NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?

I use the same 3 position switch on all my models. Away cuts throttle on ic and electric and isolates the ignition on petrol. Middle position is a fast idle so I xan carry the model without worrying about knocking the throttle when walking out with the model. Switch towards me is normal throttle mode.

Martyn

It's not a greed "thing", but I have two throttle kill switches on my Tx. One is a mode change switch that kills the throttle in one position (amongst other things) and the other is a spring loaded switch on the right (usually the trainer switch) that is used when launching my competition glider with my left hand. (for a timed motor run).

Do you mean 'throttle hold' or 'throttle kill', two different things.

I use throttle hold on my electric models (and all helicopters) to stop the motor from starting if I accidentally knock the throttle stick until I am ready to fly.

I use a 'throttle kill' on my IC models - so that zero throttle is set to low idle and 'throttle kill' closes the carb barrel completely and cuts the engine.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 30/10/2019 14:57:49

My own encoders have a hardware throttle lock switch which locks the throttle closed regardless of stick position, and also a soft-lock on the stick such that on switch-on, and immediately after the hardware lock has been released, the throttle must be fully closed before it will open.  It alarms to tell you if you're acting against either lock for any reason.  Also, for ESC safety, throttle is the only channel which can't be reversed.

I agree with others who have said that all lecky flyers should use throttle lock. Fingers are very delicate but essential and allowing the ketchup to escape is a Bad Thing 

Edited By Phil Green on 30/10/2019 15:34:01

Yes I do use a throttle safety switch. On my DX7 (G2) it's the H switch on the top right side of the transmitter just above the aileron /elevator stick if you fly mode2. I've set it up as a mix with the THRO CUT function and is on when the switch is towards me and off when away. That's so that I can hook it with my right index finger when about to launch or take off then push it back when the model lands. Easy to do on Spektrum, Taranis companion would be completely beyond me I'm afraid.

Hi All

Flew helicopters for many years, where throttle lock (more properly throttle hold) was pretty much standard.

On going back to planks, I could see the safety value of being able to disable the throttle while still leaving the other controls working for pre-flight checks.

Most transmitters have a Throttle Hold in their heli programming but not so many in fixed wing. I have a number of early JR transmitters, 2610 and 2720, but is easy to arrange a mix to perform this function. Worth mentioning that one of the cheapest, FlySky FS-i6 does in fact have this in its fixed wing programming as well.

Score one for FlySky.

Jeff

There is little doubt IMO that using a Throttle Cut switch is a hugely worthwhile safety factor on electric powered models. However a word of warning .... I use Spektrum (DX9) and found that with some ESC's there can be a danger of the electric motor bursting into life as soon as the throttle switch is turned off.

Throttle cut sets the throttle at -130 on the DX9 and reverts to -100 when the switch is turned off (with the throttle stick at bottom). However it seems some ESCs read the off position (-130) as their initialisation registration point when powered up, so that when you switch the TC switch off, it thinks -100 is actually +30. It is therefore important to ensure that the throttle stick TRIM button is set to the very bottom rather than at the centre point. When this is done it all works OK and the danger of an unexpected start is averted.

• 3 months later...

Romeo Whisky,

I don't think its a TX issue, IMO its a ESC issue as when it powers up its takes the signal from the RX as its low throttle position.

Reason - I have a couple of models with RX batteries and separate main motive battery e.g. BH Mossie.

TX on, RX powered up, control checks and canopy on. Ensure throttle hold is OFF

Connect main battery as its at the front of the nose and pop nose on with magnets. Throttle hold ON

Now I can lift it if the bench and take it to the flight line. Final checks and set rates, then ready to go!

I fully endorse the thumb over the throttle stick when carrying the TX and the throttle kill for electric and IC.

PS on the IC front earlier this year I was having trouble mechanically setting up the throttle on my 180 Laser Yak with cowl fitted. Started a treat, run a treat and had set the throttle too far open so could not fully shut the barrel!

Left standing next to the running engine on the IC bench trying to work out how you stop a glow engine safely - no access to cab fuel line, not easy to access the throttle servo so resorted to fuel line and plug the tank vent. Stopped in the end.

• 1 month later...

In my post of 27/10/2019, I stated that my Hitec Eclipse 7 had a dedicated hold switch to isolate the throttle until you were ready to fly but my new Flash 8 didn't and I had to program a switch to do the same thing. While reading the manual today to try and set up a heli, I noticed right at the beginning of the manual a picture showing the layout of the buttons used to access the menus'. The "return/back" button was also marked in light red as a throttle lock. I tried this out and it does what it says and stops the throttle working. The screen shows the position of the throttle in percentage but is also marked as "locked". It needs to be pressed longer than a press/ release so can't easily be tirned off without a definite intent. Nowhere is this mentioned in the main manual pages. Not the first time I have been confused by makers manuals.

John

• 4 months later...