SIG Kougar Refurb and Electric Conversion

Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 08/11/2020 19:43:05:

I am going to experiment with an emulsion base layer of white if i go with thunderbirds but anyone sprayed emulsion on here? It is pretty popular in America but not seen much recently.

What's the thoughts out there?

Gary

Hi Gary,

I've been following your thread with interest - if I could find a kit anywhere, I would like to build one - maybe post covid!!

Anyway, wrt spraying with emulsion (or any other water based paint I think) the trick seems to be to thin it with screen wash or similar - i.e. a mild detergent. I think that this alters the surface tension of the thinned paint and allows it to 'flow' on to the job better.

I used to paint bits of cars for a living using water based base coat, and the 'thinners' was basically demineralised water with a few drops of detergent in it.

hth

Kim

Thanks for the kind comments guys, it has been hard work trying to sort some bits out but it is stating to get there now.

That is interesting Kim, I hadn't picked up from anywhere that thinning with water and detergent is the way to go. I'll give it a go on something and see how it comes out.

Remember when i said i was going to paint it in either Thunderbirds or Blue Angels? I think I've changed my mind......

I was having a flick through the internet looking for inspiration and found these

unnamed (2).jpg

a-29_brasil.jpg

a-29_columbia1.jpg

I think one of these would be smart and like the sharks mouth scheme from a Columbian aircraft. I always find myself being drawn to painting it like a Tucano....

Gary

Kougar is on hold a bit just now until I can get some paint and since most of the shops are closed I am a bit stuck. I decided to get a bit more of the moth minor done to try finish that as well but couldn't help put the kougar on its wing for comparison!

20201118_225426.jpg

I can only get 1 wing on at a time in my garage since it's so big but it's a lovely aircraft.

Gary

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I managed to get a fair bit of the painting done today. My board is full since I am trying to get the moth minor wing finished at the same time so bits everywhere but the sooner I can get one done, the sooner I can clear up and get on with something else. 

It still needs roundels and some insignia but basic paint scheme is done and it looks quite good I think

1918791704_20220222_1645043462.thumb.jpg.dc5c987e053f878a066f020a143e143e.jpg

Once the insignia is on the side, I will get some clear coat on to protect it then finish the motor install and all the workings. I should get another full day at it tomorrow since I am off work so we are nearly there now

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Richard, I was having real difficulty deciding so went to George at 4-Max. The biggest issue was the prop clearance due to the shorter retracts so he suggested a 5055-595 motor and 6S battery and this allows it to spin a 3 blade 11x6 prop. It is a big motor for this plane but a combo of motor and prop should work well I hope.

I got some more work done on the paint today. I cut the paint masks but used a new type of mask material but it seemed good so went for it

20220223_123553.thumb.jpg.40c80f5c98fd6f547024b745f033a574.jpg

You then get to this stage and get nervous......hopefully they work well!

447789350_20220223_132205(2).thumb.jpg.76bf751ddd9bcff2ddc2782f60eb8703.jpg

Relief!

719896012_20220223_132615(2).thumb.jpg.e83a9ed9ecaf848eb3de23e674502c5b.jpg

She looks good for an old lass! Few bits of the white need touched up after a year being moved around and moving house but otherwise she is almost done. Clear coat to go on then Motor and servos. It shows what you can do with an old model to give them some life again. Officially home straight now

Gary

Edited by Gary Clark 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Kougar is complete!! It's been a long slog but finally got her finished. The white on the wings is far from perfect and will probably be repainted at some point but it will do for now (I hate saying that because I know I won't be able to ignore it).

20220309_124246.thumb.jpg.3df9f5212bab52796df15b51109f26ca.jpg

quite a difference when you look back through some of the photos and there was a few times that i thought shed be better just going in the bin.

she weighs 5lbs exactly without the battery and 6lb 10oz with battery installed. This is almost a full lb over the expected flying weight from the kit but with the bigger motor and 6s battery I expected this and doesn't concern me too much

I still have to set up the receiver but everything else is done so potentially a maiden (if you can call it that since this is the 3rd one for this model) this weekend.

Thanks for following along

Gary

• Like 4

Yeah looks really nice. Another saved from the scrap heap and transformed into real looker.. I think every model I have ever built, there are things which niggle me, but as we all say, its only really us that knows. The rest of the folk wouldnt notice.. us modellers eh?