Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.

Hi, Having enjoyed the 2019 MB does anyone know what will be the 2020 model?

Normally there is a lively discussion on options so I though I might start things off here and see what every one's views are before someone far better than me makes the final decision!

Does anyone have a list of prior MB's just for reference?

It's all just down to the forum users. The magazine has never been prescriptive, forumites have always decided what to do and when.

In truth the early MBs were popular; a simple design was chosen and everyone did their own take on that. But interest has tailed off over recent years, especially as folks seem only interested in their own suggestions and can rarely agree on a simple common design.

Anyway, it's down to you folks to decide if and what you'd like to do. Over to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just recieved my copy of RCM&E Nov 19 issue. There is a very nice free plan of an old David Boddington model. Excellence which was designed for a 20 four stroke. Looking at the plan it would take a small 2 stroke and electic conversion looks to be simple.

I think this could be a good contender for a mass build.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 31/10/2019 16:28:46

• 2 weeks later...

Funny enough Pete, I have just had my Excellence free plan copied and enlarged by 15% at my local copy shop, as I thought what a nice design it is for either a 30 4ST or maybe an electric conversion. (indecision!)

I also think Peter Miller's forth-coming Moon Dancer 2 could be a good Mass Build choice as well, as we may have the plan for that as well before very long. (next month?)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 17:26:04

• 2 weeks later...

What about the structure of the Mass Build? I dropped out when the mass build was moved to the spring. For me buiilding is a winter activity. In the springtime there are so many other things competing for time, and when the weather is nice it is time to go out flying!

Tony Nyhuis his small jets may also be good candidates. Similar enough to give the feeling of building the "same" model, but still providing some variety.

Cheers, Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Only thought about you the other day as I was contemplating a pair of skis (for a plane !) just in case we had a lot of snow. Further deliberation said they are only good on reasonably packed snow which we rarely get. Idea abandoned but it still sounds like fun.

Apologies for going off topic everyone.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 14/11/2019 14:32:19

• 4 weeks later...

I agree Lucas, a mass build starting in the Spring seems illogical to me too. Starting about now seems to make sense as many builders find that they have some productive model building days available between Christmas and the New Year which helps to get a project moving.

Some interesting suggesting there Chris- keep them coming! I liked Peter Miller's Super Marauder, quite a thick wing section so might suit retracts? I think quite a few Can Doos were built when the plan was published, in fact I started one myself blush!

It seems that the PSSA F86 Sabre seems to be THE Mass Build for 2020.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I like the Citabria you put up there chris.

Mass builds are great when you get a good few discussions to follow and it certainly look the F-86 PSSA has done that.

Definitely agree that this is the time to get started a build as the garage is definitely warmer and less windy than the field.

I've never been part of a mass build and would certainly enjoy it.

Gary

What about one of Derek Woodward's designs? Bubbles, Bigga Bit, Little Special, Ms Jax, fair few designs to choose from.

If it needs to be a recent plan, the DB Excellence would work well. Simple build, good flyer, and the right size to work in both IC and electric.

I am a fan of some of Derek designs too. What about his Very Short Plane, it is very light and has plenty of wing area like a Lazy Bee. There is even a CNC set of parts too, I have the plan somewhere...

But I agree with Nigel, it has to be a recent plan in RCM&E which would suit electric as well as IC. Would anyone else be interested in an Excellence? An attractive Boddo design and a simple quick build too - you already have the plan!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/12/2019 20:56:51

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 17:23:17:

Funny enough Pete, I have just had my Excellence free plan copied and enlarged by 15% at my local copy shop, as I thought what a nice design it is for either a 30 4ST or maybe an electric conversion. (indecision!)

I also think Peter Miller's forth-coming Moon Dancer 2 could be a good Mass Build choice as well, as we may have the plan for that as well before very long. (next month?)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 17:26:04

Moon Dancer 2 looks a contender to me alongside Excellance

Peter

Best to get things decided asap in my view. How about a snap election in line with what is happening Thursdaywink

I have built Ballerina, Skywriter and Renaissance. All are great models and my Renaissance made it to Buckminster for the RCM and E Fly-in this year and also was in last months mag report. Well pleased.

Looking to go electric for the first time however as 4 strokes are not to easy to get these days.

Cheers

Peter

20190912_113313.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 11/12/2019 06:09:14

Chris, yes, Peter Russel's 262 is a good suggestion and appeals to me personally as I haven't built a delta before and it looks like a quick build too. It was a pull out plan in RCM&E May 2017 of course. Would anyone else consider building one if it was the 2020 mass build model?

Martyn, a scale 50in Tiger Moth would be a thing of beauty but I wonder how many people would want to build one this winter? I have mused about building the 'similar' 48in span DB Sport and Scale Cirrus Moth before now but I haven't got as far as clicking on 'buy' to date!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 11/12/2019 16:34:52