Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.

Posted by Low pass Pete on 11/12/2019 05:53:16:

Best to get things decided asap in my view. How about a snap election in line with what is happening Thursdaywink

I have built Ballerina, Skywriter and Renaissance. All are great models and my Renaissance made it to Buckminster for the RCM and E Fly-in this year and also was in last months mag report. Well pleased.

Looking to go electric for the first time however as 4 strokes are not to easy to get these days.

Cheers

Peter

20190912_113313.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 11/12/2019 06:09:14

Those look great pete. I'd like a bipe of some kind or maybe a twin? Just to try something a bit different to previous years

Gary

Yes, unusual and unconventional Gary but I cannot see there being too many takers?

Next months free pull out plan (available on 20 Dec) is Tony Nijhuis's Hawker Hunter which not only looks fab but flies very well too. This is the modelflying thread with some details, - be sure to check out the videos on the second and third pages. A brief description is on p.118 of December's RCM&E. It does tick the 'scale box' and is basically a simple model with a few building challenges no doubt. Lots of colour schemes to choose from too - most important. Being a new design with a full write up in the mag from no less than Tony Nijhuis, it is sure to inspire many modellers to have a go. There hasn't been an EDF Mass Build before so how about this one folks? It won't break the bank or consume too many precious balsa trees so it might be considered green too! wink 2

The only downside I can see is that it is not a biplane so not everyone will be happy crying

I meant to add that all details about the model are on Tony's website including availability of CNC parts and fans etc.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/12/2019 07:47:58

Last time I looked it wasn't a twin either wink

Good points about the recent design and current information available + an EDF not being on the MB before.

Minor concern is I would think it will be quite a quick flyer and those with very little or no experience of EDF's might not get beyond the maiden.

How about a poll to see who is intending to build and what experience they have (building + flying) that way the decision came be pitched at the right level. For example if there is only one novice the rest can help him/her along vs none of us having a clue and making a dogs dinner.

Another plus as its hand launch IMO getting edf's off long grass end normally ends up in one place and that's not the sky!

PS I would of course like a twin biplane, but am willing to compromise and seriously consider this.

I like your delta Rob, presumably a Peter Russel's 362. I would gladly build one if it was the MB for 2020.

A nice idea Martyn, it might encourage more participation in a MB and there are several 50mm EDF models 'in build' as we speak. It would also produce a greater variety of build blogs.

I agree Chris that an EDF Hunter is not really suitable for a beginner to fly but there are two sides to the hobby, aka building and flying. Does it matter that a newby has to find a more experienced club member to fly his new pride and joy? It would still give him satisfaction seeing it fly even if he was not ready to take the controls himself - yet.

The other downside of this choice of MB is that it is not for IC - or is it? Who would be the first to bolt a 15 2ST in the nose/tail? Sacrilege I hear you say?

Gary is happy to build anything, which is very easygoing of him!

Peter is seriously tempted.

So for me at least this would be my preference in order...

No.1) A TN Hawker Hunter (to include any 50mm EDFs), this would get my vote as a MB.

No.2) David Boddington's Excellence, the free plan featured in November's RCM&E. Perfect for IC 2ST or 30 4ST.

No.3) Peter Russel's classic 362 Delta. for IC or electric.

I appreciate that none of these models have two wings or engines!

Would anyone else express an interest in building one of these or any other suggestions for that matter for the MB?

Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 11/12/2019 19:27:41:

This is a bit unusual if anyone thinks a twin would be good.

Link

Gary

Love it, love everything about it! I may get the plan for my ever expanding list-to-make-for-sure-in-the-future-100%.

Given that the winner will probably be a low-wing, single engine monoplane, how about the Druine Turbulent?

Classic home-build, reasonably aerobatic, good large scale subject at a size that can easily fit in the car boot.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 12/12/2019 22:04:19:
Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 11/12/2019 19:27:41:

This is a bit unusual if anyone thinks a twin would be good.

Link

Gary

Love it, love everything about it! I may get the plan for my ever expanding list-to-make-for-sure-in-the-future-100%.

Given that the winner will probably be a low-wing, single engine monoplane, how about the Druine Turbulent?

Classic home-build, reasonably aerobatic, good large scale subject at a size that can easily fit in the car boot.

I like the Druine Turbulent and even already have the plans from Dennis Bryant!

Anyway in the idea of a easy build, affordable, appropriate for new pilots and attractive as a real plane but without the details of a scale model, what about a relatively simple old timer? Simple I said?.....then perhaps the Simplex should make a good mass build model!

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/mag27-simplex-40

You even have the possibility of going different sizes with this model, from small electric park flyer size to perhaps a larger 80" span powered by a classic OS 60 four stroke.

Edited By Jesus Cardin on 13/12/2019 09:25:12

Edited By Jesus Cardin on 13/12/2019 09:26:17

Hi all. Now the election is over we can all concentrate on MB 2020angel

I am finally finishing off a 58in Tiger Moth so another biplane would be a no for me. However I do like to fly a variety of types and the TN Hunter looks a contender for me. Not too expensive to put in the air and a ducted fan is something I have not tried before. Like the idea that electric set up is available via 4 Max. Bonus is that I have some suitable 3S batteries as well!.

So for me.

1.TN Hunter or

2. DB Excellence

Cheers

Peter

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 13/12/2019 11:19:40:

I can set up a little poll if people want that. If someone could just summarise the choices please....

That would be great David. Scanning through the thread there seem to be seven or eight positive responses to TN's Hunter etc. and two or three positive comments about David Boddington's 'Excellence' and likewise for 'a Delta' or more specifically Peter Russels 362 Delta. Also 'Contra' by John Rutter had some support too although one or two said they 'wanted a twin' (any twin?). The other suggestions did not receive much support. Perhaps these should be the basis for a poll?

Other suggestions which have just occurred to me and might well be supported as they are compact simple models;- Peter Miller's 'The Ohmen' and his unusual Stol Cub, both of which have been relatively recent plans in RCM&E.

That is my take on it anyway. What do others think?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/12/2019 15:41:45