SLEC Chipmunk build blog

Tim Flyer

• 4 months later...

Maiden flight was today . Winds were light and from the NW but I was keen to give the plane a go as the field was very quiet giving me time to concentrate on checks etc.

Well I’m pleased I did . The plane taxied well and took off beautifully with more than ample power from the laser 180 . It was very very smooth in the air despite some gusts. Later in the flight I did some rolls and a nice big loop which it handles just like an Acrowot XL. This plane can also fly slowly and seems to have little or no tendency to stall. At very low speeds it lets you know it’s unhappy by a slight wing wobble but a bit of power soon corrects it . With the slight crosswind I had a few passes while dialling in my approach. I found using the flaps helped a lot and it made a very smooth landing. The big Dubro air wheels and significant weight meant it rolled down the runway a long way but it has no tendency to nose over 😊😊😊 . I’m very happy!

5e851ed3-7fbb-4798-bb40-173bf21fc7f1.jpeg

Edited By Tim Flyer on 16/05/2020 20:12:40

• Like 1

Another three flights done now. I’m loving this plane it flies so smoothly! It’s very very stable and noticeably more so than the 60 sized Black Horse ARTF version I used to own. It flies slowly very well and I have just dialled a little down elevator into the flap mix for landing and it’s perfect. The Laser 180 has heaps of extra power and most of my flying is just above half throttle so it’s very relaxed.

Its hard to say anything against it .

Cheers Ash , I must say it’s loads of fun. It’s very practical plus looks good, and no “nosing over” and it taxies well with good ground handling with the Oleos, unlike some similar models .

Thanks David yes I agree . I think the wing design must be good as it flies and lands like a light model. My laser 180 plus the required tail weight made it heavier to but it still seems a “light flying plane “. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 18:44:36

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 18:45:03

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 18:47:21

• 1 year later...