Suggestions for sport planes for an OS 25 FX engine

S V

Hi SV

Not sure if you're looking for a build or an artf. If you want a build, I have been looking for a while at the Chili Breeze from Mike Delacole. Simple and easy to build but makes a very pretty model.
Plans here:
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/chilli-breeze-rc1749/
Also, interested in the Capiche 44" you mention. All I can find is the 52" version, so do you have a link to the smaller one?

Cheers

Jeff

There are several versions of NEW ERA on Outerzone and New Era 3 revisited seems a very good model for a .25. Read the write up and you may be convinced it is worth building. Otherwise build a Chilli Breeze but don't bother with the RM Aerobat - mine was very tricky to get everything in, midwing's are fiddly anyway and it didn't fly well at all.

Peter, Not sure you could class the Philibuster as a sports model. More like a mini pylon racer. It was fast and fun. Designed by Phil Greeno who along with Alan Mann were friendly rivals in Pylon racing during that era. Remember Alans Manneater?

You might have a look at 3 models from the Galaxy range at Pegasus - the Wasp ( looks like a small Mick Reeves Gangster ), the Wizard or the Jester ( near enough two wings for the price of one ), all trad', foam winged, British kits designed for 25-30 glow motors. Had several Galaxy kits myself over the years, never a dud amongst them. Including - r.i.p. - My overpowered little Spatman, a real YeeHaa R/E/T model that released your inner hooligan!

Posted by S V on 09/10/2019 19:25:53:

One more query - does the OS 25 FX compare favorably in power to a SC 32 - some of the plans I have call out 25 - 32 2 stroke engines, and I prefer being at the higher end of the recommended engine.

-Thanks!

The 32 will have the edge and if you put a Weston UK mini pipe on it it will really go Same crankcase size so I'd plump for the 32 as you can always use the throttle . The 25 is a good engine but doesnt have the grunt of the 32 . A 36 is even better and still the same size . Have flown fun fighters and fun flys on both 25 and 32 and would go for the 32 every time . The 25 will do the job but IMHO its better to have the option of a little more power.

Re your query about the Capiche  If the plan was a Malcolm Corbin plan then you can rest assured that its a good flyer and all of his plane were sorted  before being put out as plans unlike some other plans in the mags . Some of the later ARTF Capiches had modified wings and some were horrible things to fly and by then  had nothing to do with Malcolm . I believe the latest range are fine but Malcolm has not had any input for some years since he left the hobby.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/10/2019 08:45:49

If you want a plan that is quick and easy to build but can tie istels into knots there ia laways "Swmap Rat"

Or if you want something that is really pretty and would fly nicely an be aerobatic there is always Jezebel on on a similar line Scoville Star Dust or Gold Fever

These are all formula 1 air racers. The latter two were in RC Model World

swamp rat email 001.jpg

20140716_7.jpg

Jezebel

Jezebel was powered by a .32 but a 25 would make her a bitmorce civiliased

For a general purpose model you cannot beat a thick & blunt wing section. One of the few of Boddingtons designs that had such a section is Ghost Rider 51 or the larger Sky Rider. Both obtainable as a plan and laser cut wing ribs from DB Sport & Scale ( 9.50 for the Ghost Rider ribs a real bargain and time saver)

Ghost Rider 50 plan is on Outerzone ( it's an older version ) note the spar design and the way it avoids putting webs on separately. Could be a time saver if you buy precut ribs.

Thank you all for the excellent feedback and suggestions. I am a huge fan of Peter Miller - having converted several of his .25 size planes to electric - Messy Wolfe, Harmony. Now going back to I.C for propulsion!

I am leaning towards one of - Malcolm Corbin's 44" Capiche (plans purchased from Sarik Hobbies) or New Era 3 revisited!

Will keep you all posted!

Thanks!

"Otherwise build a Chilli Breeze but don't bother with the RM Aerobat - mine was very tricky to get everything in, midwing's are fiddly anyway and it didn't fly well at all."

I disagree about it flying badly - mine flies just great.

The mid wing layout does adds a bit of work at build time but not that much..

Chilli Breeze is an excellent model.

What about Pete Miller's Miss Demeanor?

Or, a Mach 20?

**LINK**

Or a Hammer?

**LINK**

Or something a bit faster? Gripen...

**LINK**

Or a delta? 362...

**LINK**

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SV

Thanks for the link to the Mini Capiche plan. Interested enough to order the plan which arrived today.

Thinking of this one as a winter build, but the plan lacks details of the construction.

I know you said you had the plan, but I wonder if you might also have the magazine article that goes with it.

If so, is there any way you could get it photocopied and sent to me, or alternatively scanned and e-mailed.

Hope you can help me

Jeff