUY THIS KIT!

• 2 weeks later...

starBright and early this morning, Commander Garsden's mention of fishing trawlers induced the wife (and I, by default) to mangle her brave new hot plate holder / trivet / Sabre wing jig as seen here: Jig Smash.jpeg

I think she was figuring the FJ-2 Fury's unique wing fold feature ought be introduced right here so as to free up stowage space aboard the trawlers.

Fold.jpg

I'm not sure she was right about it, but in the end, the PSS scale judges will ascertain the soggy, briney truth. star

FJ-2.wing.fold.sketch.jpg

Toward the goal of keeping all the glue joints on the inside, here are the matched sets of wing skin outsides:Outsides.jpeg

Here are the insides, folding them over and gluing the seam with Titebond, then laying it down to dry:Insides.jpeg

I'm building these skins on a very heavy and flat glass surface. After taking these pics I glued up the other three skins as well, and adding books on top as weights so they'll all hopefully dry nice and flat. Next is to mark the ribs and spars on the insides.

Insides.2.jpeg

Edited By John H. Rood on 20/11/2019 00:00:12

Rough shape achieved. The Sabre nose shape is complex, and my main thing here was to utilize G&M's quadrants and stay with them. I did everything so far with just a sanding block and 60 grit and then 100 grit.   I don't like sanding with loud power tools;   I enjoy the quiet of doing it all by hand where possible.  Also later on I wrapped the sandpaper around a dowel to do internal bits, tight spots.

Rough.3.jpeg

The quality of design in G&M's three-layer lamination enabled me to do all this basic shaping with just the quadrants, layers, and the plan views, but without consulting photo/artwork references.

Rough.2.jpeg

However, near the session's end tonight I got a bit overenthusiastic with the 60 grit and took off a bit too much on the leading edge of each side (the area just above my thumb in the photos); this happened because I did not check back often enough with G&M's accurate side elevations.   Later on I'll need to fix this to get the proper side profile at the lip. And of course there is more shaping to do with the whole thing. But the overall feel is there and it is straight and squared-up -- and hopefully it will come out true to the plan specs.

Edited By John H. Rood on 23/11/2019 02:27:38